[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Frankoma Coconut Mug Question
Frankoma Coconut Mug Question
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-08 3:38 pm   Permalink

Hey everybody,
What's the deal with the Frankoma coconut mugs? Were they used by any "Tiki" establishments or was Frankoma just trying to cash in by making a Tropical feeling beverage container?
Reason I ask is I just picked one up at the thrift. It's light brown with white grooves and is marked Frankoma "R7" (I think).
Anyway, thanks for the inf if anyone has any...
Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-01-08 6:21 pm   Permalink

Hi Royale,

Check out this past thread for some answers:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=3110&forum=5

Evidently the coconut mugs, (along with the war god, widowmaker, tiki bowl, etc.) were originally made for the Club Trade Winds in Tulsa OK, and the Cultured Pearl as well. Due to their popularity, they were later added into Frankoma's standard line of pottery. If it's not actually marked "Club Trade Winds" or "Cultured Pearl" on the bottom, then it probably came from this later release.

BTW. Are you located in Belmont Shores, CA? If so, I spotted a Frankoma bamboo mug in the glass case of the Salvation Army on Tustin, near the City of Orange. I've already got one, so left it alone. You or another TC member may want to go pick it up.

Sabu.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-08 9:33 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Sabu,
That god of War mug is really impressive. I had no idea they were that large. Thanks for the wealth of great info you continue to provide.
Aloha,

By the way, I'm in the Belmont in NorCal, but thanks for the tip none the less.

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-09 09:19 am   Permalink

TikiRoyale, I live in Redwood City, so we'll have to hook up sometime. Hope to meet you at the tiki crawl...?

Do you have any photos of your Aloha Room?

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-09 09:58 am   Permalink

Hey Hula,
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this year's crawl. Here's some pics of the Aloha Room...
http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=6859&forum=1&24

aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-01-09 5:02 pm   Permalink

That makes three TCers from Belmont, aka San-Mateo-adjacent. Note this topic I posted about next week in Belmont...

http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=7054&forum=4

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation