[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Mai Tai mix at the grocery store
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Mai Tai mix at the grocery store
tikiwinebear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 10:21 am   Permalink

Living in the wine country, most of our stores overstock in the wine section and
leave out some of the better rums and mixers. I am fortunate to find a locally
owned store named the Bottle Barn, which is an equal opportunity drinking store, for sure!

We are able to find all the Trader Vic mixes: Mai Tai, Coconut, Orgeat, rock
candy, etc. They even carry the Shag canisters full of flavored sugars.

After checking out Beachbum Berry's web site, I decided to try the $100 Mai Tai
recipe. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the Saint James Rum from Martinque, or the
Marie Brizard Orange curacao. So we improvised with another expensive Martinque rum and
Hiram Walker orange curacao. The fresh limes are available now for $.27 at the
store too. Mixing up a batch as the recipe goes, we found the $100 mai tai to be very good,
but a on the "alcohol tasting" (kinda a bourbon taste) side. Adding a bit more orange curacao, lime,
and mixers took a bit of the edge off.

Then we tried the plain, simple Trader Vic's mai tai mix with our regular dark rum and
fresh lime juice. I will admit that the premixed TV mix gave the $100 mai tai a run
for its money. Maybe you have to grow a taste for the traditional mai tai after you are
used to the TV and premixed
versions (kinda like going from white zinfandel wine to a nice
chardonnay or pinot noir).

I will continue working with the $100 receipe and see if I can find the right
touches to make it work. Incidentally, the $100 mai tai actually amounted to about $85,
and with approx 25 pours from the rums, each
glass amounts less than $3.50.

We have tried many of the other Mai tai mixes on the market, and Trader Vic's is the
only one we will buy now.

View Profile of tikiwinebear Send a personal message to tikiwinebear  Email tikiwinebear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 12:56 pm   Permalink

WillTiki, here it goes, word by word...Trader Vic's famous Mai Tai...fill a double Old-Fashioned glass with shaved ice and add: Juice of one lime (I have). 3/4 oz. Trader Vic's Mai Tai Concentrate. 1 oz. Trader Vic's Authentic Dark Rum(yeah..I have this my husband bought it for me a while ago).1 oz. Trader Vic's Premium Gold Rum(oops, shocky-docky, I dont have this one *@%$#)Mix well and garnish with mint sprig,(I have in my garden), pineapple spear, cherry. Ben said "follow instructions exactly as is"...soooo I wont be making this, for one thing it is noon and I have to go back to work and second, I dont have the *$%# rum..I hmmmm...I wonder, I have other rum all over the place...Maybe tonight I will try and post..

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WillTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-05-17 11:10 am   Permalink

Hiltiki,

Wow, thanks for the cool info...mmmm MaiTai! It sounds similar to the delicious MaiTai mix made by David Chan of the now closed Honolulu Restaurant in Alexandria Virginia. He was a bartender for Trader Vic's in DC. They bottle and sell the mix via their website:

http://www.time2tiki.com/

Could you do one more test for us? Take a small amount of the TV MT mix and mix it with some cold club soda at a five to one ratio (one part mix to 5 parts soda) and see if it tastes like a lime coke with almond. or just taste it straight for that matter.
My point is, they are getting that dark color from somewhere. If you mix a TV MaiTai "to spec and from scratch" from the officially accepted recipe(s), using available rums of course, such as St. James and Appleton's, it is just not as dark as one made from the Trader Vic's commercial dark syrup mix that you have. Although, it is darker than one made from the grocery store type Trader Vic's mix. The rums and the curacao are not dark enough to do it. Something containing a great deal of caramel coloring is necessary to get that reddish dark brown color when mixed and I suspect that something to be cola syrup.

View Profile of WillTiki Send a personal message to WillTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-17 6:23 pm   Permalink

WillTiki, here are the ingredirnts off the bottle. High Fructose corn syrup, water, natural flavors, (yeah right!!), Sodium Benzoate (E211) allright!(a perservative), artificial caramel color.......Although I have a well stocked bar SODA is definately missing tonight.... I will let you know...

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kukoae
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-05-25 9:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2005-05-16 10:21, tikiwinebear wrote:

After checking out Beachbum Berry's web site, I decided to try the $100 Mai Tai
recipe. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the Saint James Rum from Martinque, or the
Marie Brizard Orange curacao. So we improvised with another expensive Martinque rum and
Hiram Walker orange curacao.

I suspect the rum substitution was less noticeable than the curacao. I've found alot of very obvious taste variations in the various brands of curacaos... most tend to be too sweet/thin tasting.

There have been threads taste-testing the various curacaos...

http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=10742
-and-
http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=4538&forum=10&start=15

I'm sure "rum gurus" will be all over me for minimising the difference due to the rum substitution, but for now with my relatively inexperienced rum palate, the differences between same type/grade/country-of-origin rums is more subtle than I can divine in a MIXED drink.

Quote:
we found the $100 mai tai to be very good,
but a on the "alcohol tasting" (kinda a bourbon taste) side. Adding a bit more orange curacao, lime, and mixers took a bit of the edge off.

It sounds like you didn't shake it with enough ice. I've made the same mistake before in assuming the role of ice in the bartender's arsenal is cooling: it's only half of its job. The other is dilution, and it's just as important.

I already learned this the hard way with Martinis... I kept wondering why mine tasted so damned "hot" and intoxicating... when I realised that they didn't use frozen vodka and chilled vermouth at the bar, and they shook it up with lots of ice.

=Kukoae=

View Profile of Kukoae Send a personal message to Kukoae      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-21 4:48 pm   Permalink

WillTiki, yeaterday I had several maitai with the mix mentioned above, they came out excellent. Real nice, I tried the mix by itself and it tastes like a mixture of licorice and almond flavoring in real heavy dark sugary tasting syrup.

toadman

Posted: 2013-04-27 6:23 pm   Permalink

I found this brand "Kukui" Mai Tai mix at a grocery store in Maui , by far the best I have tried , I believe it is made in Kaua`i by the same company that makes Koloa Rum . Much beter than Trader Vics (a bit more expensive) , but I think it may only be available in Hawaii .

http://kimmusgrove.com/portfolio/Kukui%20Brand/kukui_specialty.html

View Profile of toadman Send a personal message to toadman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-28 12:23 am   Permalink

You all should be ashamed of yourselves!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-28 09:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-04-28 00:23, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
You all should be ashamed of yourselves!

Hahahahaaha. Indeed!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-28 09:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-04-27 18:23, toadman wrote:
I found this brand "Kukui" Mai Tai mix at a grocery store in Maui , by far the best I have tried , I believe it is made in Kaua`i by the same company that makes Koloa Rum . Much beter than Trader Vics (a bit more expensive) , but I think it may only be available in Hawaii .

http://kimmusgrove.com/portfolio/Kukui%20Brand/kukui_specialty.html

What store did you find this in?

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation