FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Traders / Trader Vic's - Beverly Hills, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Traders / Trader Vic's - Beverly Hills, CA (restaurant)
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-07 7:22 pm   Permalink

Beverly Hills Trader Vic's Sunday 5/4/2008

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-09 12:35 am   Permalink

Is the Ball Busting tomorrow?

It's been in the news.........

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-07 8:36 pm   Permalink

"President elect Ronald Reagan and wife Nancy leave Trader Vic's, a Polynesian restaurant in Beverly Hills, Calif., on Dec. 29, 1980."

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-07 9:27 pm   Permalink

Nixon, Reagan...which Trader Vic's did Bush frequent?

By the way, what is the status of the building? Has it been razed yet?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-07 9:34 pm   Permalink

I drove by a week ago and it's still there, The last I heard there's another restaurant in there for now.

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-07 9:38 pm   Permalink

The last time I was at Trader Vics B.H. was 1986, I took a date there
it was not the best time for the place, lots of actors still ate there, food was not very good at that time.

And I have burned into my brain the image of the largest rats I have ever seen walking along the fence
just outside the window from our table.

from then on,I only went to the Tiki-Ti.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-07 9:43 pm   Permalink

Those were rich Beverly Hills rats, going there for the coke left-overs in the bathrooms.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-21 1:40 pm   Permalink

I don't think these have been posted yet. If they have, forgive me: Eight photographs taken by Maynard Parker in 1955 when Trader Vic's Beverly Hills was still known as The Traders. These photos are part of the Huntington Library collection and copies can be ordered online, (I may do that, to get some frameable copies).

http://www.huntington.org/huntingtonlibrary.aspx?id=3970

These photos show the restaurant and bar prior to the first renovation - before I started going there. I thought Trader Vic's was fantastic as it was, not knowing that it was even better back in the old days.

I've created a gallery of high-resolution copies of each of the photos here: http://imgur.com/a/UJX5s. If you click on an individual photo, a nice, larger-format image will appear. I think the architectural details alone would be invaluable to someone building a home tiki bar.

I've cropped and played with the brightness/contrast of the photos to produce the highlights below:

The Entrance

The Hall to the Dining Room/Bar

A view of the Dining Room

Remember this tiki:

Now the Dining Room from the other end, looking from behind that large tiki

The Bar

Another Dining Area with a Courtyard View

The Chinese Ovens with stacks of firewood

The Gift Shop

Nice fern-wood tiki:

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-21 1:58 pm   Permalink

WOW! I knew that over the years it had become less Tiki inside, Bigbro has pointed that out a few times but I had NO IDEA that it was that cool in the beginning. I was still happy with the Yacht Club look they had given it over the years not knowing exactly how it was before but had I seen these earlier I would've definitely been grumbly the times that I went.

Hiphipahula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-21 2:36 pm   Permalink

So beautiful, it will always be the dearest to my heart it was the first tiki rest./bar I was in. My Grandpa was a Seabee Officer in the So. Pacific WWll he built landing strips all over the islands. Yep, "Gus" loved Vic's, it was the quintessential family important celebration venue for our family before '71 I visited until the end of it's era as so many did. Thanks Sabu...
P.s. Boris, I love the yacht club look too.... Fantastic...

[ This Message was edited by: Hiphipahula 2011-09-21 14:39 ]

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-21 3:36 pm   Permalink

Those are great - thanks for taking the time to host those high-res shots!

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-21 4:01 pm   Permalink

Just a pic of me with some friends shortly before it closed.

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-21 7:45 pm   Permalink

I found some more photos in the Huntington Library archive. These were taken by Joseph Fadler of the Southern California Edison Company in November of 1961. The show the Wilshire side of The Traders at night:

These photos brought back a forgotten memory from childhood - A whole row of giant tikis flanking the restaurant on Wilshire. I remember driving by these many times with my family.

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2011-09-21 19:51 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-21 11:13 pm   Permalink

absolutely amazing,
thanks for posting Sabu.
I weep for the loss of the BH, Vics,
many good times there.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-22 11:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-09-21 19:45, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
I found some more photos in the Huntington Library archive. These were taken by Joseph Fadler of the Southern California Edison Company in November of 1961. The show the Wilshire side of The Traders at night:

Wow. I don't recall those Moai, which match the one in front.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation