FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Mai Tai mix at the grocery store
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Mai Tai mix at the grocery store
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-20 2:36 pm   Permalink

Yeah, middle eastern groceries are often a good place to look if you can't find something--you'd really be surprised! I needed some passion fruit syrup and didn't have time to order any from Trader Vic's, so I looked at an Indian grocery and behold! I found some that turned out to be actually pretty good! It contained real juice and pectin and not a whole lot of crap!

Actually, as far as mixes go, I'd like to get my mitts on some Trader Vic Mai Tai Concentrate--not Mai Tai Mix like you can order online--but the stuff they use at the restaurants, which tastes a lot better.

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-29 7:43 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2004-01-12 13:06, TikiHula wrote:
Quote:

Hey Humuhumu, I didn't know you've been drinking Mai Tais since you were a kid... me too!!

hohaaa!

Sounds like a new subject/thread:
When was your first drink?
Me, I started with Primo at age 12.
Just an experiement.
Dad said here, son. This'll put lead in yer pencil.
First maiTai, age 14: Dad said: Here, son; this'll put hair on yer chest!
Then when old enuff to look as if i drink, at about 16 or so, (since Hawaii had a legal minimum at 18), it was pina coladas, Blue Hawaiians and one dollah maitais each and every nite! and the ubiquitous Primo during the day at Waikiki.....

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
shroud

Posted: 2004-06-20 03:58 am   Permalink

I buy the cheap Mai Tai mix from .99 Cent Little Bucks for 99 cents a bottle. I then use it to make frozen Mai Tais in a blender. Add light Rum and Grenadine to the ice and Mai Tai mix, makes a great drink.

View Profile of shroud Send a personal message to shroud      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the wayward one

Posted: 2004-07-09 9:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-20 09:36, Iolani wrote:
Yes, Quince, hand-mixed are waaaaay better, but I'm a lazy bugguh! After a long day at work and a tough workout, sometimes a mix is the way to go.

I find this funny: in northern Virginia, the only place I know of that sells Trader Vic's mai tai mix is a middle eastern grocery. It is kind of funny to get my TV Mai Tai mix right down the aisle from the hookahs and shisha and "allahu akbar" tapestries. All a man could need!

Iolani,

if you went to the Honolulu Restaurant, you might be pleased to know that you can buy David chan's mai tai mix through their website
http://www.time2tiki.com . Best mai tai mix i've tasted. ( I have no affiliation with the restaurant, etc. it's just a great mix)

The wayward one

ps. where is the middle eastern grocery?

View Profile of the wayward one Send a personal message to the wayward one      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Olaf Nordstrom

Posted: 2004-07-21 5:26 pm   Permalink

The real thing is too easy to make. I keep a botle of Trader Vic's on hand for those rare times when I am too loaded to find the limes!

View Profile of Olaf Nordstrom Send a personal message to Olaf Nordstrom      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 5:36 pm   Permalink

Do they have diet Mai Tai mix ... ?

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SON OF MOTHRA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-22 12:30 pm   Permalink

Yes the Mr and Mrs T stuff has been out, at least in Southern Cali, for several years now. If you haven't tried it, don't even bother. It's a bland syrup mess. You might as well pour rum in Aunt Jamima syrup and serve over your pancakes. The Trader Vics is okay at best. Fresh limes is the key to cutting through the sweetness of it. And I find that it's better to add lime to taste. I often find one isn't enough. A solid ounce and a half is a good place to start. It is true that the best Mai Tais are hand made, but if you're entertaining a bunch of guests, it's great. And if you're ashamed that you're using a mix, just rip the lable off and tell everyone that it's your secret blend. Cheers!

View Profile of SON OF MOTHRA Send a personal message to SON OF MOTHRA  Email SON OF MOTHRA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-10-06 9:49 pm   Permalink

Hand-made is the best, but Trader Vic's Mai Tai mix does come in handy when you're camping. I brought it along several times this past summer, and I didn't have to also bring bottles of curacao, orgeat and simple syrup. Plus you can also use the mix to make non-alcoholic Mai Tais...a big hit with the kids. Up here in the Northwest, Safeway is carrying it.

[ This Message was edited by: Rum Balls on 2004-10-06 21:50 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Rum Balls on 2004-10-06 21:51 ]

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-12 10:14 pm   Permalink

I also discovered TV's Mai Tai mix at a local Safeway (thanks Turbogod!) and I found it to be good in a pinch or in a bought of laziness! I also found that when served to those unaccustomed to strong drinks it went over pretty well! Personally I love an authentic Mai Tai but when I serve them to guests they look as if they'd been served gasoline! The mix makes a sweeter Mai Tai and was even a big hit with my mother-in-law who even waters down beer with 7-Up.

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf Seal
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-17 10:59 pm   Permalink

I used to get the ready-mixed Trader Vic's Mai Tai at Trader Joe's, here in LA. You didn't have to add anything at all -- the rum was already in it. It was great way to save time mixing drinks at parties, but Trader Joe's said no one was buying it so they don't order it anymore. I've called everywhere to find it. Trader Vic's told me who licensed it from them, and made it for them, but when I called the guy he never returned my call.

View Profile of Surf Seal Send a personal message to Surf Seal      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-18 02:26 am   Permalink

I hear ya Surf Seal. I picked up that TV Mai Tai in a bottle three or four times at the Trader Joes here in San Diego, but one day it just disappeared never to be seen again. On a happier note though, I painstakingly built myself a Mai Tai this afternoon from all the correct ingredients I could lay my hands on following the original Trader Vic's formula (w/ the exception of bar syrup for rock candy syrup) and it rocked.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf Seal
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-18 2:22 pm   Permalink

Shipwreckjoey, I suppose it is better to slow down your drinking by mixing your Mai Tai from scratch anyway. The pre-mixed stuff was making it way too convenient.

View Profile of Surf Seal Send a personal message to Surf Seal      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-05-14 9:51 pm   Permalink

Yikes, No TV Mai Tai mix at my safeway anymore! I have checked three weeks now and not to be found.

View Profile of TikiGoon Send a personal message to TikiGoon  Email TikiGoon Goto the website of TikiGoon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-15 9:35 pm   Permalink

Here is a good story, I went to Trader Vic's with my husband last week. we had some mai tais which were just great. Ben the bartender was talking to us all night, he has been there since 1970. Anyways when we were ready to leave he gave me a bottle of Trader Vic's original formula Mai Tai Consentrate which is for professional use only so it says on the bottle.Ben told me to follow the instructions and I should have a great drink just like his... It is dark brown in color and a little thick.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WillTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-05-16 09:01 am   Permalink

Hiltiki,
What a cool thing! Gen-u-wine TV Mai-TAi mix.
Please, please, please post the instructions, ingredient list other info etc from the label. Also, look, sniff, swirl, taste etc. Please let us experience this stuff vicariously!
Thanks,
Will

View Profile of WillTiki Send a personal message to WillTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation