FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Growing mint
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Growing mint
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-02 7:05 pm   Permalink

I have been told that mint is easy to grow at home. It has been mentioned that it is in fact so easy to grow that it will go "bamboo" on ya and take over the yard.

Given that in my area it seems to do rather well, I have decided to give it a shot in spite of it's invasive nature.

I'll likely start it indoors and move it to a large container outside once it's established. I've done some research on the web, but wondered...

...does anyone here "grow their own"?

Mint that is.

I'd like to hear any tips if ya got 'em.

pele

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Talkie-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-02 8:19 pm   Permalink

That depends on the species and variety of mint grown. Some mint like common mint, lemon mint,peppermint and spearmint grow rather fast. mints like pineapple mint cinnaomon scented mint are very slow growers. I have had mixed reactions to choclate mint. Personally I like pineapple mint because of it's varigated leaves subtle pineapple flavor and slow growth . Also I noticed that the slower growing mints are not as invasive. There is a Mint called Corsican mint which I like and think it would be a great groundcover in a container and would look great in a container with a fairly large tiki the small dark leaves and musky-minty scent would be a good contrast to a large wooden style tiki

but hey that's my 2 cents!

View Profile of Talkie-Tiki Send a personal message to Talkie-Tiki  Email Talkie-Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-02 10:20 pm   Permalink

Hey pele,
Plant it in a sunny spot and use good topsoil around it. Also water it everyday to get it going. Once it gets going, it does go wild. By summer's end, it will be full and green. I use it in iced tea or homemade spaghetti sauce. It's also good to use in a marinade (consisting of olive oil, garlic, mint, salt and pepper) for steaks or chicken when grilling. It will come up every spring even after a long, icy winter. If you have your lawn sprayed for weeds, make sure the mint doesn't get sprayed, though.

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-03 06:22 am   Permalink

I had it growing like crazy outdoors, but no luck with it indoors (pineapple mint) once we moved to a garden-less home.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-03 8:21 pm   Permalink

Most people who grow mint have it run away on them. Plant the whole pot containing the mint into the ground, but even this is not foolproof.

Don the Beachcomber was having trouble getting mint for garnishing his drinks so he smuggled a few mint seeds to Hawaii in the brim of his hat. In about a year his gardener was suppling mint to all his restaraunts.

[ This Message was edited by: captnkirk on 2004-01-03 20:23 ]

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-03 8:52 pm   Permalink

Pele, what zone are you in? Although I haven't heard of a zone mint won't flourish in. I do know mint likes moisture. Eventhough I live in the Desert and I have several mint plants outside, yes, some growing where I don't want it. I have tried to kill the unwanted plants by ignoring them, stopped watering the area, mowing over it. The mint has won the battle so far. Once it's in a spot it's there for good.

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-03 11:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-01-03 20:21, captnkirk wrote:
Plant the whole pot containing the mint into the ground, but even this is not foolproof.

If you grow the mint in its own container rather than in the ground, it shouldn't spread. I use that method to grow catnip indoors.

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-04 12:16 am   Permalink

I grow the common mint for use in, and as a garnesh for drinks like the mai tai. Having Mint around at a moments notice is very cool. Booze keeps well, but if you have to buy the herbs, you will certainly be caught short. My mint tries to get out of control, but I have a party and make mojitos, mai tais, etc. and trim it way back. This may be an expensive form of "weed" control, but you make friends by doing it.

Cheers,

KT

View Profile of Kreaky Tiki Send a personal message to Kreaky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kava King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-05 11:53 am   Permalink

A galvanized washtub makes an excellent prison for the demon weed.

View Profile of Kava King Send a personal message to Kava King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-31 9:45 pm   Permalink

This thread deserves a bump.

Having just been to the store to buy a mint plant, I noticed what Home Depot called a "mint" mint (didn't catch the species) has a very different look than peppermint (mentha peperita). Neither of which seems to be what stores and bars are selling down here in FL (I really want to guess that retail variety is spearmint, aka. Mentha spicata, but don't have enough facts). Anyone favor a specific type of grown mint for drinks over the other types?

I bough both with the hopes of a taste test later on in the growing process. Got to find a spearmint now.

Just for fun (but way off topic), here's a link for all sort of Mint growing facts and some historic fun stuff. Yeah, its gears toward Houston, but the rest is still valid for us newbie green-thumbers.
http://www.herbsociety-stu.org/Mint.htm

NOTE: Edited to add genus & species of mint plants.

[ This Message was edited by: I dream of tiki 2008-04-01 06:30 ]

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-01 06:18 am   Permalink

I live in Washington DC, so I have to grow my mint in a window box on my balcony. Not only did it mostly take over the window box, but even after our particularly harsh winter, small sprouts were still there throughout.

Growing mint is about the easiest thing I've ever done. If anything, it's a bigger challenge to limit its growth. For people with gardens, I would suggest growing it in a pot anyway.

Spirited Remix - cocktails and spirits blog
http://spiritedremix.blogspot.com

View Profile of DJ HawaiianShirt Send a personal message to DJ HawaiianShirt  Goto the website of DJ HawaiianShirt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BrickHorn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-01 07:54 am   Permalink

I remember mint growing like a weed in our yard as a kid. Yet, somehow, my wife managed to kill her mint plant. I swear she's the botanical Angel of Death.

View Profile of BrickHorn Send a personal message to BrickHorn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-01 09:26 am   Permalink

Unless you're in an ideal climate, mint will not do as well in a pot as in the ground. And it'll take even more time and energy to grow it indoors.

Unlike Bamboo, though, mint 'rhizomes'(roots, really) grow on the surface of the ground (or very close under). If you discover and create a joy for tending to your garden space, you can very easily keep mint contained.

If you wish to spend less time in your garden, do like other have said (Talkie Tiki, for one) and choose a specialty (pineapple, apple, banana, cinnamon, orange) that's a slower-growing variety.

Here in Oakland, chocolate mint is a racehorse; so I wouldn't include it in this category. If anyone wants cuttings (of chocolate, orange, apple, banana, lemon, ginger, cinnamon, and peppermint), we've got 'em.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
54 house of bamboo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-04-01 10:02 am   Permalink

Moroccan mint is my favourite. What's that called in the US I wonder?

Mentha spicata 'Nana' or 'Moroccan'

The Stevenson Wedding Mug by Cheekytiki, 2006

[ This Message was edited by: 54 house of bamboo 2008-04-01 10:15 ]

View Profile of 54 house of bamboo Send a personal message to 54 house of bamboo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-01 7:56 pm   Permalink

Spearmint (mentha spicata) is the type you want to use in mojitos, julips, and as the garnish in tiki drinks. I grow it in the front flower bed. Peppermint doesn't have as strong a scent or flavor, it seems to me. I had both going for a while, but it all died out during a hot, dry summer. When I replanted, I only went back with spearmint.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation