FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Has Anybody Heard of a Backscratcher?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Has Anybody Heard of a Backscratcher?
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-12 5:20 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2004-01-12 11:11, thejab wrote:
Quote:

In adition to the Navy Grog, the Shark's Tooth is good (and very strong) at Trader Dick's.

We were at TD's just after Christmas. Had a Scorpion, and for an extra 4.50 you get to keep the bowl. Nice bowl, too, especially for 4.50! Next time we go we'll have dinner there. I've heard legends of the Awful Awful burger, but the menu we saw was pretty much all polynesian/asian cuisine. Is the AA burger on their lunch menu?

View Profile of TikiMaxton Send a personal message to TikiMaxton  Email TikiMaxton Goto the website of TikiMaxton ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-01-12 6:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-01-12 17:20, TikiMaxton wrote: Is the AA burger on their lunch menu?

No, but it's on the menu in both coffee shops at the Sparks Nugget, and at the classic lunch counter at the downtown Reno Nugget. The Sparks Nugget also has the old-style nautical John's Oyster House. They have incredibly good New York pan roasts, stews, chowders, crab and shrimp Louis, and Cioppino. The fish is very fresh (it's flown in) and inexpensive. The steak house at the Nugget is also very good. The food at Trader Dick's is pretty good but I usually eat at the Oyster House and drink at Trader Dick's.

My only complaint about Trader Dick's is the awful live entertainment that starts pretty early (5 or 6). They play good Hawaiian music in the background but you can't hear it most of the time because of the live act.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-18 8:59 pm   Permalink

I just found a great old drink guide at a flea market for 50, and it's full of great classic tiki drinks. Each of the 111 drink recipes feature a full colour photograph. (Tropical Cocktails by Tommy Murphy)

Here's their recipe for the Tropical Itch:

Tropical Itch

Chimney Glass 13 1/2oz
1oz 151 Rum
1/2ox Bourbon
1oz Pineapple Juice
1oz Orange Juice
1oz Sweet and Sour
1/2oz Cherry Brandy
Mix all ingredients except cherry brandy over crushed ice. Float cherry brandy on top. Garnish with pineapple wedge, cherry, bamboo back scratcher and vanda orchid.
NOTE: Orange juice and bourbon won't marry normally but orange Curacao helps make a perfect marriage.

I find this note strange, since the recipe doesn't even call for Curacao. Also, it's interesting how they float the cherry brandy, not the 151.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-18 11:22 pm   Permalink

Here is my recipe for the Tropical Itch from an old drink recipe book called The Official Handbook Drinks of Hawaii by Paul B Dick 1971. I found this book in Hawaii several years ago in a flee market.
The recipe says a more appropriate title would have been "Tropical Stroke"

Tropical Itch

1/2 oz Bourbon
1 oz 151 Rum
1 oz Okolehao
1/2 oz Grand Marnier
Dash Angostura Bitters
Passion Fruit Juice

Use a 15 oz tall glass with crushed ice. Put in order filling the remainder of the glass with the passion fruit juice.Mix well. Now stand back!
Enjoy!

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hot Lava
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-28 05:50 am   Permalink

They still server a Backscratcher at Disney's Polynesian Resort and it comes with a bamboo backscratcher as a souvenir. I don't have their recipe, but the drink description has a bit of the backstory and lists the main ingredients:

Back Scratcher - From the Coconut Palms Resort in Hawaii where Elvis filmed the movie "Blue Hawaii." Made with light and dark rum, Passion Fruit juice, topped with a secret ingredient, this drink will help you get that itch inside and out.

The ingredient list matches up pretty well with the Intoxica Tropical Itch recipe.

[ This Message was edited by: Hot Lava 2008-09-28 05:53 ]

View Profile of Hot Lava Send a personal message to Hot Lava  Email Hot Lava     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-05-27 02:49 am   Permalink

The "secret ingredient" is Jack Daniels believe it or not. Somehow it creates a taste not unlike Demerara rum. Possibly the best drink on the menu at the Tambu Lounge at Disney World's Polynesian Resort (along with the Lapu Lapu). Both are pictured below from my visit in February:

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-27 09:10 am   Permalink

Well, both Jack Daniels and Elvis are from Tennessee so sure why not.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-03 8:52 pm   Permalink

I finally nailed down the Backscratcher recipe from the Polynesian Resort. The secret is actually the POG (passion fruit/orange/guava) juice...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2013/07/31/trader-sams-enchanted-tiki-bar-one-of-many-changes-likely-coming-to-disneys-polynesian-resort/#backscratcher

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-04 07:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-03 20:52, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
I finally nailed down the Backscratcher recipe from the Polynesian Resort. The secret is actually the POG (passion fruit/orange/guava) juice...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2013/07/31/trader-sams-enchanted-tiki-bar-one-of-many-changes-likely-coming-to-disneys-polynesian-resort/#backscratcher

I mixed up a bottle of POG and made a couple of these the other day after I read the recipe you posted. Thanks Hurricane! We had just been to Tambu the prior weekend (made the tallest and most gravity-defying Dole Whip Captain Cook's had ever seen!) and we had a Backscratcher and Lapu Lapu (any chance you have that recipe too?) so the flavors were still fresh in my mind when I made the ones at home and other than the difference of a bourbon substitution they tasted pretty much like the Tambu ones.

I used the rest of the bottle of POG up making J Wray Overproof rum punches, and if you like J Wray you would almost certainly like those.

I hope your new insider info on the if/when/where of a WDW Trader Sam's is in error. I'd rather see it as part of the Pleasure Island redevelopment that at Polynesian. Either way, I'm really looking forward to a WDW Sam's.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-04 08:09 am   Permalink

A bit off subject but I didn't realize the connection between the POG juice and the Pogs game with the cardboard discs my kids played in the early 90s. The cardboard pog discs were originally created as a marketing ploy for the POG drink.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-04 08:19 am   Permalink

Yeah, what a random and cool connection. The whole early 90s POG game craze was supposedly spawned when one school teacher in Hawaii reintroduced an almost forgotten game she played as a kid to her students and it spread like wildfire.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-04 6:00 pm   Permalink

Followed the instructions for making the POG EXACTLY as given. Even went out and bought a bottle of Jack Daniels Old No.7. The drink however, when completed was waaaaay to sweet and fruity for my taste. Cut back the POG ingredient from 5 oz. to 3 oz. and added 1/2 oz. of fresh lime. Didn't help. This one won't make it to my recipe book. However,take away the booze . . . pink it up with some grenadine and call it a "Fruity Temple" and serve it to the kids!

GENT

[ This Message was edited by: GentleHangman 2013-08-04 18:02 ]

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-04 8:12 pm   Permalink

never heard of POG, but pineapple-OJ-guava coincidentally happens to be, after scores of experiments, the preferred juice combo I arrived at for my Planters Punch...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-07 01:08 am   Permalink

Sunny&Rummy: Yes, I may have a Lapu Lapu recipe up my sleeve for future consumption. The problem with both of these drinks (the only two Polynesian originals left on the menu) is that they can be very inconsistent, depending on how busy the bar is and which bartenders are working. I've seen one of them put pineapple juice in the Backscratcher. The Lapu Lapu is particularly schizophrenic. I'm told they once stocked Trader Vic's orgeat, but now most of the bartenders use amaretto (ugh). But I've also seen a non-amaretto version.

Regarding the POG juice, it's definitely something I'll be messing around with. And the pineapple-OJ-guava combo suggested by thePorpoise sounds great as well.

The bigger issue, as GentleHangman points out, is the Backscratcher is just too juice-forward. Welcome to Disney World. I'm afraid that the resort's bar program has yet to bring its rum drinks up to the same level of quality as some of its newer tequila and whiskey cocktails. You'll find lots of pseudo Mai Tais, Pina Coladas and the like across property, but they tend to be aimed at your typical middle American tourist.

The Tambu Lounge's Backscratcher is aimed at these same tourists, obviously, but it's also a tried-and-true Tiki classic, so I sought to replicate it as authentically as possible rather than try to reinvent it. (Perhaps I'll tackle that in a future endeavor. I've always thought Lemon Hart 151 would make a much better floater.) I believe that both the Backscratcher and Lapu Lapu date back to the '70s, surviving many menu purges that saw the removal of all the other drinks unique to the Polynesian (Zombie, Scorpion, Tradewinds, etc.) It's not a great drink by any means, but fits that early Disney Resort profile (see Lei Lani Volcano, Intoxica, page 47).

Of course, we can only hope that Trader Sam's will arrive in time to solve these problems for us.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-07 06:11 am   Permalink

All I was able to find was Welch's Passionfruit Cocktail and it was pretty weak, not a very strong passionfruit taste. It's 25% juice; white grape, apple, & passionfruit ~ passionfruit is the 3rd listed juice. That means it is only 8% passionfruit at best (0.25 x 0.32)

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation