FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Making a puffer fish lamp
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Making a puffer fish lamp
Jawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-01 05:33 am   Permalink

Bumping this thread so I can find it again...

View Profile of Jawa Send a personal message to Jawa  Email Jawa Goto the website of Jawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiwinebear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-01 09:30 am   Permalink

I have always been wanting a pufferfish lamp for my outdoor tikibar, and recently found this web site. The prices seem reasonable for the pufferfish... whether you are looking for a basketball sized fish to make a lamp, or just hang a school of pufferfish (small and medium sizes) around the tiki bar area. I will be ordering from them soon.

http://www.shellhorizons.com/details.asp?ProductID=B1-20&Page=2

If you have ordered from this site before and have any feedback, love to hear about it!

View Profile of tikiwinebear Send a personal message to tikiwinebear  Email tikiwinebear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-01 09:48 am   Permalink

Shipping the large size fish from FL to TN would have been $20 or so. That's pretty steep. Especially for what likely weighs 2 pounds!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-01 5:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-01 09:30, tikiwinebear wrote:
I have always been wanting a pufferfish lamp for my outdoor tikibar, and recently found this web site. The prices seem reasonable for the pufferfish... whether you are looking for a basketball sized fish to make a lamp, or just hang a school of pufferfish (small and medium sizes) around the tiki bar area. I will be ordering from them soon.

http://www.shellhorizons.com/details.asp?ProductID=B1-20&Page=2

If you have ordered from this site before and have any feedback, love to hear about it!

Looks like they're geared for selling to retail stores and don't much care to sell to "individuals for personal use." They have a special fax form for individuals and I'd make sure of the prices before giving credit card info. They also require all Florida residents to send a copy of FL business license.

http://www.shellhorizons.com/order_info.asp

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiwinebear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-29 08:44 am   Permalink

Howdy all. Wanted to bump this topic up again.

I am finishing up my Tiki Guest Room, complete with some Bosko tiki's, gravel art, and puffer fish hanging light. The puffer didn't give much of a struggle, after taking precautions with its spikes. I had a box full of shredded newspaper (leftover packaging materials from a recent delivery), and submerged the puffer in the paper to hold it in place. Using my Dremmel, a perfect hole was cut thru its top, to hold the fixture... really easy but wear a mask. I really couldn't believe the amount of cotton batting was stuffed inside it!!! After using an assorted array of tools found in the garage, I took the advise on another TC posting, and used a bamboo rod, cutting notches into it, and twirled it inside the puffer, just like making cotton candy! Took several attempts to remove all traces of the batting, but finally cleaned it out.

With a little work, it turned out exactly like I wanted. Thanks for all the pictures and hints on this posting!

View Profile of tikiwinebear Send a personal message to tikiwinebear  Email tikiwinebear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTikiBoom
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-29 1:36 pm   Permalink

Ooooh I have a whole bunch of those lil light fixtures from Michael's. Used them to create electric tiki torches.

I'm thinking I just found a new use for them. Now if I can just find some more puffer fish.... hmmmm

Tonight, we will have a big feast. And then, at the end of the feast, we will climb to the top of the Big Woo, and you will jump in. Okay?

View Profile of TikiTikiBoom Send a personal message to TikiTikiBoom  Email TikiTikiBoom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-29 11:47 pm   Permalink

I love these lamps.

But it got me thinking about whats happening. Sticking a light globe into a dead animal carcass! (But they look so pretty!)

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-25 3:29 pm   Permalink

I've been reading this post to build my own light and I just found a sight that sells Puffers up top 21 inches - that is a grand soon to be puffer light. It's a little more expensive than the one listed earlier but shipping and handling is not terrible for cross-country. If anybody needs a big fish (also some nice shark jaws), check this site out:

http://www.deltonagifts.com/page31.html

View Profile of kingtiki Send a personal message to kingtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HelloTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-25 3:54 pm   Permalink

I've seen plastic puffefish lights (for those opposed to sticking a light inside a real one)..
They should be online somewhere.

View Profile of HelloTiki Send a personal message to HelloTiki  Email HelloTiki Goto the website of HelloTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rotterdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-25 4:43 pm   Permalink

Wouldn't it be better to use a modern LED?
They generate no heat at all, just as much light as a low voltage bulb , are much lighter & you can make a much smaller hole?

View Profile of Tiki Rotterdam Send a personal message to Tiki Rotterdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-13 08:35 am   Permalink

LED is a good option, but, A) using the old style fixture you have the hanging method built in. The fish hangs from the light cord. B) It's hard to find LED lights already set up to use like this. I spent a lot of time trying to make a tiny LED setup to light a small puffer to use as a rear view mirror hanger and it was tough. I just don't know enough about electricity to do it. Would love to figure it out though. You could run them all off small batteries and never worry about fires.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rotterdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-13 2:17 pm   Permalink

I'm not sure how these lamps are called in English, but they use very little power & generate allmost no heat.
I just found out they also exist in very small sizes..

View Profile of Tiki Rotterdam Send a personal message to Tiki Rotterdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-13 3:20 pm   Permalink

An excellent suggestion. The low wattage flourescent-type bulbs are pretty common; I've seen them at Ikea for pretty cheap.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-13 3:41 pm   Permalink

I use these at home for everything, and they're great for poly pop lamps, seeing as many of them can't handle a lot of heat.
They also come in different colours!

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rotterdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-13 3:51 pm   Permalink

"An excellent suggestion. The low wattage flourescent-type bulbs are pretty common; I've seen them at Ikea for pretty cheap."

Funny, i bought them pretty cheap at Ikea too (In Holland that is)

I am really concerned about fire safety & i also think a normal (hot) bulb will dry out the pufferfish until (after a few years) it just falls apart & pulverizes.
At least that is what happened to my Spanish starfish lamp..

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Rotterdam 2006-02-13 16:11 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation