FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Growing mint
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Growing mint
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-07 12:31 pm   Permalink

Use larger pots then what you might use for other herbs
you will get a much larger leaf, plenty of sun is important
cold temps will kill the plant above ground, but can grow again in the spring
I like English Mint myself, but also grow Pineapple mint.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Greg_D_R
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-22 11:22 pm   Permalink

This is a timely topic for me. Knowing a mai tai party was on the horizon, I got three sprouted mint plants (Kentucky Colonel) from a greenhouse that was selling on ebay. I sat them on my kitchen counter directly under a fluorescent light, each little plant in its own 6" plastic pot. 3 weeks later, they've grown quite a bit, but I have small leaves and long stems, and some of the bottom leaves have dead spots. No idea if it's too much water, too little light, or both.

View Profile of Greg_D_R Send a personal message to Greg_D_R      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-23 3:44 pm   Permalink

Too little light would be my guess.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-25 06:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-01 10:02, 54 house of bamboo wrote:
Moroccan mint is my favourite. What's that called in the US I wonder?

Mentha spicata 'Nana' or 'Moroccan'

The Stevenson Wedding Mug by Cheekytiki, 2006

[ This Message was edited by: 54 house of bamboo 2008-04-01 10:15 ]

I grow my mint indoors and on my balcony during the summer because of our harsh climate (sweden) and it grows like crazy in a large wide low pot and supplies enough mint for my drinks and food. And even though i`m in new orleans during five weeks every summer the mint still just grows with occasional watering from my room companion.

When the fall comes it starts to decline and then i throw it away and re-start with fresh cuttings from the store next spring. I buy Moroccan mint and plant a bunch of cuttings that i first root in a glass of water ( they root very quickly)Then i top them regularly. Never had any problems with growing mint, gotta be the easiest plant on earth to grow.

I have tried a a few other varietes like the chocolate mint for example but in think the best one is the moroccan.

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Greg_D_R
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-26 6:13 pm   Permalink

In the past 2-3 years, I've noticed that the mentha spicata plants that I buy every year from my local Lowe's, as they mature, quickly take on a very skunky odor, yes, they start to smell like another recreational green that some of you may have experience with. Mentha Spicata always has a strong odor, but I prefer my Mai Tais to smell like mint, not herb This year, I'm using more "spearmint" instead, (more triangular, smoother leaves) and it stays minty, but sweet smelling. All the front porch plants are loving this hot, wet summer.

View Profile of Greg_D_R Send a personal message to Greg_D_R      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-26 7:27 pm   Permalink

Wow... are you planting them in containers or something? I've never heard of someone needing to re-purchase mint every year. I keep mine in an isolated bed that has no ability to reach the regular soil and I usually end up ripping out all but a few plants just to let it take over again.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-27 10:45 am   Permalink

I think I'm using spearmint as well instead of peppermint. They're all from Lowe's as well. I don't think I have the latin names handy, my plants are several years old. But I never get any sort of problems with a musty smell or taste. The only problem I have is that if I don't cut them enough they go to seed and become thinner/less bushy. They need to be cut periodically. Think I'm gonna have a small cocktail party at home tonight -- will go heavy on the garnishes to use some up and to encourage more growth.

Mint spreads quickly and is hard to control. Comments made by Wizzard are worth heeding.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-27 11:52 am   Permalink

Mint usually has very little smell until it starts getting damaged (such as when you slap it, pick it, etc) or the plant is stressed. That makes me suspect it might just be getting too much/to little (depending on the scenario) water.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-27 3:16 pm   Permalink

Each October I go to my local Lowes or Wal-Mart and purchase 10 or 12 "Sweet Mint" plants and then re-plant thm in to my larger pots on my patio. I water them daily, give them full sunlight and feed weekly with Miracle Grow. I've been doing this for years and years. These plants have nice large leaves and last me until about mid May or June when it just gets too hot here in Florida and they burn up. I repeat the process.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-28 08:44 am   Permalink

Ah, watering. I have become very experienced with drip irrigation. Nothing is so nice as knowing that when you're away for a few days, or you're simply forgetful, that your plants are being watered for you with a $25 timer and some drip tubing.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-28 09:17 am   Permalink

The only problem with drip irrigation, at least in drier climates, is that it often isn't enough for larger plants. You really don't want it for fruit trees either since it isn't enough and causes the roots to stay close to the surface which can make the tree more likely to fall.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-28 10:27 am   Permalink

Wizzard, you are absolutely correct. For larger plants (and trees) you would use higher volume "bubblers" and other similar emitters to get the same effects - water savings, automation, etc. You can also use more than one emitter -- five 1-gallon/hour emitters left running for an hour will apply five gallons of water to a large fruit tree.

I was referring to watering mint plants for which we would use small drip emitters depending on the size and quantity of the plants. They make sprayers and other inline water volume controls for spray micro-irrigation to address all kinds of needs in all kinds of climates. Check out the drip irrigation section of a Lowe's store next time you're out there. And look around Palm Springs and other hot weather climates to see how they water their plants. Also, Disney integrates misters and drippers of various kinds into their topiaries and sometimes those are visible as well.

Drip irrigation is fun and effective. Now I can drink too much at my home bar (or any other bar) and still ensure that my garnishes get watered on schedule. To quote John in GE's Carousel of Progress, "Folks, now that's progress!"

wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-28 10:38 am   Permalink

Yeah, for stuff I rip out at the end of a season (most production crops) it is great. I actually have a networked controller for the system that also modifies the volume based on what is planted there and the weather.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-28 10:43 am   Permalink

That's great! I've thought about going in that direction, but then too much automation might discourage me from looking at things. I'm still considering more automation, but I'm not convinced that anything I buy right now will be around in a couple more years. And that's important because I would start it and expand it in segments. Your post is encouraging.

wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-28 11:07 am   Permalink

With the irrigation controller, I use rain machine, it might be here a few years from now. But I am not sure how it will exist in the future. The product itself is better than anything else on the market since it is easier to set up (same use of wires and will work with old systems), program, and adjust. But the higher pricetag would scare away interest from companies like rainbird since many customers probably wouldn't care. Google might be interested since it would go with the Nest line.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation