FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Tiki Trash
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tiki Trash
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-20 09:25 am   Permalink

Hmmmm....I'm gonna plead the fifth on this one...and the "say nice" rule. Cou-Cough...exc-cough excuse me (puking...)

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-20 09:35 am   Permalink

another fine mesh you've gotten us into...

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Philot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-20 09:41 am   Permalink

gustw:
I certainly wasn't casting aspersions upon your design. I was trying to point out that it fits in quite well with how Tiki stuff is seen in pop culture.

Now, jumping in here as a new poster and promoting your product does make it appear that you're one of those people following the current Tiki fad. Different people here on the board will have different views on whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. Hell, it was a fad in the 60's, too.

View Profile of Philot Send a personal message to Philot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gustw
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-01-20 10:12 am   Permalink

I guess a "TIKI TRASH TALKERS" design would've gone over better with this group...but it couldn't be a mesh trucker hat, cuz you know the "20-somethings" aren't wearing them anymore.

it's great to be down with tiki since day one...BUT...

When did you get on the Shag bandwagon, and when did you jump off?

those silly trendsters...what will they wear next? Fedoras?

View Profile of gustw Send a personal message to gustw  Email gustw Goto the website of gustw     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-20 10:53 am   Permalink

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gustw
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-01-20 11:11 am   Permalink

You got something there Johnny Dollar...a new t-shirt design perhaps?

Mojo could be your celeb endorsement...

And Philot...I got you, what you said was fair, I was reacting to what seemed to be a whole lotta polynesian pretension, but maybe Dawn just ain't down witit...ya know?

But, let me say this...if I was out to make a buck off trends (tiki or otherwise), I would've bought Von Dutch hats wholesale and sold 'em off at $100 a pop. My designs are silly, maybe just stupid, but they're not money makers.

Trashy as you wanna be.

View Profile of gustw Send a personal message to gustw  Email gustw Goto the website of gustw     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rustbeltcat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-20 11:15 am   Permalink

Ok I'm posting at risk of being heckled.
Who owns anything Von Dutch? Does it relate to a tiki group, maybe.
If you have it where did you get it?
Now here's my point, I love Von dutchs work, But am disgusted by some french idiot that bought the rights to the flying eye design and logo.
I get even more agitated when I see little girls in lowrider jeans cruzin around in it at the mall giggling how "Elvis" just walked by.
You've got yer own design, you offered it to people who you thought would appreciate it, and what good self promoter wouldnt, most of all ITS YOURS, your idea, design and all.
Who cares whats in or out. If it mattered why are people on this list?
Why is there this list?
The whole Tiki thing died out years ago, There are few if any big Tiki Resturaunts going up, and if they are they are not what they used to be. So to the masses of people out there, we (Tikiphiles) are not "IN".
We are into what we are because we love it, not matter what area it is.
sorry for rambling, thanks for reading
Jay

View Profile of rustbeltcat Send a personal message to rustbeltcat  Email rustbeltcat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-20 11:18 am   Permalink

Well to end on a good note, gustw did post in the correct forum! Welcome aboard!

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-20 11:32 am   Permalink

Gustw~

First, welcome to Tiki Central.

A bit of information that you may not have known (unless you were a long-time reader of this site), is that in the past TC has been hit with LOTS of individuals that come on to sell their tiki-related items. Most of the time these past seller/posters that came on the board just end up fading away (no pun intended).

Looking at your hat, I would say that the quality of the stitching really does look like it is made very well, with lots of detail and tight stitching. The message on the hat, though, may not be as well accepted as you would like it to be. Why? Well, first, most of members on this board would probably like to associate "tiki" in a more positive light rather than to wear or buy something that says "Tiki Trash" (even though you said it was an homage to Shag). Second, there has been talk on this board as to whether people like or dislike smoking, with opposition to it from people that have lost loved ones or are currently caring for loved ones with failing health as a result from smoking. This is a whole other discussion, but my point is that even if someone did like Tiki, they may not like wearing something with a cigarette on it. (I myself am an occasional cigar smoker). Third, there may be some people that are not fans of mesh hats, thanks to Ashton Kutcher.

I can understand and appreciate your wanting to sell your hats and make a whole load-o-cash. Who wouldn't? Unfortunately, TC may not end up being a cash cow for these hats. I also took a look at the past history of the sales of your Tiki Trash hats on ebay. Since December 14th to present, out of 13 hats being sold, only 1 sold for $8.99. The counter, where it shows how many people viewed your hat, was as high as 186 people. To date, that viewership has declined.

My point? Well, there may not be as many people that share (or understand) your view as this being a "trashy homage" to Shag. Maybe try redesigning a new image that would appeal to the majority, rather than the minority. After all, you have the resources (monogram tools, machines and hats), try something different and see what happens.

You said that you are not out to make a buck off of trends. Ok, but you are in business to make a buck, right? Well, since there are quite a few cocktail drinkers here online, how about a cool bar-cloth with a cool tiki design? Just a thought. This, of course, is my personal insight to this. I'm not much of a marketing expert.

I do hope that if you are a tiki enthusiast that you will stick around, either as an active member or lurker, and wish you the best of luck with future designs and sales.

SugarCaddyDaddy

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-20 11:55 am   Permalink

Nice points, SCD!

I'd LOVE some swank bar towels with embroidered martini glasses, or some nicely embroidered tikis. I personally just can't STAND gimme caps in ANY context, but especially with something I love on them!

Now Jimmy Buffett - he beLONGS on a gimme cap!

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gustw
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-01-20 12:24 pm   Permalink

Wow...my stupid hats getting a complete and total critique...you're right, I'm not marketing the right crowd...BUT probably the reason the tiki hats haven't sold like gangbusters is that most mesh hat buyers are 16 year olds scared of what people will think. They want something safe like a beer brand or Von Dutch...and maybe the general "tiki" crowd, in all its manifestations, wouldn't wear mesh on a bet. But, I thought I'd throw it out there, and at least it wasn't totally ignored.

As I look up at the "Tiki Central" blinking logo, and look down at the "Lotta Livin'" banner, with some consideration of what has been written here (exceptin' J. Dollar and a few), I can't help but think some people are taking things a little too seriously. Jimmy Buffett and plastic tiki mugs don't make for much intellectual discourse. Yes, the Maori culture is well worth conversation, but most of what I see is pretty kitschy...no?

My WHITE HOT TRASH design might offend rural folk, JIVE TURKEY could piss off african-americans for assimilating their slang dialect, and my JESUS IS MY HAIRDRESSER (a reaction to the JESUS IS MY HOMEBOY phenomenon) needs not be explained.

On another note...I am a fan of tiki, own a couple Shag prints, various tiki-related carvings, and I like Fleetwood Mac and Fugazi. I don't hate Ashton Kutcher, but I think Kid Rock sucks.

Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-20 1:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-01-20 12:24, gustw wrote:
...and maybe the general "tiki" crowd, in all its manifestations, wouldn't wear mesh on a bet.

I wore mesh on my bet once. Got a horrible sunburn!

YEE-OUCH!

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-20 1:19 pm   Permalink

Those mesh hats are all the rage in the fashionable Hoxton district of London where all the young media go-getters reside. Saying that, mullets were the last big craze down there...

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-20 1:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-01-20 12:24, gustw wrote:
Jimmy Buffett and plastic tiki mugs don't make for much intellectual discourse.

Wow. there it is in a nutshell.

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gustw
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-01-20 1:47 pm   Permalink

Man...I've sure stirred up Bond's Martini...lucky I discarded my "TWEAKY TIKI" idea with sunken stone cheeks and bloodshot eyes! (okay, I never really considered that... cuz I didn't want to insult people who know other people suffering from Meth addiction)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation