FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki August Holland had a third tiki print!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
August Holland had a third tiki print!
Tiki Lee's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-06 7:52 pm   Permalink

HEY, Look what my wife found at a friend's house the other day....!

O.k., so I borrowed that photo from another post, but she really did find one of the ever-elusive August Holland "Fire God" prints at a friend's house...
and he GAVE IT TO HER!

Man, I Love My Wife!

The Big debate now is "is the figure Male Or Female"? Classic Maori art is almost always typically Male, but consider these factoids:
1)Long Hair
2)Stylized boobs
3)Opening what suspiciously looks like "Pandora's Box"
4) Mr. Holland, being an American, was open to "Artistic Licence" and might have thought that he'd change tradition up a bit.

The debate is now OPEN FOR DISCUSSION!

View Profile of Tiki Lee's Send a personal message to Tiki Lee's      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-07 03:25 am   Permalink

Full facial moko (tattoo) = male, and the stylised boobs are just the shoulders in the usual place for this type of figure. I don't think this is a wahine, although he has certainly taken a few liberties with him(?)! Mostly by just using parallel lines where there would be intricate surface patterns...

Wahine & Tane

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2013-10-28 07:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

I am sorry to say that it would be VERY expensive to reprint "The Pearl". I
checked it out in 2001 when others asked. It would cost me $1000. to get 10
prints in the new giclee printing and $5000. for 500 prints like the ones
to which you refer. On top of that it would cost more just to have the
company look for the file copy print. In order for it to be worth my while
I would have to double the price and be assured of selling what I have
printed.

i have talked to my friends that own the gallery that holds most of
August's paintings and they are with me in that I shouldn't print anymore.
Thanks again,
Judith

Now that we're about to be thirteen years beyond 2001, I think it's time we reevaluated the needless rarity of the August Holland tiki images. Many classic-era tiki menu images & paintings are readily available as on-demand canvas & paper prints through companies like this...

http://www.metropix.org/RetroHawaii

Even if copyright is still an issue where Holland's art is concerned, there's absolutely no reason (it seems to me) that someone can't be making money while satisfying a great designer's/collector's market for the rarities. If copyright is NOT a consideration, then can we have a lucky owner make his/her print available for high-rez scanning & reproduction?

For those of you unfamiliar with the art in question, you've probably encountered this image before...

This is the most common, and remains available even now on Etsy, eBay and can be found in antique shops across the U.S.
These, on the other hand, are wickedly rare and in high demand by both tikiphiles and Mid-Century Modern vintage collectors...

Given the state of computerized printing technology and the dearth of contemporary tiki fine art, I believe it's high time that we get these excellent artifacts back into the marketplace.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation