FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki explain over-sized tiki wooden forks and spoons?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
explain over-sized tiki wooden forks and spoons?
tiki junkman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-20 8:58 pm   Permalink

*Sorry if this is too far off topic* Quick tiki fork and spoon story: Back in college a few years ago, my roomates and I had a set of these hanging on the wall as my donation to the house. One night while I was greatly intoxicated, we decided to drive through the town on my friend's Vespa with me on the back. I thought I needed a weapon and so down the fork and spoon went. Off in the night a Vespa motor raced through the streets and a crazed drunk lunatic on the back waved his tiki weaponry to onlookers. During the drive, the waving spoon caught the wind and it slammed right into my face. It was hard to explain that welt the next day.

View Profile of tiki junkman Send a personal message to tiki junkman  Email tiki junkman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-23 12:35 pm   Permalink

I have a question:

Did Witco ever make a wooden utensils piece? 'cause I think I just bought it at the thrift store.

I'll try to describe it (I'll add a photo later, no digi-cam):

The utensils are dark wood and organic (very Witco looking) and they are mounted on a wood framed chip-board that is broken up into 6 compartments (3 are small and painted in 50's colours, 3 are large and the wooden knife, fork or spoon are mounted inside). The overall size of this piece is 3 1/2 feet tall by 2 1/2 feet wide. All the utensils are mounted with the handles pointed upward.

More detail:

The compartments occur as follows; the piece is divided into three columns.

The first column is then intersected at about 5/6ths of the way down. The top part of the column houses the large wooden knife. The bottom part of this first column (from the left) is painted aqua blue.

The second (middle) column is intersected at about 1/6th of the way down. The top section is painted a darker orange. The bottom 5/6th houses the large fork.

the third column is intersected like the first column, about 5/6ths of the way down. the top portion houses the spoon. The bottom section is painted a light yellow ochre.

Any info would be appreciated.

-Slacks

[ This Message was edited by: Slacks Ferret on 2004-01-23 12:43 ]

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-23 12:51 pm   Permalink

Those big utensils always make me hunger 'cause I'm a big man with a big appetite!

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rorysm
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-29 2:19 pm   Permalink

I think I found the giant oversized chopsticks that complete the set.... no, wait... those are just pool cues... darn the luck.

View Profile of Rorysm Send a personal message to Rorysm  Goto the website of Rorysm     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-07-20 2:02 pm   Permalink

i now know, the Transportation Security Administration do not consider Giant Tiki Forks & Spoons as prohibited carry on items on aircraft.

i was suprised to see my dad walk off the jetway with a set of oversized cutlery draped around his neck. yes, he had fastened the fork & spoon together with twine.

had I been a TSA agent, i would have thought "Gee, asian guy with giantic wooden tableware ~ looks a bit like nunchucks. and gee, they also dont fit in an overhead bin. maybe this might be a security issue"..

good thing my dad's not a 'sleeper agent!'

and lucky for me, i FINALLY have a set of big salad servers! (but they're sorta more african than tiki..)

elicia

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-21 02:13 am   Permalink

I found a plastic one; I've never seen them in plastic before.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-21 11:29 am   Permalink

i've got a pair in plastic. I bid on them years ago.. description said they where wood. oh well, It was a dry spell.. now I can't shake one of thos oversized spoons with out hitting any wne i go to the thirft stores.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-21 12:26 pm   Permalink

I could've sworn they had something to do with Wayne Coombs!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-21 2:22 pm   Permalink

I have gone thru several sets of them...they are best epoxy'd screwd or glued to outhouses, restrooms,sewage or septic out buildings, or around anything which is nausiating.

Go now thee, and plant these seeds of wisdom where you will!

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-02 2:58 pm   Permalink

SLACKSFERRETT!

WHERE IS THE PICTURE?

Aloha!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-02 5:04 pm   Permalink

A variation on the giant tiki utensil theme :

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-02 5:13 pm   Permalink

so, are those scissors GIANT?! Can you maybe post a pic with something for size refrence? I don't think I've ever seen scissors that big before!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-12-02 5:24 pm   Permalink

I think I mentioned this in a previous thread, but their true purpose is for tossing Wahine Salad! (You can't argue with Elvis, can you?)

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-02 5:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-02 17:04, puamana wrote:
A variation on the giant tiki utensil theme :

Aye, there's a knitting shop (don't ask) in my town that has a pair of these scissors in the window. I was tempted to make them an offer for about 5 seconds until I realised how shite they would look anywhere in the house.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-03 07:20 am   Permalink

_clearly_ they're for cutting the ribbon at the grand opening of your tiki bar!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation