FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tropicana TIKIs
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Tropicana TIKIs
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-20 7:21 pm   Permalink

It's awesome seeing all these pics of "Benzart, the early Years", but also pretty sad that these incredible carvings came at the cost of your health. Those giant redwood guys are just mindblowing. What a shame these tikis weren't all kept together, it must have been quite a sight.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-20 7:55 pm   Permalink

Ben, I was just curious, how do you feel about the fact that all the tikis that you carved at the Tropicana are gone? Do you get attached to the pieces or is it easy to let go?

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2006-09-20 8:10 pm   Permalink

WOW! Ben, thanks for sharing the photo album! It was mentioned they are no longer there??? Anybody know where they went? Those redwoods could technically last for hundreds of years...

I was out in Crescent City, drove the Avenue of Giants in August, incredible & humbling.

The health issues you experienced is horrible, but glad to see you back in action creating for those who truly appreciate and value, YOU and your talents!

Now, wherez those redwoods hiding???

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-21 05:05 am   Permalink

Thanks guys, Yes you Do get attached to your carvings and hate to see them go, but bizness is Bizness. The carving is not what started my health decline, I had my first back surgery at age 21 and then again at 25. It all started when I was 15 and going to a boarding school where we worked half a day and were schooled the other half. The work was heavy construction, much heavier than a bunch of growing bones can stand. Anyone with kids, Don't let them do heavy work as teens!
SADDER than the fact that they are gone IS the story from Rodeotiki from someone who picked up a few large tikis from the DUMPSTER and are now residing in Spo Cal somewhere. Find them!!!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
IsleConch
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-24 9:42 pm   Permalink

Well I have more sad news..I went back to The Rusty Pelican in Miami this weekend and the pelicans Benz carved are also gone. It was sad to sit in there and look around at all the decoration and wonder what it must of looked like back in it's infancy 35 yrs ago.

...Castaway on the Isle of Life...

View Profile of IsleConch Send a personal message to IsleConch  Email IsleConch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation