FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tropicana TIKIs
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Tropicana TIKIs
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-25 11:41 pm   Permalink

That's quite a story, Benzart. I sucks that your injuries took you off of what you enjoy doing the most. And I'm glad that you found a way to do your magic without causing more damage or ruining your back. Your newer small stuff is all the more impressive cause there's no hiding errors. With the big stuff I imagine that a few fudges can easily be unnoticed just due to shear scale. But the close up photos of the small carvings really show some excellent carving and detail.

So are you done with surgery? Can you keep on doing what you're doing without more problems to the thumbs? I hope so, cause you seem really happy with what you do, & people are lining up for your pieces.

You mentioned working at a "jewelry mfg plant carving wax masters for small gift ware and chess board sets", and it sparked an idea. Have you ever made a tiki chess set? If anyone could do it, it would be you. I could imagine that this would be a real tiki collector's item.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to share your story - it's been really fascinating.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

[ This Message was edited by: Aaron's Akua on 2004-08-26 13:30 ]

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-29 12:34 pm   Permalink

Aaron you are right about the small stuff showing more imperfections, especially the Macro Photos. You see things there you miss totally with the naked eye..Also with small carvings the scale is so limited that just a small mistake puts the whole carving out of perportion and wasts it . Hopefully I am done with surgery unless they find a better way to repair my old bones.
Here is a link to a post where a guy offered a contest for a large chess set.I won't go into detail but read the whole thread. very interesting
http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=8067&forum=1
Think about how much you would have to charge for even a Simple chess set and then answer your question from there??
My pleasure. I have a lot of experience that I don't mind sharing if it is helpful to someone. Thanks

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-29 9:42 pm   Permalink

I checked out the contest post. Super interesting, & it raised a lot of compelling opinions and viewpoints. If anyone decides to carve a tiki chess set, they better be doing it for themselves, or have a rich tiki collector patron to pay for it.

-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-18 8:41 pm   Permalink

Bumpitup

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-26 08:02 am   Permalink

For some reason, I have a strong desire to create a Chess set. I think i will use mahogany when I do it. Of course I will finish my carving list first and of course I'll let my doc tell,me when I can get back to carving, BuT, I want a Tiki Chess Set!

finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-26 10:52 am   Permalink

Do it, do it, do it!! That would be amazingly cool, a true tiki relic. You'd better stop taking carving requests then, else you'll never get it done!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-26 3:31 pm   Permalink

I can't wait to se the Maori King and Queen, and Bishop, and rook, and knight, etc.

If you do this, you know you will have to have resin casts made.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-26 3:32 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Raffertiki on 2005-03-27 04:58 ]

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-27 10:59 am   Permalink

Raffertiki, I guess you're right, it's the only way. It will be tough deciding which figures to choose for what piece but I'm sure TC will help.

Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-27 8:16 pm   Permalink

Lono would make a great castle with the headpiece, maybe Ku for the bishops, Cook Islands for the pawns? Or the whole thing could be tiki moderne, or all Maori.... So many different possibilities. It will be interesting to see what you settle on. 32 pieces could take quite a while, though! You mentioned mahogany, but won't you need say, ebony and ash or maybe something along those color lines? Sounds like an ambitious project, but if anyone could pull it off, it would be you, Ben!

-Pablo Picasso

makutiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-20 1:54 pm   Permalink

bump bump bump

View Profile of makutiki Send a personal message to makutiki  Goto the website of makutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
makutiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-20 1:58 pm   Permalink

How do I get to see the closed down pics?

View Profile of makutiki Send a personal message to makutiki  Goto the website of makutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-20 3:40 pm   Permalink

They are in the Shutterfly albums I shared at the end of the Carving thread, OR Here they are now
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8BZsnDFm3asbO

rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-20 3:56 pm   Permalink

Ben, I was talking tiki with The Pizz at the tattoo show and he told me a funny story. He had a buddy who hated to valet park. So on a trip to the tropicana he was parking out back and noticed a giant tiki by the dumpsters area. It was way to too tall for him to move on his own, So he ever so gentley bumped it with his truck till it wobbled and fell over in to bed. He drove it back to So Cal hanging out the back. The next week they got 2 more and to this day the carvings reside in his back yard around his pool.
How true this story is I dont know but it was interesting to here him tell it. He offered to email me pics sometime if he could remember to take them.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-20 3:59 pm   Permalink

That is Strange, Definitely get Pix!!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation