FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Oceanic Arts, Whittier, CA (store)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Oceanic Arts, Whittier, CA (store)
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-08 5:22 pm   Permalink

So I was at OA today picking up some stuff for a job I've been working on and Bob and Leroy sat me down at the front desk and said they had something for me. I'm thinking it was an old invoice for Eli or what not. They reach down and put this up on the counter.

BLEW MY MIND!!! Leroy hand carved it.

Moocho MAhalos Bob and Leroy!

And everyone else at OCEANIC ARTS!!!

You're all the Best!

BB

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-08 5:36 pm   Permalink

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-08 6:00 pm   Permalink

Wow, that was a really nice thing to do, very cool sign.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-08 7:30 pm   Permalink

Class act, those guys. Old school certificate of being in the club.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-08 7:44 pm   Permalink

How freakin' cool is that?

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-08 9:28 pm   Permalink

Ben,

That's awesome, a true testament to your work from the guys who know.

Where you going to put it??

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Enchanted Tiki Guy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-12 2:42 pm   Permalink

Man, I sooo love Oceanic Arts! I've gotta go again real soon! I decorated most of my Enchanted Tiki Bathroom with their great merchandise!

View Profile of Enchanted Tiki Guy Send a personal message to Enchanted Tiki Guy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-14 10:08 am   Permalink

I've been visiting O.A. for more research lately, its a nice drive to Whittier on a sunny, warm day...

...only to disappear in the dark bowels of the oldest and biggest Tiki repository in existence.

So, having met Lake Surfer first way back when at Exotica Chicago in 2003, and knowing he would be in town, I gladly took the opportunity to introduce him to Bob and Leroy, who had liked his classic Tiki stylings

Leroy sharing Tiki wisdom with Dave Hansen and his lovely Wahine:

As we were about to leave, a shipment of Bamboo arrived from China:

Talk a bout a truck load of bamboo!

We managed to squeeze in some ribs and Mai Tais at Bahooka before Dave had to go and vend at the Tonga Hut:

Here's to Lake Surfer, staunch upholder of the tradition in the virtual Tiki wasteland of Wisconcin!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-12-14 10:15 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-14 9:04 pm   Permalink

Cheers!

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-15 5:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-14 10:08, bigbrotiki wrote:
Leroy sharing Tiki wisdom with Dave Hansen and his lovely Wahine:

Boy I sure would like to take a gander at those folders some day, must be a treasure chest of history in those old dusty binders. I talked to Dave at Tonga Hut that night and we was stoked to have had the experience at OA.

Thanks for the post.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-21 06:32 am   Permalink

While doing research for my next projects (shirt book, next Tiki CD, and such) at Oceanic Art recently, I came across two small sensational finds (for those who can relate) that I want to share here to spread the holiday cheer. First a local Pico Rivera community newspaper article from 1958 which Bob pulled out for me, with two photos, this one being the "sensation":

Bob van Oosting is CARVING! Granted, this photo of both Bob and Leroy chiseling on one log is posed for the article, but besides it being downright cute, Bob informed me that in the early days he in fact was quite involved with the hands on manufacture of Oceanic art also, and that only as demand increased did he take over the business side of things.

Further proof is the next photo from the article, both men working on a mosaic background for a mask, from the same series that I show an example of on page 222 of Tiki Modern:

The next surprise was a proposed but never realized design for an Aloha wear clothing store chain called Kimo's. The model store pictured in their franchise promotional flier had been outfitted with Witco furnishings (see Tiki Modern page 198), but because they were actually located in Santa Barbara, they contacted O.A. for future projects. Asked to submit designs for store fixtures, Leroy whipped up some renderings that were in keeping with the flagship store's look, but still un-mistakenly his own, here is my favorite, Leroy does Witco (!), 1968:

Unfortunately, times and tastes were such that it was not chosen, in favor of something less Tiki oriented. But this rendering will definitely go into MY next book!

Mentioning books, I signed a stack of Tiki Moderns that are available at O.A., and just want to remind everyone in L.A. that Oceanic Arts is really THE one-stop Tiki shop for your X-mas gift needs. Not only do they have a their time-tested carvings and beachcomber lamps, but a complete line of Tiki Farm mugs, Exotica CDs, books, prints, Luau paper supplies, really whatever the Tikiphile heart desires- and then some! We are truly fortunate to have them in our backyard down here in Southern California.
Mele Kukalimoko, everybody!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-12-21 11:03 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation