FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Traders / Trader Vic's - Beverly Hills, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Traders / Trader Vic's - Beverly Hills, CA (restaurant)
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-27 11:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-09-22 23:39, christiki295 wrote:

Wow. I don't recall those Moai, which match the one in front.

They also appear to be by the same carver as the big tiki inside the restaurant. I saw a post on Facebook by a Mid-Century Beverly Hills group that said the tiki at the front entrance, (and I assume these others as well) were carved in, and shipped from Hawaii for the opening of the restaurant. Not sure if this is a true fact or not, but it deserves more research.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIBOSKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-28 11:40 am   Permalink

Beautiful photos, amazing job as usual Sabu,

View Profile of TIKIBOSKO Send a personal message to TIKIBOSKO  Goto the website of TIKIBOSKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-28 12:23 pm   Permalink

Aaaaw, guys, this is killing me: I used to have a Welton Becket P.R. folder about the building of the Beverly Hilton, with a section on the Traders. I lent it to someone and never got it back! (I keep borrowed material for a while too, I know - but I do return it!)

But I remember some hazy facts: the carver being American, and it mentioning five Tikis - which always made me wonder if that was a mistake!!! The first name Albert comes to mind -this might be a Leroy question...I also seem to recall that it said they were carved from telephone poles ..!!? Ah well... I have forgotten more than y'all ever.... (mumble mumble)

What really gets me is that this is the first photo that has surfaced of these four giants in the 20 years of my research! I mean this was the hang out of the rich and famous, in famous Beverly Hills! I think what we have here is a case of Tiki discrimination by the media, yes Sir!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-09-28 12:25 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-28 5:46 pm   Permalink

Bigbro,

It is pretty amazing that those 4 huge roadside Tikis have not been documented in photos or postcards before now. Did someone say postcards?

Here are a few from my collection.

One of the best renderings ever.

The inside bar

Back of the card.

And a matchbook from The Traders era.

Hope to hear some more on the carver.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-12 08:01 am   Permalink

I found this Trader Vics image in the LA Library archives.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-12 10:31 am   Permalink

From the UCLA archives.

My caption would be "A VW bus filled with filthy Hippies is about to be turned away from Trader Vic's."

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-05 6:17 pm   Permalink

Some amazing old photos in this thread.

Here is and old illustrated ad for the place.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martian-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-16 07:56 am   Permalink

La Societe de Bacchus et Epicurus reviews Trader Vic's at Beverly Hilton. (This society appears to consist of rich people as seen on the "Beverly Hillbillies")

Pictured are Vic's General Manager Oswaldo Lorenz and Chef Ping Lee

From
Millionaire Magazine
September 1965 V2 N1
http://www.martiantiki.com/millionaire-sept65vics

View Profile of martian-tiki Send a personal message to martian-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-17 2:10 pm   Permalink

This Vics closing still saddens me deeply.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martian-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-23 9:22 pm   Permalink

I'm interested in a 27 foot bronze fountain done for the Beverly Hilton circa the early 1950's. Does anyone know anything about it or could help point me in the right direction.

This may have been 1950's style wire rod art. An artist I'm doing a project on mentioned he did this in an interview - so I assume it did exist - though to be literal he said "for the Beverly Hilton" not "is at the Beverly Hilton"

Thanks.

View Profile of martian-tiki Send a personal message to martian-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-23 11:26 pm   Permalink

I am not aware of that fountain, but it sounds intriguing. The way to find out about that is to contact architect Welton Becket's office
http://www.ellerbebecket.com/100/founders.html
(it's current incarnation) who built it.

In fact, I know of the existence of a booklet that describes all the design features and artists involved with the project. I once had a xeroxed version of it, but lent it to someone, who never returned it - and now I can't remember who it was. I still have one page from it...

....I remember it also talked about the carver of the giant pole Tikis outside, of which only the one by the entrance survived:

I have yet to find a good image of these 4 watchers of Wilshire Blvd, if you do, let me know.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martian-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-25 9:30 pm   Permalink

http://www.williamrotsler.com/art/hilton/index.php

Regarding that sculpture I was asking about a friend of mine tracked this down and uploaded it to the site I'm helping with.
I hope anyone reading it finds it interesting on its own merits...

Additional information or leads or photos would be very appreciated. (And I apologize for being slightly off topic being about the hotel and not the restaurant but I believed this thread would be most helpful for Beverly Hilton info.)

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-11 3:13 pm   Permalink

An ad from the Lounge in 2008.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-15 5:01 pm   Permalink

Found a few photos of the interior from 1955.

From an upcoming fashion show.

DC

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-15 6:01 pm   Permalink

I have this distinct memory of taking a date here around 1985
and upon visiting the little boys room, finding a couple of TV actors
doing coke on the sink, Later during dinner, we were seated in front of those big windows
off the main dinning room, sharing a Scorpion Bowl & watching the largest Rats I have ever seen
scuttle along the fence outside, Oh yes, Hollywood in the 80s.....

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-07-15 18:03 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation