[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving A few of my earlier Tikis
A few of my earlier Tikis
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-18 9:46 pm   Permalink

These were all Pre Tropicana

[ This Message was edited by: Benzart on 2004-01-19 06:44 ]

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-18 11:10 pm   Permalink

Those are really nice Benzart!
Do you use Afro Sheen for the hair?

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-19 06:06 am   Permalink

NO, I couldn.t find it in gallon size

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rain
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-19 07:36 am   Permalink

very very cool -
i like the last one best, with the big, round eyes.
thanks for posting those!

View Profile of Rain Send a personal message to Rain  Email Rain Goto the website of Rain     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-19 09:46 am   Permalink

That first one reminds me of Chewbacca with no sleep...

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-19 10:13 am   Permalink

Nice stuff, once again Benz! When were these made? By the way,do you use chisels, electric tools, or a combo?

View Profile of suburbanpagan Send a personal message to suburbanpagan  Email suburbanpagan Goto the website of suburbanpagan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-19 2:15 pm   Permalink

what kinda wood is da first? I love the grain

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-19 4:58 pm   Permalink

I used Chainsaw first to remove big chunks, then chisels and gouges for the final detail with Angle and Pad sanders in between.
I started out first as a Chainsaw Artist using Grinders also. Then I met the Magic Chisels and gouges. I carved in Ft.Lauderdale/Deerfield area (Florida) for about 10 years.
The first one is Florida Mahogany which has a beautiful grain but is not usually clear.
Thanks guys and gals

[ This Message was edited by: Benzart on 2004-01-19 16:59 ]

suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-19 6:23 pm   Permalink

while renovating her old house, a friend of mine discovered that someone placed a chisel next to a grape nehi bottle on the framing in the wall! The bottle was dated 1936...I'm dying to get my hands on that chisel to carve my tikis! I'm creating a legend for it and everything! HAHA!

View Profile of suburbanpagan Send a personal message to suburbanpagan  Email suburbanpagan Goto the website of suburbanpagan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McDougall
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-19 8:06 pm   Permalink

Benzart, where do you find that FL Mohogany? I was talking to alandscaping friend about that wood the other day. I love carving Mohogany, but have been spending a fortune on blocks of the wood, would prefer a nice knotted up piece of trunck or something

View Profile of McDougall Send a personal message to McDougall  Email McDougall Goto the website of McDougall     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-20 08:52 am   Permalink

You need to make friends with All the Local Tree Trimmer companies. Find their shops and make weekly rounds. Most of them have an Equipment yard where they store trucks, large tools and large piles of wood to take to the dump later!!!! Carve 'em a Tiki and you will be blessed with wood. south Florida is blessed with some good carving wood like mahogany, Silk Oak, Cypress, Mango, Norfolk Island Pine, Ficus, Java Plum and Sable palm to name a few. Not like our fortunate friends out west though.....
Hope this helps.

Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-20 09:15 am   Permalink

Your wood knowledge is sharp...I still have to ask the guys up at the sawmill what I'm looking at sometimes. Great work, too!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-20 8:50 pm   Permalink

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-20 9:04 pm   Permalink

Thanks again, my guys. After awhile you get to carve about every species of wood in the area and you develop your favorites that you always look for. The ones that have given you the Magical moment. Just don't ever turn down a piece of wood cuz u dont know what it is, you have to explore.Pretty soon the tree guys will be stoppin by your place with loads of wood Before they go to the dump, instead of sayin when u come in "Gee we just took a load of Beautiful wood down to the dump, sure wish I knowed u could used it".Anyway you all know carvers who seem to get All the wood? I was that guy. I had dump trucks brought to me so they wood keep from paying the dump prices.Course I gave a Lot of wood away to my fellow carvers cuz I had way too much.

[ This Message was edited by: Benzart on 2004-01-21 08:29 ]

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-20 9:47 pm   Permalink

A Few of my Older tikis

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation