FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki explain over-sized tiki wooden forks and spoons?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
explain over-sized tiki wooden forks and spoons?
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-03 12:57 pm   Permalink

My Witco fork, knife and spoon. Sorry about the crappy photo.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-03 3:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-01-15 08:31, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:
The two explanations that I received from two different Filipino/Chinese families were:

1) The symbolism means having good health and a prosperous family. The oversizing enhances that symbolism. The spoon and fork were symbols of good health since "food" would be the source for a healthy body (insert hamburger & fries jokes here). They also joked saying that Americans who display their "miniature spoon" collection would bring inauspicious fortune (from the small size of the spoons).

2) The symbolism means family strength since the time that the family is actually gathered together is at meal time. Again, the oversizing is to emphasize that strength for all that visit the home to see.

In addition, I was told that it didn't matter if the size of your family was 1 or 10 (in the home), the symbolism of "family" was anyone who joined you in your dining area. Also, the spoon and fork was to be displayed near the dining table, traditionally the gathering place of the family.

Hope this helps.

Bollucks! These are a throwback from the days before the salad friendly "cherry" tomato was cultivated. Huge wooden implements were needed to deal with the unwieldy sandwich sized vegetables.

I salivate whenever I see these. I have one set but I need more! I also have a matching serving bowl with identical tiki on the handle.

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaiTaiMafia
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-12-20 11:29 pm   Permalink

Mrs. MTM is full-blooded Filipino and she confirmed what SugarCaddyDaddy said. It is symbolic of family, good fortune and happiness. Go to any old-school Filipino's home and you will find the wooden spoon and fork. Some of my Filipino local friends here joke about the wooden spoon/fork thing as one of their culture's "quirks"...

View Profile of MaiTaiMafia Send a personal message to MaiTaiMafia  Email MaiTaiMafia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-21 7:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-20 23:29, MaiTaiMafia wrote:
Mrs. MTM is full-blooded Filipino and she confirmed what SugarCaddyDaddy said. It is symbolic of family, good fortune and happiness. Go to any old-school Filipino's home and you will find the wooden spoon and fork. Some of my Filipino local friends here joke about the wooden spoon/fork thing as one of their culture's "quirks"...

Yes also shell lamps and and needle point are required.

View Profile of Rattiki Send a personal message to Rattiki  Email Rattiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaiTaiMafia
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-01-04 03:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

Yes also shell lamps and and needle point are required.

... and the gentle aroma of bagaong wafting through the house...

View Profile of MaiTaiMafia Send a personal message to MaiTaiMafia  Email MaiTaiMafia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation