FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Traders / Trader Vic's - Beverly Hills, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Traders / Trader Vic's - Beverly Hills, CA (restaurant)
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-02 9:30 pm   Permalink

Name:Trader Vic's - Beverly Hills
Type:restaurant
Street:Beverly Hilton, 9876 Wilshire Blvd., at Santa Monica Blvd.
City:Los Angeles
State:CA
Zip:90210
Phone:(310) 274-7777

Description:
Trader Vic's Beverly Hills is the tiki palace of the City of the Angels (in my opinion). Tikis abound both inside and out, the myriad of tiki concoctions are served in a variety of tiki mugs and tiki bowls and the decor and vibe are some of the best remaining examples of Polynesian pop.

At the entrance, an 8 foot tall tiki next to the extended A frame entrance welcome the tiki worshiper. A dramatic bamboo inspired light fixture dangles inside the A frame. Large polynesian designs decorate the exterior and the neon Trader Vic's script dominates the busy intersection of Wilshire & Santa Monica. It is a facade worthy of Trader Vic's (unlike the San Francisco location).

Inside there are approximately one dozen tiki poles. Most face the walk way, not the bar, so be sure and enter the bar the long way.

The best boths are the those next the entrance and in the rear of the bar, where the tikis face into the booths.

The walls are covered in tapa barkcloth, which provide an overall South Pacific tiki feel.

The ceiling is lovely and dramatic palm thacthed ceiling, which reaches the apex in the middle. An abundance of nautical flotsom, including several straw canoes, is suspended from the ceiling.

The lounge is dimly lit and very elegant, with cozy leather booths and a beautiful polished wood bartop. The waitstaff, comprised primarily of older Asian men, are all clad in Hawaiian shirts and are very gracious. Mixed nuts and votive candles align the bar (although the tiki candles in the SF Trader Vic's are noticeable absent).

The trademark $11 Kamaania, served in a souvenir ceramic cocunut with the Trader Vic's logo is available and is a necessity for any respectable tiki mug collection.

My favorite libation is the $11 Samoan Fogcutter, served in a large tiki mug (available for purchase at the Emmeryville location, but sadly not here).

For the wahinee, I recommend the $ 17 Tiki Bowl (for 2), which is served with a fragrant Gardenia blossom, to be worn over the ear.

Pupus are available - there is a very large selection, which average approximately $13 and are very tasty.

Dinner is served in the lounge for an elegant tiki dinning experience, as the decor in the main restaurant features integrates more of a nautical theme. Although there is a lush patio, it is only for viewinng, there is no outside dining.

The menu is also extensive and includes $18 for Sweet & Sour chicken, $23 for BBQ pizza or $25 for Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi-Mahi.

The crowd is varied and all ages, including men in suits, couples on dates and women stopping in after shopping. It also tends to attract parties of the 90210 crowd. It can get hopping on the weekend.

The Tiki Gods have kind for keeping Trader Vics and his polynesian palace (atleast in the lounge) living amongst us.

The bar lounge of the Beverly Hills location has been lovingly maintained and does not disappoint.

[ Edited by: Bora Boris - Corrected city, type and status. - 2010-06-13 17:14 ]

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy - added the old designation; "Traders" to the subject - 2011-09-21 12:05 ]

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-21 07:37 am   Permalink

Here's a picture of the interior of the LA TV's during the Academy Awards party held there, image is from Style Magazine.

[ This Message was edited by: freddiefreelance on 2005-04-21 07:38 ]

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-26 9:54 pm   Permalink

I just blogged this place; here are some exterior shots from August of 2005:

interior wall:

current issue of swizzle and smaller stick (sandwich spear?):

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
eliaszuniga

Posted: 2006-04-07 11:47 am   Permalink

Not sure if anyone has had a chance yet to read today's L.A. Times: (from the April 7 06 edition):
http://www.calendarlive.com/nightlife/cl-et-vics7apr07,0,2536244.story?coll=cl-home-more-channels
Discusses efforts to save Trader Vic's Beverly Hills. Since the link does not appear to work, try copying the entire url into a new browser window. Otherwise, you can also go to calendarlive.com and search for trader vic.

View Profile of eliaszuniga Send a personal message to eliaszuniga  Email eliaszuniga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-14 10:24 pm   Permalink

Trader Vic's Beverly Hills August 11 2006 sundown. I'm wondering how much longer this will be here. I have asked permission to photograph the interior and the management was supportive of what i was doing. I'm really going to miss this place, sigh. I wanted to attend Bongo & Mrs Fury's party at the new Rincon but I was committed to a boat race in Long Beach. Instead, I decided to document the International Tiki Day eve at Trader Vic's, Tiki Ti's & Purple Orchid on the LA Tiki trail. I meant to make it to the Tonga but couldn't this trip.

Then I was off to Tiki Ti in Hollywood.

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-08-14 22:54 ]

[ This Message was edited by: ojaitimo 2006-08-19 17:49 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-15 08:01 am   Permalink

Beautiful pictures. I'm so sad it's soon to be no more.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=18213&forum=1&start=60&hilite=trader%20vics%20beverly%20hills

View Profile of Coco Loco Send a personal message to Coco Loco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-19 6:03 pm   Permalink

Thanks, we should plan a Tiki Central party there one evening before it is gone. Anyone interested?

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-08-19 18:06 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-19 10:41 pm   Permalink

Great idea,I am interested!!!

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-28 10:21 pm   Permalink

Just got back from T.V. It's still going strong. Alfie, the bartender in the blue shirt above, thinks it's another 2 to 3 years before they close. He gave me one of those mai tai glasses and a shot glass with T.V. logo on it..yeah...

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
reedalong
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-08-29 12:03 pm   Permalink

Went there on Saturday night and the Mai Tais were as tasty as ever. We sat in the bar and had a lovely and hilarious waitress who, when my friend ordered a suffering bastard, said "served by a suffering bitch" and curtseyed. It's a classic joke and I always laugh at it.

- strictly on the kini popo -

View Profile of reedalong Send a personal message to reedalong      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-20 09:56 am   Permalink

Please read the thread in general from yesterday and give your input. Thanks

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-20 11:35 am   Permalink

The thread discusses the planned development/destruction of Trader Vic's and ways to attempt to prevent such from happening:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=22554&forum=1&13

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big kahuna59

Posted: 2007-01-21 8:05 pm   Permalink

I live in So Cal, and the local paper had an article last week saying some company was buying the Trader Vic's property and it's days were definately numbered. Better go there before it's too late! Sorry!!

View Profile of big kahuna59 Send a personal message to big kahuna59      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-30 8:56 pm   Permalink

They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique
And a swinging hot spot
Dont it always seem to go
That you dont know what youve got
Till its gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

They took all the trees
Put em in a tree museum
And they charged the people
A dollar and a half just to see em
Till its gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

Hey farmer farmer
Put away that d.d.t. now
Give me spots on my apples
But leave me the birds and the bees
Please!
Till its gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

Late last night
I heard the screen door slam
And a big yellow taxi
Took away my old man
Till its gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Son-of-Kelbo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 3:12 pm   Permalink

"Zantz can't dance but he'll steal your party.
Watch him, or he'll rob you blind..."

and Tiki-times were hot..."
SOK

View Profile of Son-of-Kelbo Send a personal message to Son-of-Kelbo  Goto the website of Son-of-Kelbo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation