[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Making a puffer fish lamp
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Making a puffer fish lamp
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-07 6:50 pm   Permalink

Here is the hardware you are looking for. You should find this at Lowes or Home Depot, but you'll have to search. It'll be in the lamp parts area with harps and other things.

It has this notch near the edge. What you are doing is making a hole about 1 inch in diameter, and squeeze these prongs and stick the sucker in the fish and set it so the cut out in the prong gets fish in it to hang onto. Below I have used a piece of cardboard to demonstrate.

A puffer fish is VERY tough. I started by drilling a set of holes in the fish to act as a guide. I drilled more and more holes until I was close to making a full circle cutout. I then used some heavy snips to cut around. I found I needed the hole to be bigger and it was tough going. These guys stink too. You have to be careful not to damage the quills as you do this, so try to be gentle.

Use a lot wattage bulb.

That's all there is to it. The tough part is cutting the hole without damaging the fish. A jig saw would work if you had one.

Here is mine from the top. He's a big mutha, which made it a bit easier, but, maybe he's a bit thicker.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-07 7:07 pm   Permalink

Is that George Cates' "Polynesian Percussion"?

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-07 7:23 pm   Permalink

I believe it is! And he's using it as a work bench....!

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-07 8:26 pm   Permalink

Yeah the freakin' records are everywhere! You can't saw a fish without laying it on one...

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-08 7:38 pm   Permalink

Another (easier) way to cut the hole is a Dremel with a rotosaw bit. Takes about 5 seconds, but wear a dustmask, or you'll taste dried fish funk for a week.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-08 11:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-01-08 19:38, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Another (easier) way to cut the hole is a Dremel with a rotosaw bit. Takes about 5 seconds, but wear a dustmask, or you'll taste dried fish funk for a week.

Voice of experience?

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-09 11:09 am   Permalink

Yup.

FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-10 1:32 pm   Permalink

I found a lady who sales blowfish. She didn't have any of the large ones in but is getting more, she sales them for $29. Seems like a fare price to me. I did buy a medium one for $7.50.

www.flounderart.com

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-10 2:09 pm   Permalink

When we were coming back from Hukilau we stopped at gas staion souvenir shop that had lots of dead critters, including small puffers. I plan to pick up about a dozen next time for a new project I have in mind. Gotta get them cheap as possible.

tiki-riviera
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-12 2:26 pm   Permalink

Where would you find small colored lightbulbs
to fit the fixture?

Thanks!

View Profile of tiki-riviera Send a personal message to tiki-riviera  Email tiki-riviera     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-12 2:29 pm   Permalink

tiki-riviera -- check out Display & Costume Supply, they're on Roosevelt near Northgate Mall. They have a large year-round Christmas display section, including a large area dedicated just to single colored bulbs in an array of different sizes. While you're there, check out their tropical display section -- they're the area's source for thatch & such.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-12 3:49 pm   Permalink

Yeah, the fixture takes regular Christmas bulbs, and when you are a lamp freak like me, you have a box full of all size and shape bulbs around at all times...

FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-12 4:06 pm   Permalink

Swanky, I'm a fellow lamp freak as well. I have been trying to get rid of them lately but it's hard to give em up.
Can't wait to make my tiki room and add these.

www.flounderart.com

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tacky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-13 1:46 pm   Permalink

Aloha!

This weekend I made my lamp. I cut the hole for the fixture with a miniature jigsaw after drilling a pilot hole first. The jigsaw made it really easy.

We had a fixture lying around from an old nightlight or some ceramic thingy, and a whole assortment of Christmas bulbs. The hardest part was deciding what color bulb to use!

So far I have only spent 69 cents plus tax on the whole project. That was for the eyes, which I will install on Saturday. Everything else was either given to me or found.

When I cut the hole in the fish it didn't have a smell-I think it's been dead longer than I've been alive. I think Puffy has been preserved since the 50's! He came from an estate sale.

Good luck everyone with your lamps!

Tacky

View Profile of Tacky Tiki Send a personal message to Tacky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-13 5:12 pm   Permalink

Swanky,
Your post inspired me to complete my own puffer-fish lamp. (It had been hanging, unilluminated, for a couple years.) I cracked the guy a little bit drilling the hole but a touch of gorilla glue fixed that.
Now it's just a matter of choosing a color for the bulb.

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation