FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Has Anybody Heard of a Backscratcher?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Has Anybody Heard of a Backscratcher?
tikisobayli
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-06 7:21 pm   Permalink

It has been a while since my last post...sorry..However, I have been looking for a drink recipe for a Backscratcher. Has anyone heard of the drink? I remember being young on a trip to Hawaii with my parents and begging my mom to order this drink because 1)it came in a very large tiki mug and 2) it had a long wooden backscratcher in it used i guess as both decoration and a stirrer. Anyway, please pass along any info you folks might have!

[ This Message was edited by: tikisobayli on 2004-01-06 19:28 ]

View Profile of tikisobayli Send a personal message to tikisobayli  Email tikisobayli Goto the website of tikisobayli     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-06 7:29 pm   Permalink

I seem to remember a drink like that known as a 'Tropical Itch'.....

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-06 7:34 pm   Permalink

There's a drink in Intoxica! called the "Tropical Itch" that was served at the Hawaiian Village Hotel in Waikiki that came with a wooden back-scratcher. Could this be it?

8 oz. passion fruit juice or nectar (not syrup)
1 1/2 oz. Bacardi 151
1/2 oz. orange curacao
2 dashes Angostura bitters
1 oz. dark Jamaican rum
1 oz. bourbon

Fill a large hurricane glass with crushed ice, add all ingredients, and stir well. Garnish with pineapple, mint leaves, orchid and a wooden back-scratcher.

[ This Message was edited by: Doctor Z on 2004-01-06 19:35 ]

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-06 9:13 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-10 13:39 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-07 03:53 am   Permalink

They still serve it at the Hilton Hawaiian Village also. Ya get to keep the backscratcher but not the mug (I don't remember it as being anything special, the mug that is).

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-01-07 11:12 am   Permalink

They serve a Backscratcher at Trader Dick's in Sparks, and you keep the wooden scratcher. It's not very tiki looking and the drink isn't very good at Dick's either. Always stick with the Navy Grog at Dick's - it's a sure bet!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-07 5:29 pm   Permalink

Backcover of the BOT, that Tropical Itch had a plastic back scratcher in it. Wonder if it was customized (with the Crane Kon Tiki logo on it), never seen one.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisobayli
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-07 6:39 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone for the info. Dr. Z's reference to Intoxica reminds me that one can never have to many books (as I only own Grog Log). It is interesting that the drink has bourbon in it, not an ingrediant you see often. Again, thanks!

View Profile of tikisobayli Send a personal message to tikisobayli  Email tikisobayli Goto the website of tikisobayli     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-08 8:22 pm   Permalink

Famous Honolulu bartender Harry K. Yee first served the Tropical Itch with a back-scratcher as a stirrer in 1957.

I can't find his recipie anywhere, but I bet Beachbum's is pretty close.

Here is one from the Great Tiki Drink Book if you only want a small drink.

1.5 oz Pineapple Juice
0.5 oz Passion fruit syrup
2.0 oz Dark Rum
Juice of 1/2 lemon

Fill a highball glass with ice, pour everthing into the glass, stir and serve.

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-08 9:01 pm   Permalink

Caliente Tropics has Tiki Back-scratchers now (without the drink) . I can only imagine what those will be used for at Oasis-4. (last years Bax Balls aka TC Beach Balls almost started a riot!)

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-01-09 6:41 pm   Permalink

One of my fondest Kahiki memories is about the backscratcher, and resultant backscratchers-

My dad would order a backscratcher when we would go- and for YEARS afterwards, the silly bamboo scratchers would accumlate in the downstairs 'boys' bathroom at our house. Similar to the souvenir mugs and swizzles, the cheap backscratchers were 'take home goodies!'

It was a very DAD thing.

Anyhow, sometimes when we hadn't been to Kahiki in a while my Dad would make bad jokes about getting 'the itch' to go back to Kahiki. Particularly in winter when it snowed- clearly a 'tropical' itch.

In tribute, my home bar always keeps a supply of cheap bamboo backscratchers on hand for backscratcher cocktails so my friends can 'get the itch' to return. Now if only I could find a place that would custom imprint them for me... (for now, I just paint them myself.)

View Profile of Sabina Send a personal message to Sabina  Goto the website of Sabina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisobayli
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-09 8:41 pm   Permalink

Very funny memory Sabina....Dads always seem to be full of the "bad jokes"!

thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-01-12 11:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-01-07 11:12, martiki wrote:
They serve a Backscratcher at Trader Dick's in Sparks, and you keep the wooden scratcher. It's not very tiki looking and the drink isn't very good at Dick's either. Always stick with the Navy Grog at Dick's - it's a sure bet!

I tried Trader Dick's version on Saturday. According to the menu, It's made with Bourbon, Curacao, and passion fruit. It wasn't bad but they were out of back scratchers and it was more expensive than most drinks there (I assume to pay for the back scratcher). In adition to the Navy Grog, the Shark's Tooth is good (and very strong) at Trader Dick's.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-12 11:11 am   Permalink

Get your very own set of Tribal Tiki backscratchers! 2 dozen on e-bay. No bids yet, just over an hour left to go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2979217839&category=1467

Not my auction, but now that I think about featuring a "backscratcher" on my list of drinks served in my home bar, this seems kind of cool!

Just thought I'd give a heads up

-Tikiwahine

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-12 11:18 am   Permalink

Did I say backscratcher? I meant Tropical Itch. Unless I change the name to something like..."Now featured at the Vancouver Islander...the Backyard Backscratcher!"

I wonder if I could use little plastic flyswatters...naw...that sounds kinda gross. I don't think it would go over too well.

-Tikiwhahine

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation