FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Coco Joes -VS- Hip MORE new pics!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Coco Joes -VS- Hip MORE new pics!!
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-02 2:34 pm   Permalink

here's some stuffs from my friends collection. first is this plaque over 20 inches long.

bottom

this next plaque is still white and hasn't been dipped I guess in the black resin.

these are a box of molds mostly from 1968

pele

and last but not least..beleive it or not!?!?! this is a cocojoes mongoose! they did this and a ant eater and a whale just befor they went out of buisness. I guess they were trying a more sleek look?? no cocojoes stmp but it came from the cocojoes out of buisness sale. Cocojoes had these displayed at the Ala Moana mall as a more expensive version of their stuff.

I guess this was the last thing they did to try to save the company.

Aloha

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-02 2:56 pm   Permalink

I had no idea it was white underneath and coated. I thought it was the same all the way through. I like the mongoose.

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-02 4:38 pm   Permalink

Wow, wow, WOW!!! Those molds, man...I wonder what the legality of making a new run of these puppies would be? I mean, they sold the molds, I guess they (whoever they are) don't care now. There are some cool looking ones in that stack, like the bug-eyed Moai, and I see at least a few that look like pendants (I had a nice one back in the day). That is hot stuff Gecko, thanx for sharing!

Heh heh, I never thought I'd see anyone do a tribute to a mogoose though...

, em.

View Profile of emspace Send a personal message to emspace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-02 5:42 pm   Permalink

That Moai mold was for a key chain. In the Early 90s Cornet in Kailua on the Island of Oahu had a going out of business sale and that whole line went at 50% off. I mention Cornet because that was the closest thing I've seen to a tiki dept store and had pictures of Ku scattered around the store and a "tiki" section that put the ABC store to shame.

Waikikian tiki garden tour
http://members.tripod.com/gregg-n/waikikian_tiki_gardens.htm

[ This Message was edited by: naugatiki on 2004-02-02 17:43 ]

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-24 02:58 am   Permalink

A local garage sale picker found these and sold them to me three for twelve dollars.

5" King Kamehameha I

Can anyone tell me if this 8" Coco Joe's is supposed to be a particular deity?

This shapely 8" HIP rounded out the set. Would anyone know if the general lack of nipples on bare-breasted women was something voluntary on the part of Coco Joe's and HIP?...perhaps a desire not to offend prevailing tastes in public souvenir stores...or was it necessary to fly under the wire of some sort of obscenity standard of the time?

I also got this 12" beauty recently on ebay.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-21 01:04 am   Permalink

I've been very busy but I finally found a few hours on Sunday to hit da swap meets. Mana was in da air!

my first $5 bill spent was on this rare coco joes plaque. I love it!

then this plaque was da second find. I almost passed it up because of da $20 price tag and the blue tint to the finish. But these plaques are always hard to get so I got it.

I found da old H.I.P wahine charm for $2.
Da king and da queen in da back are very rare coco joe chess peices....yes there is a whole chess set made by CCJ's. If you find any you are very lucky. Not to many were made. I only know 1 person that has the whole set. These were given to me from a good freind. The heart shaped charm on the mat is da older version. You can tell by looking at the back. Da older wun has a carved back as apposed to da flat back. So if you have this charm go check da back of yours.

well shutter fly just went down so I won't be able to show da other 2 rare peices untill they go back up. You'll like the next two. So stay tuned.

Aloha

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-04-21 09:33 am   Permalink

Gecko bra!

Are those molds Freddies? If you keep posting cool stuff I might just have to think about a trade for the Morgantown TV glass!

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-21 09:42 am   Permalink

tikijackalope~

I think maybe that one you asked about is Kanaloa, which I say because of the round eyes.

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-21 10:10 am   Permalink

G man. you lucky boy you! I am going to find a few days to carve with you brother. This has really got to happen, I feel it.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-22 01:19 am   Permalink

Ok, here's da second half since I got kicked off of shutterfly last night. Here's da rest.

anybody recognize this OKOLE?

still has da tag.
yes, dat's da wun Aquarj posted earlier on this topic and gave me many sleepless nights because I didn't have it! well I slept good for da last 3 days!! super find at $8.
the other 2 were given to me by braddah Freddy. They are Pen Holders. If you have da wahine there is 2 versions one, with a bikini top and da uddah is topless and is older than the covered wun. Freddy has da wun with nipples.

here's a rare white coco joes. These were made just befor they went out of buisness. Not to many were made. Like the lava these were made with real coral mixed in with the resin. That was kinda stupid of coco joes with all da coral reef protective groups on da island. Regardless, it's rare and it's now in my collection.

I agree with PJ that it looks like Kanaloa to but not fo sho?
Coco joes made up some of it's figures and made up stories to go with them. H.I.P however told da real legends about all da Tikis. The stories came from wun of da big Kahunas here on da islands. His name is at da tip of my tounge because I was just talking about him lastnight with a friend.

Bong, HA! Freddie wish those were his! he has 12 of mine at his house(thought I forgot eh) I know he's reading this. Anyways, those all belong to me braddah Bong. The charm that Freddy gave you was from a rare mold that came from that batch.

Braddah Chiki, da bad ass carver from So. Cal .....no worries brah, nooooo worries!!! We'll get together and do some ono work together! eh, put some money together and open up a dream spot down there in So. Cal like Braddah Brad da Beach! Like dat wun haole on TV wen sed "If you build it, dem braddahz gon come" think about it.

shaka

[ This Message was edited by: gecko on 2004-04-22 01:23 ]

Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-17 5:00 pm   Permalink

can anyone date this guy? Has no markings. Any info makes Z happy.

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-17 5:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if this 8" Coco Joe's is supposed to be a particular deity?

I actually have this one with the paper label still attached. It's LAUKAPALILI, GOD OF THE "WINDS OF LOVE.'

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-18 7:27 pm   Permalink

Hey, Very nice! I have not seen those with the Hapa Wood bases before either. Cool! I do have two with Coco Menehune fishermen with brown bases that say Hawaii and are made of a thin resin. If I could figure out how to put pictures on here I could show you.
I too, also believe HIP to be a seperate company than Coco Joes. The quality of Coco Joes is so much better! Of all the pieces that I have, only the HIP pieces have the finish coming off. I would believe that if the companys were connected, they would use the exact same methods and have the same quality finishes. I am not an expert but that is what I have seen. See yah!

Quote:

On 2004-01-13 00:16, GECKO wrote:
Aloha ohana,

Being we have all da experts here, will you please jump in!!

Whats up with these 2 companys? ORRRRR, is HIP a part of Coco Joes? they resemble each other a lot ya.
If this subject is already covered in Tiki Quest sorry but I haven't stoped druling ova da pics yet so I'll get to da reading laterz.

If you get da kine that might not be in Dukes book or even if they are, I was just hoping to see some collections. I know it's a pain uploading pics but eh "swhy hod" ("dats too bad" in pigon). I hate it to. but heres a couple of mine.

anyways just wanted to see if you braddahz and sisstahz are HIP to collecting CoCo Joes.......dats my weak punch line.

I jus wen picked these up ova da weekend. I haven't seen this style in Tiki Quest. No year is stamped on....for my beer drinkerz, no born on date!

the bottom is made to look like wood

da base has 64 on da first tiki, 62 on da 2nd and nothing on da 3rd tiki??? know what that means?

4 of my original coco joe molds from 1968.

more pics to come later.

Live Aloha

[ This Message was edited by: gecko on 2004-01-13 00:20 ]

[ This Message was edited by: gecko on 2004-01-13 00:21 ]

[ This Message was edited by: GECKO on 2004-02-02 14:34 ]

[ This Message was edited by: gecko on 2004-04-22 01:51 ]

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-10 02:19 am   Permalink

I finally know what I am doing on here now so here is the pictures that I said I would add of the Coco Joe items with the seperate brown resin bases. They sure look sharp like this when you have the black and the Hapa wood color. Both have Hawaii on the front of their bases. Dan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-10 12:38 pm   Permalink

I thought Id post here, where the lava figurine collectors are: do any of you have information on (what I think) might be a company older than Cocojoes and HIP ~ Holo-Ka-Hana, Ltd.

the label

reads:

Nanea (fascinating)

The latest creation by Holo-Ka-Hana, Ltd.

Nona Kapuailohia Beamer, recognized exponent of Hawaiian hula, named this fascinating figurine. Talented Georgi Daniel sculptured (Nanea) as well as Menehune Hauoli, Ki'i, Hoohehe'e, Koa, the Hawaiian warrior and Haunani, the beautiful Hawaiian miss.

All figurines are registered in the Territory of Hawaii, and are the exclusive property of Holo-Ka-Hana.

Lava from a recent volcanic eruption is used in a secret process giving these masterpieces of Hawaiiana a true distinction. Something to be treasured with your other fine pieces. These are not reproductions of great art - they are original authentic, and exclusive- made only by Holo-Ka-Hana, Ltd. Honolulu, Hawaii, We sincerely hope you will treasure (Nanea)

Ive googled to find out more about the company, but Im having no luck. Nona Kapuailohia Beamer is the mother to Keola Beamer, the musician. Georgi Daniel passed away at the age of 82 in 1998.

oh and while i'm here: how do you clean & protect your cocojoes/HIPs? i thought the soap n water, soft damp towel would work, but they're still pretty grungy.

thanks
elicia

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation