FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Making a puffer fish lamp
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Making a puffer fish lamp
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-18 3:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

By the way, I was at Home Depot today and noticed they have a candelabra base 4 watt LED light now. It's the same candle-shape as an incandescent, but inside instead of a filament it has 3 LEDs. That would be perfect for anyone concerned about heat build-up.

The LED lamps are indeed available, but I don't recommend them for this kind of project.

The light they emit is very blue and very directional. The belly of the fish lights up with this alien kind of glow while the top of the fish remains dark and lonely looking.

Your average nightlight bulb at 4 to 7 watts is cool enough to the touch that heat is of minor concern. Unless you are using a very small blow-fish.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-19 8:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

This is the perfect set up if your Lamp is going outside.

If your lamp is going inside, meaning it isn't going to get blown around and suffer the vagaries of weather, there is an easier way to attach the lamp....

Basically, string a wire across the opening for your lamp kit. Push the wire aside, insert the light, push the wire back and let the fish hang on the lamp kit.

Decorate the cording et Voila.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-24 5:22 pm   Permalink

Some great lights by every one. I just got mine done and hung. I won't share any of the step by step photos as they are sick. My fish had no cotton stuffing as mentioned in other posts. Short and sweet, it was blown up with some type of animal bladder inserted through an exit area and tied in a knot. BUYER BEWARE !! Also I got rid of the "google eyes" and got a pair of gold and black plastic animal eyes for kids stuffed animals at my local craft store. Kinda hard to see in the photo but looks great. Thanks

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-03-15 10:41 pm   Permalink

So I picked up this puffer the other day about 16" in length, found this thread and.... well.....

My kidz feel a little sorry for da bugga though...

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-06 09:03 am   Permalink

Has anyone ever made or seen this table top variety (This is the only picture I've seen I hope it exists outside the animation world.)? It would look nice on top of a bar with a duel switch for the main lamp and the pufferfish. Any pictures or was it available from OA?

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-14 4:35 pm   Permalink

Thank you to TikiTres for the step-by-step instructions on how to do this. I was able to take a parrot fish I had recently purchased and make him into a lamp. I did have slight modifications on the process, as there was a pre-cut hole in the top, so I had to use a larger rubber piece instead of the washer suggested.

Here are a couple of shots of the finished lamp:

Thanks again for the tips and help!

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN

Posted: 2011-01-14 8:39 pm   Permalink

Looking good you Ichthyologists!!!

I have an empty puffer PTD...he isn't very big but he would make a nice blue light special.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-17 06:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-01-14 20:39, VampiressRN wrote:
Looking good you Ichthyologists!!!

I have an empty puffer PTD...he isn't very big but he would make a nice blue light special.

I have extra parts for another lamp, the exception being the lamp cord and swag chain, so when I see you next time, bring you fish and I will make it into a lamp.

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-05 04:57 am   Permalink

Finally put in a squeeze prong light in my fish last night. Looks great, but there will always be a certain amount of blood sacrificed in it's creation.

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation