FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Blade Runner
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Blade Runner
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-09 10:16 am   Permalink

On the subject of top movies, WIRED magazine listed it as THE best sci-fi movie of all time. I still have the article.

em

View Profile of emspace Send a personal message to emspace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-09 11:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-01-08 15:16, atomictonytiki wrote:
Has anybody played the Blade Runner computer game that came out in 1997? The games not of the movie but a storyline that pararell to the action in the film.

my lil brother gave me that game back in '98. i am not really a computer game player, but i messed around with it long enough to see how well they distilled the essence of the movie. the main downfall was that i suppose they had to pay royalties to actors to use their images and personas, so they replaced harrison ford's style with a laughably geeky character.

my joke to my brother was he was the guy who got beat up in "blade runner school."

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suicide_sam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-09 2:18 pm   Permalink

Great movie. I've been inside teh Bradbury building, the building that the robot maker named Bradbury lived in. That building actually is called teh Bradbury building in real life, it's here in downtown LA. It looks much smaller in real life.

Here's an interesting story about that building. the guy who payed to build it hired an architect and also hired a guy whose job would just be to make the decoraitve iron stuff for the railings. The rail maker started kissing allot of ass until the money man fired the architect and had the rail maker do the entire building. Because of this the place is like a big slab on the ouside, very plain, but incredibley ornate on the inside. Even the elevator is made of decorative railing. The rail maker used the money that he made to put himself through school to learn how to properly design a building. After he came out of school he did two more buildings that were very bland and no one ever remembered. Once he learned the rules of architecture, he was bound by them and his work became limited. Well that story wasn't so much interesting as it was long and pointless.

[ This Message was edited by: suicide_sam on 2004-01-09 14:19 ]

View Profile of suicide_sam Send a personal message to suicide_sam  Email suicide_sam Goto the website of suicide_sam ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-09 2:22 pm   Permalink

heart did a video in that building too.

not that any of us care about that either

too bad deckard didn't have heart to shoot at.

but hey s_s, thanks fer the story - i have been wanting to visit that building ever since i heard it was existing.

*atari was in blade runner too* _|||_

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-01-09 2:28 pm   Permalink

And I used to live down the street from Heart's drummer! See, it all comes full circle.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-09 4:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-01-09 14:22, Johnny Dollar wrote:
too bad deckard didn't have heart to shoot at.

That would be tres cool, if Ann and Nancy Wilson could replace Daryl Hannah and Joanna Cassidy. Maybe in the game? Like in Quake where you have "mods". Ker-blooey!

em

View Profile of emspace Send a personal message to emspace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-11 2:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-01-08 18:20, emspace wrote:
There is (or was?) definitely a special edition DVD, let's see if I can find something...yep, still available thru Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/6305842442/qid=1073610881/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/002-5638193-3200808?v=glance&s=dvd#product-details

This is a collector's set thingy with special packaging and some other extaneous junk to get you to buy it, but the actual movie, the actual DVD disc is identical to the crummy one you can buy in the normal package. No video restoration, no audio clean up, no multiple versions of the film, no additional special features.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-11 4:13 pm   Permalink

Glad I bought the regular edition - cost me $18. To get all the dope, interviews, etc. better stick with the book "Future Noir".

thanx,
em.

tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-11 6:57 pm   Permalink

I may have to close this thread down for excessive nerdiness, haha!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-11 8:47 pm   Permalink

It's true, I am a nerd! what are the most important things to me after my family? Computers, music, and Blade Runner.

Oh, and that Tiki thing too.

, em.

Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-02 10:52 am   Permalink

the future is NOW...

http://www.irobotnow.com/en_us/index.php

fear...

j$

emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-02 6:43 pm   Permalink

Now that IS damn intresting..."positronic brain" being a term borrowed from Star Trek: TNG. I am of the opinion this is bogus. There are no photos, only some truly swell-looking 3D renders. Can draw energy from the sun and water? A terabyte of memory? I like a good-looking website as much as the next guy, but time will tell if these guys are shitting us or not.

emski

Philot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-03 08:05 am   Permalink

erm, emspace, that's the teaser site for the "I, robot" movie. It's alledgedly based upon the book by Iassic Asimov. But then again, it has Will Smith in it. Buzz on the movie is that it's a ok action flick, as long as you aren't misled by the title and expect "I, robot".

Now get out of my comic book store!

View Profile of Philot Send a personal message to Philot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-03 12:55 pm   Permalink

Heh, thanx Philot, I knew it smelled funny. There isn't even room in the skinny frickin' thing for a terabyte of memory, never mind a "positronic brain", whatever-the-hell that might be...my gullible!

, em

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-05 8:55 pm   Permalink

Wellllll...I admire that flic tooo, (or why would I quote from it in the BOT) Here are some related trivia:

When I moved to Hollywood in 1982, I first moved in with Mark Mothersbaugh from Devo (I knew his German girlfriend) and through him I met Spazz Attack, who appeared in Devo's videos and was THE Punk extra at the time. He became my roomate, and that year appeared in a downtown street scene in Bladerunner, one can see his superspiked hairdo in that well published still of Harrison Ford jumping on a Taxi roof. I lost track of Spazz when he moved to Japan.

The following year I went to school at AFI and Jordan Cronenweth was our guest cinematography teacher, showing us how through miss-communication the interior lighting of the Nexus Corp. exec suite did not match Doug Trumbull's exterior mood...

From my Hollywood Hills room I had a great view over the Hollywood cityscape and at night I swear all you needed were the occasional gas flames shooting up, (because sometimes the blimp would be there), and you had BLADERUNNER...

And then I found the Bradbury building (what a namesake irony), yes, and right across from it the Million Dollar Building, where Trish emerged from the trash...

And much later, at Rocket Video on La Brea, I was brousing through the isles, wearing my long German raincoat, and found myself next to Ruttger Hauer. He looked me up and down, and remarked "Nice coat!", ...and left. Wow!

All those moments, frozen in time...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation