FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Has Anybody Heard of a Backscratcher?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Has Anybody Heard of a Backscratcher?
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-07 4:51 pm   Permalink

I would caution against using the Ceres 100% juice. For example, their Passion fruit juice. . . the first ingredient is PEAR JUICE! Same for their Mango and Papaya. It may be 100% juice, but it's not the name of the fruit juice on the outside of the carton.
Is it just me, or is that a bit deceptive?

[ This Message was edited by: GentleHangman 2013-08-07 16:52 ]

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-07 7:30 pm   Permalink

That is a VERY common practice and completely legal, but yes deceptive. At least it's all juice, the ones labeled "juice cocktail" are 70-75% sugar water.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-07 10:37 pm   Permalink

Using legit POG juice will really help make a difference in authenticity. I think Disney has Minute Maid make POG juice concentrate just for them, considering Minute Maid is a sponsor/partner. There are several brands available such as Hawaii's Own, Meadow Gold, Aloha Maid Natural etc. It might take some searching (California fortunately has them all) but it'll be the best. I use POG Juice in a lot of my own drinks. That Pineapple Orange Guava stuff might be nice but its not POG juice - Passion fruit, Orange, Guava. Good luck.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-08 12:20 am   Permalink

So we discover another reason to be jealous of California: Easy access to POG juice :>)

I was pretty happy with my POG mix using Goya Passion Fruit Cocktail (containing passion fruit concentrate) and Kern’s Guava Nectar (containing guava puree), both available at Publix in Florida. Unfortunately, both contain high fructose corn syrup. But combined with fresh OJ, you get a very rich and sweet juice that mimics what I remember from the Polynesian.

Of course, the purest products come from Hawaii. I'll keep looking in our gourmet and ethnic groceries, but I suspect you have to be on the West Coast to find easy access. However, you can find POG online if you want to pay the price. I haven't ordered any of these yet, but they look like the real deal brands (Hawaiian Sun, Aloha Maid):

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dgrocery&field-keywords=%22Passion%20Orange%20Guava%22

http://www.islandergifts.com/hawaiian-juice.html

And for pure passion fruit juice, I'll be trying this in the future:
http://www.auntylilikoi.com/syrups-and-juices/unsweetened-passion-fruit-juice.html
I'm a big fan of their syrups, so I'm confident the juice is the same quality.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-18 10:36 pm   Permalink

Haywood you were right, the Goya Passionfruit cocktail does have much more passionfruit taste

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-21 11:32 pm   Permalink

Yeah, it comes in handy sometimes when you don't need the richness of a syrup, but want something more intense than a straight passion fruit juice.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-22 9:00 pm   Permalink

Dollar store back scratchers. I shortened them a bit and drilled a hole for a garnish cross stick

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-22 9:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-22 21:00, MadDogMike wrote:
Dollar store back scratchers.

yum, chinese arsenic-treated lumber scraps!

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-23 12:15 am   Permalink

Nice job, MadDogMike. A little essence of wood scraps won't hurt you.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-23 06:17 am   Permalink

!

Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-23 07:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-22 21:00, MadDogMike wrote:
Dollar store back scratchers. I shortened them a bit and drilled a hole for a garnish cross stick

Mike, how is it that everything - even making a simple cocktail - turns into a woodworking or craft project, with you?!
No wonder you're not much of a drinker. I wouldn't be, either, if every time I went to make a cocktail, I got sidetracked sculpting a mug or blowing a glass for it!

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2013-08-23 07:44 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-23 09:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-23 07:40, Limbo Lizard wrote:
Mike, how is it that everything - even making a simple cocktail - turns into a woodworking or craft project, with you?!
No wonder you're not much of a drinker. I wouldn't be, either, if every time I went to make a cocktail, I got sidetracked sculpting a mug or blowing a glass for it!

I'm afraid that's true LL
What's more, there isn't any alcohol in that glass ~ it's just POG

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-23 10:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-08-23 09:31, MadDogMike wrote:

I'm afraid that's true LL
What's more, there isn't any alcohol in that glass ~ it's just POG

no alcohol?! well in that case you need a little arsenic in there or it's not even a real cocktail..!

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation