FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Growing mint
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
Growing mint
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2014-06-28 12:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-28 11:07, wizzard419 wrote:
With the irrigation controller, I use rain machine, ...

http://www.rainmachine.com/index.html

This looks awesome! It's wifi enabled and adjusts watering based on local forecasts, temperature, and rainfall data.
Thanks for the heads up. I want one.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-28 12:21 pm   Permalink

Yep, if you set up port forwarding you can also then control it when you're not home as well. That and it has an app that allows you to not have to be near the controller to do things.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-28 12:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-28 12:03, Hakalugi wrote:
Quote:

On 2014-06-28 11:07, wizzard419 wrote:
With the irrigation controller, I use rain machine, ...

http://www.rainmachine.com/index.html

This looks awesome! It's wifi enabled and adjusts watering based on local forecasts, temperature, and rainfall data.
Thanks for the heads up. I want one.

It won't be of much use in California, since we have none of those weather or rainfall issues.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-28 12:46 pm   Permalink

It actually is quite useful here, not only does it reduce output in rain or on cool days, it also bumps it up when it is hot and dry out (based on your microclimate).

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-28 12:52 pm   Permalink

Wizzard, it looks like you've encouraged more folks than just me! Thanks for the hot tips. Everyone knows that wilted or dead mint plants suck. (Just had to throw that last thing in to relate back to the thread title, ha...)

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Greg_D_R
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-28 2:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-26 19:27, wizzard419 wrote:
Wow... are you planting them in containers or something? I've never heard of someone needing to re-purchase mint every year. I keep mine in an isolated bed that has no ability to reach the regular soil and I usually end up ripping out all but a few plants just to let it take over again.

Correct. I buy them every year, let them grow for a couple of weeks before I start cutting off bunches for mai tai garnish. I don't have a flower bed or place to plant, though I could make one in the back yard. How does one make an isolated bed, especially one that would keep mint from getting out? Just curious.

View Profile of Greg_D_R Send a personal message to Greg_D_R      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-28 3:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-28 14:48, Greg_D_R wrote:
Quote:

On 2014-06-26 19:27, wizzard419 wrote:
Wow... are you planting them in containers or something? I've never heard of someone needing to re-purchase mint every year. I keep mine in an isolated bed that has no ability to reach the regular soil and I usually end up ripping out all but a few plants just to let it take over again.

Correct. I buy them every year, let them grow for a couple of weeks before I start cutting off bunches for mai tai garnish. I don't have a flower bed or place to plant, though I could make one in the back yard. How does one make an isolated bed, especially one that would keep mint from getting out? Just curious.

Think of it like Alcatraz. You would need a bed with a physical barrier at the bottom and on a hard/solid surface surrounding it. Because mint spreads prolifically through even the tiniest of remnant you need to handle it in the same way you would handle an ecological threat. When I pull the mint I usually end up pulling a decently thick carpet of their roots as well.

Greg_D_R
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-29 12:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-28 15:26, wizzard419 wrote:

Think of it like Alcatraz. You would need a bed with a physical barrier at the bottom and on a hard/solid surface surrounding it. Because mint spreads prolifically through even the tiniest of remnant you need to handle it in the same way you would handle an ecological threat. When I pull the mint I usually end up pulling a decently thick carpet of their roots as well.

Aaaand that is why I re-buy potted plants every year Thanks guys, but I'm more of a craftsman than a farmer. I'd rather be cutting wood or wiring lights than digging rocks out of my backyard.

View Profile of Greg_D_R Send a personal message to Greg_D_R      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation