Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-08 06:35 am   Permalink

the architecture
the music
the mythic subtext
the film noir atmosphere
etc.

discuss...

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-08 06:42 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 08:58 ]

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-08 06:45 am   Permalink

i found for many years it was impossible to get the actual vangelis music to the movie. i finally found what i thought would be it but it was some cheezy orchestra. so i got the whole thing off nap$ter and listen to it at least once a week.

all you FCC TC'ers can track me down now ;P

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Geeky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-08 10:01 am   Permalink

Cool topic! One of the all time great flicks.

Many of the same arty folks and the art director's brother also worked on "The Hunger" and some scenes really share the feeling of Blade Runner.

I dig the gritty view of the future that recreated the noir zeitgeist, placing an old idiom in a setting that doesn't exist yet but we can grasp immediately. I also enjoyed both versions, narrated and non-narrated, but prefer the non in retrospect.

Rutger Howard's and Shawn Young's best performances, maybe old Harrison's best, too.

The contrasting spaces that characters inhabit is cool, too. It's neat how a character's space went so far in defining that character for the viewer - really well styled.

So, two snaps up!

View Profile of Geeky Tiki Send a personal message to Geeky Tiki  Email Geeky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-08 10:27 am   Permalink

I'll add more when I've had coffee and have really warmed to the subject, but here's some first thoughts:

- my favorite movie
- my desert island movie
- I have the VHS and the DVD, and the must-have book "Future Noir: the making of Blade Runner", as well as the Romanian bootleg complete soundtrack
- if I had more money, I'd be collecting BR memorabilia, but it ain't cheap
- I have done tribute art to BR (see my website for an example)

...in short, life without BR is unimaginable!

em.

View Profile of emspace Send a personal message to emspace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-08 10:36 am   Permalink

One more for laffs: I kicked myself off the premier BR forum (BladeZone) because I couldn't stand that there were some members (including the moderator) planning to create and publish a "Blade Runner Technical Manual" which would describe the workings of the Esper image-processing computer, Voight-Kampff emotional-response detecting device, and Spinner flying car.

It was bad enough that these Asperger's Syndrome sufferers were constantly writing in saying they had the perfect script for the sequel, but for a bunch of dorks to say they could write a "tech manual" for anything more complicated than a pencil sharpener, never mind something that has never existed except as a fiberglass movie prop, was just too much. Shades of Klingon Dictionaries! It bugs the piss out of me when people try to write themselves into a great work of art's history.

"Hi, I've got this great sequel painting for the Mona Lisa!"

That's how much I love Blade Runner - enough to want it protected from the depradations of hypernerds.

em

View Profile of emspace Send a personal message to emspace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-08 1:52 pm   Permalink

There was a lot of talk of a special edition DVD to replace the crummy one that is out now.

It turns out that some private individual (not a film studio) owns the rights to the film now, and he hates it (why he owns it if he hates it is beyond me) and won't allow the DVD to be released. Apparently it would contain both versions of the film, restoried, further cut scenes, and all the other geek jazz we've come to expect from SpEd DVDs... but this jag won't let it see the light of day.

Drag.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-08 2:10 pm   Permalink

we should send leon after him.

atomictonytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-08 3:16 pm   Permalink

Has anybody played the Blade Runner computer game that came out in 1997? The games not of the movie but a storyline that pararell to the action in the film.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-08 6:00 pm   Permalink

When I saw the movie upon its release (I was in college in Austin), I turned to my roommate, and said, "I KNOW this girl," refering to the aMAZingly beautiful Sean Young.
"What else do you think you saw her in?"
"I don't know; I can't think of any movies. I just feel like I KNOW her!"

Jump ahead a couple of years to a party in Houston, where I run into this darling boy on whom I'd had the biggest (unrequited)crush when I went to Interlochen Arts Academy for a month-long program during high school (GREAT arms!). I'd spent a heavenly, frozen month there (it was January in northern Michigan!) - pure delight for an artsy girl like me then. Randall was a sophomore dance major there; I hung out with him and his senior girlfriend most, despite my doing more the singing/acting/art thing (jack-of-all-trades 'cept ballet). At the party, he excitedly asks me, "Did you hear about Sean (the old girlfriend)?!"
"No, what?"
"She's this big movie star now; she was in Stripes and Bladerunner, and there's a big spread on her in Vogue this month!!"

It didn't even click about the Bladerunner deja vu thing 'til I told my no-longer roommate about the chance meeting, until she reminded me, "You TOLD me you felt like you knew that robot girl!"

She really was a ball to hang out with. My fondest memory was cracking her up with my satire of a modern ballet, danced in the basement of our dorm.

No, we didn't keep up...although I DID get to finally go out with Randall!!

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-08 6:20 pm   Permalink

Very sad story about the asshole who owns the film rights; very happy one about Sean Young. There is (or was?) definitely a special edition DVD, let's see if I can find something...yep, still available thru Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/6305842442/qid=1073610881/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/002-5638193-3200808?v=glance&s=dvd#product-details , but doesn't sound like the one spoken of by tikibars as I don't believe it has the narrated version - that is still unavailable for purchase as far as I know.

Sean Young, what can ya say? The skinny is Harrison didn't like her, and that his shall we say forcefulness in the "love scene" was him getting his anger out at her. Feh, who knows, I thought they had great chemistry. They needed "too beautiful to be human", they found her. And great '40s noir look about her.

I miss the narrated version myself and wish I had it too. I used to (taped off TV), but wore it out.

em.

pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-08 7:48 pm   Permalink

Here ya go.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.12/philip.html

Love the movie, BTW. Daryl Hannah was extremely weird.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-08 9:48 pm   Permalink

Nice story pablus, I do believe that's a keeper. And yeah, she was weird, wasn't she? I think Scott has a knack for getting actors to be things they've never been before - Harrison Ford dark, Russell Crowe dignified, John Hurt...um, with his chest blown open...

em.

martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-01-09 08:23 am   Permalink

There was an article in May in Entertainment Weekly about their top 50 cult films. For the big photo at the beginning of the article, they rounded up all these cult movie stars and had them sit in a theater together. There was Leatherface, sitting next to Stephen Root dressed as Milton from Office Space, and some others I don't remember. But they got Daryl Hannah and dressed her exactly as the replicant with the black paint across the eyes- she looked exactly the same more than 20 years on! it was spooky.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-09 08:37 am   Permalink

Good topic J.D.

I couldn't truly call myself 'Futura' girl without admitting this is one of my all time fav movies.

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation