FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Growing mint
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Growing mint
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-08 1:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-08 04:39, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
Bongo's Mint Farm:

I don't really know what kind of mint I'm growing... but it works very well as a garnish for my drinks at home. Smells and looks great. I water it from a leilani tiki mug.

Hard to say from the photo, but the leaves look similar to the peppermint we have growing. I also have pineapple mint (which does OK) and just recently planted spearmint. So we should have mint covered.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-16 12:04 am   Permalink

The mint I had in the sunny spot in the ground -- died. The mint I put in a pot in a semi-sunny area -- died.

Because of my lack of success planting mint in the sun, I opted to plant it in two different spots on the east side of my house which gets morning sun and is pretty shady. The 1st spot gets partial sun the 2nd spot get almost all shade. The mint in the shade is throwing out runners and growing like crazy, it's more than doubled in size. The mint in the partial sun is thriving, but it's not as happy and only about 1/2 the size of the the mint in the shade.

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-09 05:16 am   Permalink

It's SPRING! and my mint garden has sprouted back! If only this climate would support a lime tree.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-09 06:59 am   Permalink

WARNING WARNING WARNING

Just remember mint is an invasive plant. If you do not plant it in a separate pot or take measures to contain it it will spread every where. Short of killing the entire lawn with herbicide, nothing you do will stop it.

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-09 07:02 am   Permalink

garden full of mint... where is the problem?

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Carpathia
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-22 08:55 am   Permalink

Here's my story with mint. I was unemployed last summer, mint seemed like a logical idea. I planted chocolate mint, spearmint, peppermint, pineapple mint, and orange mint. Most of these went in 6 inch bowls, though the pepper and spearment were put in a long planter. Both were placed in a planter that got decent nighttime shade, watered once with miracle gro, and then left to its own devices.

The chocolate mint took off. It overran its pot, sending feelers down to the ground pretty damn quick. This is a menthol-y mint. Biting the leaves numbed the tongue, but worked well in drinks. I hacked away at these to prevent them from getting to leggy.

Peppermint and spearmint did allright; could have been better, could have been worse. I remember these grew relatively slowly.

Orange mint tasted like basil, smelled like oranges. I didn't use this in drinks too much, but it was decent in cooking.

Pineapple mint did not smell like pineapple; it is apple mint that has a recessive albino gene that causes variegation. Again, didn't use in drinks all too often as it lacked a good minty punch, but it was otherwise allright.

I'd say chocolate mint was by far the most impressive, both in terms of sheer leaf size and taste.

View Profile of Carpathia Send a personal message to Carpathia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-22 11:33 am   Permalink

acknowledging that mint does have weedlike properties, i do have to admit that where it has grown out into our grass, i love to mow in those locations coz the lawnmower produces a zone of MINT SMELL when you run over it.

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-22 1:10 pm   Permalink

I did not like Chocolate mint in drinks. It does grow vigorously. Better than spearmint, but the good smell of it quickly goes away and is rather bitter in a drink.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Pop
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-04 6:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-12 10:27, Ojaitimo wrote:
Once mint gets going it tries to take over like you see here. This was a 4 " mint plant 3 years ago and its speading into this upper bed.

Here is my pineapple and spearmint in containers. Looks cool next to the door and smells good too.

I have the mint as in the bottom pic growing in my yard, the top of the sprigs are rounded. The underside of the leaves look kinda "hairy".What kind of mint is it? thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki pop 2010-07-05 08:39 ]

View Profile of Tiki Pop Send a personal message to Tiki Pop      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amybean
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-07-04 6:42 pm   Permalink

It might be peppermint. I have some too. Some of the leaves are solid color, and some are mottled white and green.

View Profile of amybean Send a personal message to amybean  Email amybean Goto the website of amybean     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-06 07:17 am   Permalink

Thought I'd revive this thread, to ask for a recommendation for a big, leafy mint that will grow well indoors over a Midwest winter. I've been growing mint in pots indoors/out for a few seasons now, and the Spearmint I have doesn't grow as large as the sprigs I'd get in cocktails from a decent Tiki joint. Thoughts?

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-06 09:34 am   Permalink

I've tried growing mint both outdoors and indoors but the leaves were never very big. I've had very good luck buying a bunch at Safeway, wrapping the stalks in a wet paper towel, and storing it in a plastic produce bag in the refrigerator. For $2-$3 I get big beautiful leaf garnish more generous than any Tiki joint serves. It keeps around 3 weeks.

I considered buying a $30 herb saver but Amazon reviews stated that the paper towel method works just as well and I think they are right. you can store a lot more mint that way as well.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-06 2:27 pm   Permalink

I put mint in my garden, not caring that it would take over, last season. This year I had more mint than I could ever use. It is still producing all winter and summer.

I have learned, just the generic mint from Home Depot is fine. The leaves on mine were baseball sized sometimes. It took over my garden in 1 year from one little plant.

I live in San Diego, so I think it might be an ideal climate for mint here. So, mint likes water, but it doesn't matter to it as much as sun. Sun will keep it going forever. If you were growing all winter in the midwest, I would suggest a small grow light. I would have it on for 8 hours a day. I think that this would produce the most mint for you.

I use mint in a lot of drinks and it is great to have everlasting mint. You can freeze it too and use it anytime. Also, if you do NOT wash it, it will last longer than washed mint. You can pluck it and throw it in the fridge for weeks, just wash it off when you plan to use it. Once mint gets going there is no stopping it.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-07 06:48 am   Permalink

In the name of Tiki, a grow light may be in order, and hope the ATF won't raid the house!

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-07 10:46 am   Permalink

If they do raid the house, make 'em a Mai Tai and everything will once again be right in the world!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation