FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Oceanic Art Books?
Oceanic Art Books?
Creature from the Slack Lagoon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-01-11 10:48 pm   Permalink

Hi all. I was wondering if there were any Oceanic Art books that any of you would recommend. I'm looking for books with a lot of detailed pictures of traditional patterns and carvings so I can give my future art projects a more authentic and less "western influenced" look. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

View Profile of Creature from the Slack Lagoon Send a personal message to Creature from the Slack Lagoon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-12 06:59 am   Permalink

I have 2:

-Oceanic Art by Anthony JP Meyer
Out-of-print, but you can still find it on Amazon.

-Oceanic Art can't recall the exact name, but it's from the Detroit Institute of Arts.

I like both, but I'm still looking for more. I'd like to find a book on Tapa...

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-12 08:20 am   Permalink

I'm always searching for these books as well when I'm out thrifting, but don't have the patience to search thru all the books. I guess they will just fall into my lap some day.

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-12 6:24 pm   Permalink

Surely not the best, but can be picked up cheap. It's got 71 color plates. I've had it for a while but was actually reading the text for the first time today. It was published in 1966 so some of the anthro theories may seem a little out of date but it's a good read. It's a small book but the pics are good; museum pieces, nothing in the field. Did I mention it's cheap?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0600367029/qid=1073956537//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i0_xgl14/103-7383448-8301422?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Creature from the Slack Lagoon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-01-12 11:41 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the recommendations! I almost bought one the other day at a used book store, but they were asking $65 for it and it was a bit on the slim side. These sound much more reasonable. I'll check 'em out.

View Profile of Creature from the Slack Lagoon Send a personal message to Creature from the Slack Lagoon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation