[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Mai Tai mix at the grocery store
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Mai Tai mix at the grocery store
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-08 10:19 pm   Permalink

Okay, now I beleive the tiki revolution is upon us. I was at Kroger looking at the regular stock of mixes, mainly Sweet and Sour and there it was "Mai Tai" mix! There with the Bloody Mary and the Margarita and the olives and onions and soda water, Mai Tai. You know we have made it now. What was next to it really made me laugh though. Cosmopolitan mix. ????? It's freakin' fake cranberry juice! I can see it now, "I made one at home with my cranberry juice, but it didn't taste like at the bar. So I got this stuff with all these artificial ingredients at the store and it's just right." Trader Vic's needs to jump on this stuff now.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-08 11:07 pm   Permalink

In a pinch I use the Trader Vics Mai Tai mix. Then I customize it a little. Use spiced rum and put in a glob of cream du coconut.

Its pretty good.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-09 12:28 pm   Permalink

I find the store bought Vic's Mix to be a bit too tart when mixed using the recipe on the label, so I add a little extra orgeat and a couple shakes of orange bitters. It works well and makes the Mai Tai taste much more like what you get in the bar at TVs.

Other Mai Tai mixes are kind of disappointing. There is one by Tahiti Joe's and one by Mr. & Mrs. T as well as a couple of others. Both have a strange mix of friuty and chemically tastes that are very un- Mai Tai like. If using a mix, stick with Vic's.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-09 12:38 pm   Permalink

The only Mai Tai mix I had an easy time finding in Seattle was the Mr & Mrs T's; I never touched the stuff. Swanky, it's interesting that your local grocery store is only stocking it now, I've been seeing Mai Tai mix at the store since I was a kid.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Maori_man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-09 1:12 pm   Permalink

Well, in Oregon you have a really f-ed up Liquor situation. You have to go to the Liquor store (run by the state) to get all your hard liquor. I envy all you who can wander into you local super marts and walk out with some hooch.

Being in the frigid NW (about 5 inches of snow and an inch of ice on the gorund right now), we indulge in the Hot Buttered Rum. I was shocked and amazed when I went into my local QFC (also Kroger owned) and didn see any HBR mix but actual Trader Vics brand Tom and Jerry mix.

View Profile of Maori_man Send a personal message to Maori_man  Goto the website of Maori_man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki mick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-09 2:02 pm   Permalink

I actually tried the Mr. T's brand mix the other night..not too bad..not as good as one of Tiki Bong's Mai-tais, of course!

I got it becuase they were out of trader vics, which is actually quite good..(if you add the lime juice!!!)

After about 12 huge ones, I could no longer tell the difference, but the next DAY (to quote Shelley berman) "my toungue was asleep, and my teeth itched!!"

View Profile of tiki mick Send a personal message to tiki mick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-09 2:30 pm   Permalink

No liquor in the grocery stores here, just beer.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-11 10:02 pm   Permalink

I believe I've seen the Mr. and Mrs. T's stuff in stores around here years ago. Somebody needs to try this stuff out just so we can all be told exactly how awful it really is. If I see it around here I'll do it and give a report.

(God I hope I don't see it around here now...)

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iolani
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-01-12 08:49 am   Permalink

I'll offer my two cents' worth about the Mr. & Mrs. T's mai tai mix. Treacly and cloying and I'm not too sure there's any orgeat in it. It'll do in a pinch, like last month when I wanted to put down a few mai tais, but didn't want to drive to the bar. I cut the sweetness with some light pineapple juice and a dash of water, otherwise I'd be reaching for the pepto!

View Profile of Iolani Send a personal message to Iolani      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kava King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-12 11:39 am   Permalink

I'd rather NOT drink any mixes that take their flavor cues from Mr. OR Mrs. T. We all have our desperate moments- alone in a strange city with no Tiki flavor whatsoever, but take my word for it and pass on the "Mr/Mrs." swill. Spend your money on a small bottle of Grand Marnier, a bottle of Almond extract (baking aisle of any grocer), fresh limes and some good rum. Not for the purist, but after the 3rd one what the hell.

View Profile of Kava King Send a personal message to Kava King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-12 1:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Swanky, it's interesting that your local grocery store is only stocking it now, I've been seeing Mai Tai mix at the store since I was a kid.

Hey Humuhumu, I didn't know you've been drinking Mai Tais since you were a kid... me too!!

I agree that the T's stuff is junk and that the Vic's Mai Tai mix is pretty good if used with lime. But nothing beats the Old Fashioned Mai Tai recipe!! (hmmmm, is Monday at noon too early in the week to start drinkin'??)

www.tikimug.net
www.tikimugs.net

[ This Message was edited by: TikiHula on 2004-01-12 13:06 ]

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-13 12:19 am   Permalink

For what its worth, the liquor clerk at Smitties Grocery store in Joplin, MO told us on New Years Eve that she had been selling more Mr & Mrs T's Mai Tai mix than usual the last few months. We thought that drinking out of our tiki mugs to end a year that had been so infused with tiki would be fitting so we bought some and tried it. This was my first Mai Tai so I'm no judge of how it tasted, but I did find the report that there was actually an increasing demand for the stuff to be interesting.

[ This Message was edited by: tikijackalope on 2004-01-13 00:20 ]

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DrFunk75
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-05-19 5:48 pm   Permalink

The liquor stores here in Massachusetts and the bordering states do not carry Trader Vic's mai tai mix; they only carry Mr. and Mrs. T's. I personally find this stuff to be most dreadful! I prefer Trader Vic's mix, which I also think is not spectacular, but it is quite expensive to have shipped here to the Boston area. The last time I ordered a case of it, it cost me the same amount in shipping is it did for six bottles of the stuff! I just don't find it to be worth that!

View Profile of DrFunk75 Send a personal message to DrFunk75      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-20 09:23 am   Permalink

C' mon people, lay off the mixes! Pick up some fresh limes, orgeat and orange curacao and make your Mai Tais by hand. They'll taste soooooo much better. It's worth the extra 30 seconds.

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iolani
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-05-20 09:36 am   Permalink

Yes, Quince, hand-mixed are waaaaay better, but I'm a lazy bugguh! After a long day at work and a tough workout, sometimes a mix is the way to go.

I find this funny: in northern Virginia, the only place I know of that sells Trader Vic's mai tai mix is a middle eastern grocery. It is kind of funny to get my TV Mai Tai mix right down the aisle from the hookahs and shisha and "allahu akbar" tapestries. All a man could need!

View Profile of Iolani Send a personal message to Iolani      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation