FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Which Martin Denny to buy?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Which Martin Denny to buy?
liabungalo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-21 07:49 am   Permalink

I want to buy a somewhat well-rounded Martin Denny collection, but I'm unsure of which one to purchase. According to Allmusic.com, the best one is the 20-track "Exotica: The Best of Martin Denny" on Rhino records. However, amazon.com has a sweet double disc set called "The Exotic Sounds of Martin Denny."

Which one should I buy or should I start somewhere else?

-g-

View Profile of liabungalo Send a personal message to liabungalo  Email liabungalo Goto the website of liabungalo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-21 07:57 am   Permalink

"The Exotic Sounds of Martin Denny" is great!
It contains tracks from different albums including the Exotica album. Start with that, then buy the rest after you are completely hooked on the music.

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-21 08:07 am   Permalink

My favorite is Hypnotique
Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki mick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-21 09:44 am   Permalink

The exotic sounds of!!!

View Profile of tiki mick Send a personal message to tiki mick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-21 11:36 am   Permalink

Quiet Village is a classic too, I get that tune stuck in my head all the time!

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegasvic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-21 12:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-01-21 07:57, susane wrote:
It contains tracks from different albums including the Exotica album. Start with that, then buy the rest after you are completely hooked on the music.

This is what I would also recommend. I started with ESOMD, moved on to his other CDs, and eventually collected the rest on vinyl -- but that's probably a little to complusive/obsessive for most people (did I just say that in a tiki freak forum?).

View Profile of vegasvic Send a personal message to vegasvic  Email vegasvic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-21 4:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I got this for Christmas and love it. Its over 2 hrs of music and has a neat little booklet with some history. Were I to change anything about it, I'd re-arrange the tracks into chronological order, but you could do that by burning your own CDs. Amazon has it in a combo discount deal with Arthur Lyman's Taboo but since the discount is taken off the list price, both are marked down anyway and the Denny CD costs enough to activate free shipping, you don't really save anything.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-21 4:29 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chairman Moai

Posted: 2004-01-22 12:25 pm   Permalink

Buy all of the them -- the reissues of the original LPs, starting with "Forbidden Island" and "Exotica Vol.1/2." The compilations leave off a lot of great tracks.

View Profile of Chairman Moai Send a personal message to Chairman Moai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-23 01:03 am   Permalink

HYPNOTIQUE

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mganga
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-01-23 12:39 pm   Permalink

Exotic Sounds of Martin Denny is great...

if you want specific albums, go for Hypnotique and Primitiva.

You _do_ have "The Exotic Moods of Les Baxter", right? He's the alpha of exotic music.

View Profile of Mganga Send a personal message to Mganga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-24 04:28 am   Permalink

Quote:
You _do_ have "The Exotic Moods of Les Baxter", right? He's the alpha of exotic music.

And where would we obtain this? I do recall that a couple months back it was scarce and expensive. Has something changed (I hope)?

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-24 04:56 am   Permalink

I just looked up the Exotic Moods of Les Baxter on Amazon - used starting at $129; new for $199. There are 17 other selections listed for him including a new one called Primitive & Passionate by the Les Baxter Balladeers (his group?) scheduled to be released March 23, 2004. It pre-orders for $13.98 but no tracks are listed.

Mganga
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-01-24 5:32 pm   Permalink

"Exotic Moods" is out of print, but I'm sure one will turn up on Ebay sometime. It's _well_ worth locating if you don't have the original LPs. I would skip the CDs you mentioned and track down Tamboo on CD if you can find it. My favorite Les Baxter LPs are Ritual of the Savage and Tamboo. Not sure if the previous one was put on CD in total.

View Profile of Mganga Send a personal message to Mganga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mganga
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-01-24 5:34 pm   Permalink

I just checked Ebay. Two copies sold within the past two weeks for around $50 each. Even at that price it's still worth it. Trust me on this.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation