[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Weeping Warrior candle
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Weeping Warrior candle
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-13 8:29 pm   Permalink

I saw a "Weeping Warrior" candle recently at an antique mall and am wondering if its part of a collection. Its a nearly black candle in the shape of a Hawaiian-style tiki god with long ducts which extend from the eyes upward to the top and center of the candle such that as it would burn, the liquid wax would flow out the eyes. Of course, as you burn it, you destroy it which is why I've never gotten the appeal of shaped candles. It looks kinda cool but its $12. Has anyone seen these and are they a set?

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-14 09:33 am   Permalink

I don't know about them being a set- but I have seen and owned a few different sizes and styles. My fav is this 15 inch tall one:

http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/misc/abs

There was a candle company in Hawaii making them- can't remember their name right now, but I'll find it...

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-14 11:04 am   Permalink

I love that candle TikiHula!

It was my very first Tiki purchase.

I found it at a second hand furniture store less than a block from my house. The owner was just using it for decoration, so she sold it to me for $1!

SCORE!

-Tikiwahine

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-14 7:07 pm   Permalink

Check out our local TC candlemaker suburbanpagan. He spoke of having a weeping candle as you have and I believe he may have a mold for it,

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-15 2:10 pm   Permalink

That "Wheeping Tiki" candle is one of my favourite concepts in Tiki-dom! I was wheeping when I had to decide that I would not have enough room in my "Hunters & Colectors" chapter to properly display and describe it. It looks so cool when the wax tears start running!(I saw some used ones.)

"Hula Dancers and Tiki Gods" unfortunately missed the opportunity to show it off by describing it on page 195 merely as "Tiki Candle- The farther down they burn, the more character they get". There are two on page 161 of Tiki Quest, and there are other designs.

A while back, Hilo Hattie's was using an old mold of one for their candles, but they neglected to drill the tear duct holes!

About two years ago someone was selling several old stock ones on e-bay, unused and in the original package. Fatu Hiva, didn't you get some?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-15 2:20 pm   Permalink

Strangely enough, my first memories of anything tiki involved a weeping moai candle. When I was a youngun (in the 60s), my neighbor's cousins came to visit from Hawaii. They brought one of these candles, and we lit it up during an evening party. I sat for an hour watching the moai cry! Those memories are what got me into tiki!

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-15 5:25 pm   Permalink

Seeee! What a moving story, I think I am going to cry...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-16 01:18 am   Permalink

Thanks for the reference Benzart! It is true....it was my first tiki purchase and I still have it! I've had to carve out the eyes a couple of times because I used it a few times.... I started carving my own "criers" because I couldn't find them anymore! Here is my version of a weeping warrior:

the one on the right cries, the left one only winces a little!
I'll snap a pic of my original and upload it ASAP!

[ This Message was edited by: suburbanpagan on 2004-01-16 01:19 ]

View Profile of suburbanpagan Send a personal message to suburbanpagan  Email suburbanpagan Goto the website of suburbanpagan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-16 2:12 pm   Permalink

That is really cool suburbanpagan,

Mine was a little used when I got it, just so that the tears had started to flow. I'll never use or rid myself of that precious warrior.

I love the fact that you now make them for yourself and others to enjoy!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-16 4:20 pm   Permalink

Great score, TikiWahine! Nice to see that you can still find some great stuff at wow prices! That candle is soooo cooool

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-19 6:49 pm   Permalink

Well, between reading your responses and the dealer lowering the price to $8, I convinced myself to buy the candle. I'll get a pic of it posted soon.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2004-01-24 06:53 ]

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McDougall
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-19 9:16 pm   Permalink

I got this guy on ebay for about $3 a while back, says T15 The Famous Crying Tiki Of Polynesia, Aloha Candle Company, Haneohe, Hawaii. Fixin' to burn him soon. A Moai.

View Profile of McDougall Send a personal message to McDougall  Email McDougall Goto the website of McDougall     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-24 05:36 am   Permalink

Sorry for the quality of the quickie photo effort, but here's the candle; its about 6" tall and the tag is about 2" square:

SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-24 08:20 am   Permalink

"In the event the candle fails to weep,puncture eyes with a sharp object to free any obstacles."

Ouch! Yeah that would make me cry too!

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-08 11:12 am   Permalink

Savage Renewal: Archaeology: Weeping Tiki Candles!

Weeping candles fascinate me. My very first tiki find in the wild was this big guy, bought only one block from my house for $1. So far I have two!

I recently found another one, this one is tiny compared to the big guy!

Here is another style I found pictures of online. This one is for sale at
Collectibles in Paradise for $18.

Does anyone else collect these?
I'd love to see some new pictures of old weepers!

Great Minds Drink Alike

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation