FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Growing mint
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Growing mint
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 12:01 pm   Permalink

I grow my mint in a large pot on the back porch. This does well, except that it does limit its growth somewhat. I'm never quite able to get leaves as large as those used by the Mai-Kai, Trader Vic's, etc. But it's a trade-off I'm willing to make because it's simpler to maintain. The big thing about growing it in a pot is to keep it in semi-shade and make sure it doesn't dry out in the summer. And keep it pinched back too. As to varieties, I've stuck to peppermint and spearmint.

One thing I definitely do before plopping a mint sprig on top of my Mai-Tais and Zombies is to give it a good smack once to release the aroma.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-13 03:19 am   Permalink

I tried growing my own last summer in a couple of pots, but 1)The place I chose was too shady, 2)The place I chose was so out of the way, I sorta forgot about it.

This year, I'm making it a priority. I pledge to do a better job of growing mint.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-04-13 06:43 am   Permalink

About two years ago I received one of those Aerogrow hydroponic thingies as a gift. I use it to grow my mint year 'round indoors as the sun and temperatures are way to hot here in Florida in the spring & summer to grow mint outdoors year 'round.. I have had excellent luck with this and am able to grow mint with generous-sized leaves. I just buy packages of Ferry Morse seeds locally, and only use five of the seven planting spots to allow for vigorous growth, and have an extender for the light to allow for extra height. I use their nutrients to get the seeds started and then, once they start growing, switch to liquid Miracle Grow and they just take off!

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wentiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-04-13 08:22 am   Permalink

Nothing beats homegrown mint but if you need large quantities I generally hit Thai groceries. They sell it in huge quantities insanely cheap. Vietnamese markets too, just be careful that it isn't "Vietnamese Mint." That one is great for pho, less so in a Mai Tai.

This year we are trying to grow our own, should be interesting.

View Profile of wentiki Send a personal message to wentiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tacky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-25 7:56 pm   Permalink

I grow spearmint. The cultivar is "Kentucky Colonel"-it's a bit milder and sweeter than the usual spearmint and mine has pretty decent sized leaves. It is in a container-a large one-right outside my tikiroom door.

After reading about pineapple mint (I had forgotten about it!) and banana mint (never heard of that one!) I want to start some more mints.

Off topic, kinda: I just planted a piece of ginger from the grocery store. I've heard you can get it to grow this way. Some peeps say 'they' spray something on the rhizomes so they won't sprout, but I've been told otherwise by people who have grown it! So we'll see. Fresh ginger root, fresh mint, fresh limes...what next? Maybe my banana will fruit!

Tacky

View Profile of Tacky Tiki Send a personal message to Tacky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-04-25 8:12 pm   Permalink

Hey Tacky!

I tried ginger, just stuck a grocery store root in the ground. It started to sprout but it was in an area where my fountain splashed it all the time - it got waterlogged and died

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tacky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-30 8:38 pm   Permalink

One week later...still no sprouts. But the mint is going crazy!

We aren't having the best weather right now-warm, cloudy, chance of rain. Must be a tropical storm. Hopefully the plants will still love it.

I think I'll try the ginger infused rum tomorrow-I just smelled it and it reminded me of Pinesol. I'm scared!!!

Tacky

View Profile of Tacky Tiki Send a personal message to Tacky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-12 10:27 am   Permalink

Once mint gets going it tries to take over like you see here. This was a 4 " mint plant 3 years ago and its speading into this upper bed.

Here is my pineapple and spearmint in containers. Looks cool next to the door and smells good too.

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beatlesque2

Posted: 2009-05-19 11:29 am   Permalink

I have no idea how to grow mint. I know a lovely plant that goes very well with drinks in Tiki mugs. You take these....errr...wait a minute...forget I mentioned it....really....I was never here...err...I....uhhh....(step, step, step, step,....door slam).

View Profile of Beatlesque2 Send a personal message to Beatlesque2      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-05-20 07:50 am   Permalink

You can't use THOSE leaves as a garnish, you could put an eye out!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-20 1:36 pm   Permalink

I'm growing mint at home for the first time. A type called Orange Mint. I was told to plant it under the garden hose spigot (mine leaks a bit) so it will get a little extra moisture. I live in Michigan and it seems to be doing great.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-22 2:14 pm   Permalink

Alright here is a dumb question for ya. First time mint grower. Is there a proper way to pick mint? Most likely with a freshly made Mai Tai in ones hand. Seriously is there a way to pick the mint sprigs that doesn't effect the plant and allows it to keep growing? Or is it like a weed and just don't worry about it and pick a hand full? Thanks, I'll take my answer of the air.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2009-05-22 14:16 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tacky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-27 8:12 pm   Permalink

Just in case there are others who um, aren't veteran mint growers....

Just pinch off a sprig here and there as you need it. It will branch every place you pinch it.

Pinch your mint regularly to keep the plant from getting leggy-you know, long stalks with leaves farther apart. So garnish all your drinks, cuz you'll need to in order to keep up with your mint growth once it really gets going.

My Kentucky Colonel mint is in a phase of growing humongi leaves. I'm pinching back some of the smaller leafed stalks and letting the gargantuan leaves grow to see how big they'll get!

time to go um, pinch some mint.....

Tacky the mint pincher

DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-29 9:20 pm   Permalink

I'm definitely a mint grower. Spearmint. I use so much during the summer, however, that I do often have to resort to going to Vietnamese shops to buy my mint. I guess the key is to let the mint cultivate and grow crazy first, before picking it.

The only other kind I would recommend for cocktails and in Italian cooking would be Applemint, which is a hybrid of Spearmint (most mint plants are), and which tastes more spearmint-y (albeit more mild) than apple-y. And yes, once the mint plant starts cultivating it will grow like crazy. During the winter the leaves, etc. may and probably will die off, pending which region you live in and where you locate the mint plants. Heavy snow over long accumulation will certainly kill the leaves off, etc. However, should they die off, the roots will still be healthy and you will see them return in spring (no matter what region you're in).

I would disagree about mint requiring lots of sunshine. I've had mint flourish in shaded, moist areas. Another thing is mint sprigs placed in shallow water in a clear glass will often produce roots, after a time (and for this they do require some sunlight). So should you run out during the autumn or winter this is a splendid way to initiate the production of more mint (indoors, of course). Once again, let it grow crazy first before you start picking. Picking too much too soon will hinder its growth.

View Profile of DJ Terence Gunn Send a personal message to DJ Terence Gunn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-08 04:39 am   Permalink

Bongo's Mint Farm:

I don't really know what kind of mint I'm growing... but it works very well as a garnish for my drinks at home. Smells and looks great. I water it from a leilani tiki mug.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation