FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki need info on newer trader vics mugs, because i might get some originals
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
need info on newer trader vics mugs, because i might get some originals
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-18 8:10 pm   Permalink

did a search, found no info on this. the nearest trader vics is a bit of a drive, abd being that it is the beverly hills one, it is too shi shi. the last time i went was about 6 years ago, and they seem to frown upon the hawaiian print clad tiki loving visitors. long story short, i dont go there. my question is what does trader vics have in the line of mugs that can be purchased now. want to know if it is worth a visit for some new additions.
thanks
ps pics would be appreciated

[ This Message was edited by: tikitanked on 2004-01-19 10:23 ]

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-19 10:22 am   Permalink

i think this post has been written off as a dumb question. thought the post was long winded enough without getting into the whole story. maybe the full detail will elicit a responce.
i am aware that tikifarm is producing some Trader Vic repros, and i believe that they are available at Trader Vics.
i went to the rose bowl flea market to sell. i took a break and saw that a seller had the trader vics bowl, the one with the three hulas, the pineapple, and some of the coconuts. i would have bought them outright, but the prices were a bit ridiculous. they also appeared too new, when i flipped the bowl over the foot did not appear to have age discoloration. the pineapple and cocs were the same. i didnt talk to the seller, just grabbed his card and walked away.
geckos post on Trader Vics made me think about this, which led to the question as to what trader vics is selling. it also made me wonder if the seller has the real deal and they were stored really well or that he found a way to clean even the foot. if they are making new ones, i might go down and get at least the bowl to use. if they are not, i may consider calling the seller and trying to talk him down. in the end, i would like to have the originals, but my pocketbook aint fat enough for that kinda numbers.
hopefully this all said, someone will respond and save me a drive to Trader Vics.
thanks

[ This Message was edited by: tikitanked on 2004-01-19 10:24 ]

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-19 11:00 am   Permalink

At Trader Vic's Beverly Hills I don't think they even have the giveaway aloha coconuts. Tiki farm produced a series of TV mugs, but, no TV carries them. I purchased a TV hula girl scorpian bowl at the Emeryville TV for $22.00. I also purchased a fogcutter (the "new" kind with Vic and the two wahines) for $15.00. They also have the giveaway Aloha Coconuts in Emeryville. I don't think they'll deal in Beverly Hills.
Mahalo,
Al

[ This Message was edited by: Alnshely on 2004-01-19 11:02 ]

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-19 11:07 am   Permalink

thank you alnshely,
so this seller may possibly have been selling a new version of the bowl. what about the pineapple mug, does your trader vic carry one?

Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-19 11:46 am   Permalink

I got the bowl like this one. In the older bowls the Hula Girls are "thinner", the bowl I purchased was one the restaurant was using, old style, the Hula Girl was a bit thicker though.

The Fogcutter I bought was like this. Again a mug they had been using. I am unfamiliar with any TV Pineapple Mug.

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ModMana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-19 12:51 pm   Permalink

I purchased one of the large scorpion bowls with the 3 Moai around it (dark brown version) at the Emeryville Trader Vics fairly recently. I paid $30 for it and have since seen the same bowl sold on eBay for over $100 and marketed as vintage. You do have to be careful what you buy because not everyone is completely up front with the true story...

ModMana

View Profile of ModMana Send a personal message to ModMana  Email ModMana     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Monitors
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-20 01:53 am   Permalink

My buddies and I were recently at Trader Vic's Beverly and they do give away the aloha mugs. As for cool mugs, my vote goes to the rum barell, the skull, and the coffee grog mug. According to the waiter, everything was for sale except they were low on mugs, so they weren't selling any of their stuff. But you can call the SF headquarters and order it.

View Profile of The Monitors Send a personal message to The Monitors  Email The Monitors     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Monitors
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-20 01:56 am   Permalink

Trader Vic's wholesale office
415-775-6300

View Profile of The Monitors Send a personal message to The Monitors  Email The Monitors     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-20 09:23 am   Permalink

monitors,
thank you for the info.
called the seller. he swears that the bowl and mugs are originals, and mentioned something that i did not notice, that there were some hairline cracks on the bowl. $125 for a bowl is way out of my range.
oh well, will settle for a new edition of the bowl and keep searching for the original pineapple.

Kanaka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-20 4:33 pm   Permalink

Trader Vic's Atlanta only sell's the Aloha coconut and the Mai Tai glass. Joel the bartender said they were allowed to sell any of them but Manzoor didn't like the low profit margin and refuses to sell anything else.

Monitors, does the wholesale office sell the entire line up to the public?

Scotty

View Profile of Kanaka Send a personal message to Kanaka  Email Kanaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-20 4:53 pm   Permalink

last time I was at the Chicago TV (in 2000) they were willing to sell almost any of their mugs & bowls, but when my wife went last year, they wouldn't sell her anything.

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Monitors
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-20 6:00 pm   Permalink

Tikitanked,

According to the waiter everything was for sale. The Rum barell, which is the largest thing on the menu sold for $30, so everything else should be below that.

I'll try calling and find out

The Monitors
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-20 6:03 pm   Permalink

Just called and left a message --it's already after hours, if I hear anything I'll let you guys know.

UtopianDreem
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-01-20 11:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-01-20 16:53, Feelin' Zombified wrote:
last time I was at the Chicago TV (in 2000) they were willing to sell almost any of their mugs & bowls, but when my wife went last year, they wouldn't sell her anything.

Had a similar experience as your wife at the Beverly Hills location last year. Asked about purchasing a mug or bowl and was told they weren't for sale. I'm interested to find out what the corporate level has to say.

Thanks to all of you who are looking into this!

View Profile of UtopianDreem Send a personal message to UtopianDreem  Email UtopianDreem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mriddle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-21 09:54 am   Permalink

Thanks guys for the info. Trader Vics definately does sell the Mai Tai glasses and the Cocnut mugs. In fact, on my trip to San Francisco last week, I went to the original TV. I picked up 2 Mai Tai classes. The also sold a larger "pint-like" glass (same design) and quite a few hawaiian shirts with the TV logos or images. They also had very expensive TV cufflinks. The coconut cups come when you order a specific drink on the menu (can't remember the name) for about $8.

View Profile of mriddle Send a personal message to mriddle  Email mriddle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation