FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Which Martin Denny to buy?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Which Martin Denny to buy?
SwingingTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-01-24 7:22 pm   Permalink

I found both "Quiet Village" and "A Taste of Honey" on LP at a records resale shop for about 5 bucks apiece. They were in very good to excellent condition, and I'm very happy with them. I say if you want to get a true taste of Martin, start with the Rhino compilation, but then start at the beginning, and on record if at all possible. It really lets the music glow. Just my twopence!

[ This Message was edited by: SwingingTiki on 2004-01-24 19:23 ]

View Profile of SwingingTiki Send a personal message to SwingingTiki  Email SwingingTiki ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-25 09:28 am   Permalink

BTW does anyone know what the name of the last LP Denny put out? The latest one I have is from some hotel in Maui and has a strange improvision of Tiny Bubbles on it. I wonder if he made any other experiments along this vein since at the time exotic was losing popularity and he was trying a new angle.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-25 6:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-01-25 09:28, naugatiki wrote:
BTW does anyone know what the name of the last LP Denny put out? The latest one I have is from some hotel in Maui and has a strange improvision of Tiny Bubbles on it. I wonder if he made any other experiments along this vein since at the time exotic was losing popularity and he was trying a new angle.

Martin Denny's last album, at least on vinyl, was "The Enchanted Isle" released on Liberty in 1982. This came out 2 years after "From Maui With Love" which contains the Tiny Bubbles song mentioned above. Of course Martin went on to release another original release on CD with "Exotica 90" released over in Japan. This album is highly recommended because it was the last time Martin Denny was reunited with all his old friends including Arthur Lyman. Hope this helps!

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mganga
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-01-26 9:25 pm   Permalink

I realize that the exotic music scene has quieted down from the hey day of 1995-1999, but it's unbelievable how few releases are actually in print. It's criminal that "Exotic Moods of Les Baxter" is no longer produced. That music should NEVER go out of print. Les Baxter is a ridiculously underrated composer. Many of his best albums have never been produced on CD legitimately, including "Ritual of the Savage", "Sacred Idol", "Jungle Jazz", "African Jazz", etc. If you haven't heard this material, you owe yourself...

View Profile of Mganga Send a personal message to Mganga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-27 7:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-01-24 19:22, SwingingTiki wrote:
I found both "Quiet Village" and "A Taste of Honey" on LP at a records resale shop for about 5 bucks apiece.

I just picked up "EXOTICA" today on LP at a local resale store for 5 bucks! Is this the fair market price for old Martin Denny records nowadays? My copy's on the Liberty label, dated 1956 and in "spectra-sonic-sound" hi-fidelity...don't know too much about this ancient recording technique, but it sounds great.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-28 09:31 am   Permalink

The first time I picked up a copy of Exotia it was a error pressing and the record company mistakenly printing side 2 twice so for a while I thought Quiet Village was Stone God until I heard the real version on a Denny compilation years later. I still have it.

Waikikian Hotel Tiki Gardens
http://members.tripod.com/gregg-n/waikikian_tiki_gardens.htm

[ This Message was edited by: naugatiki on 2004-01-28 09:32 ]

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rupe33
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-06 11:21 am   Permalink

Does anyone have "From Maui With Love"? Can you share any thoughts? Am curious to hear his piano version of "Quiet Village."

Cheers,
Rupe

View Profile of rupe33 Send a personal message to rupe33  Goto the website of rupe33     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-06 12:10 pm   Permalink

I only have the CD releases, but it would be peachy if some industrious TC'er could post the albums in order with the album covers. Yes, I would like that very much, thank you. If they really had time to kill they could list the tracks for each album too.

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-06 4:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-06 11:21, rupe33 wrote:
Does anyone have "From Maui With Love"? Can you share any thoughts? Am curious to hear his piano version of "Quiet Village."

Cheers,
Rupe

This is simply a beautiful album that I can't recommend enough. It is an album of solo piano works but they are stunning! Plus six of the tracks are originals!!! Definitely belongs in any Martin Denny collection!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-06 4:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-06 12:10, spy-tiki wrote:
I only have the CD releases, but it would be peachy if some industrious TC'er could post the albums in order with the album covers. Yes, I would like that very much, thank you. If they really had time to kill they could list the tracks for each album too.

You'll have to wait for the "Book of Exotica" for all this and more!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-06 5:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-06 11:21, rupe33 wrote:

Cheers,
Rupe

This one is on my short list to rip and share. It hasn't been released on CD has it? If it has then I won't post it.

Here's my other rips:
http://konotiki.blogspot.com/

I'll move "From Maui With Love" up the list and do it in the next couple of weeks if you want.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rupe33
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-06 8:20 pm   Permalink

Wow, that'd be very cool to hear a rip... I've been buying what vinyl I can find, but this title I only recently came across.

cheers,
Rupe

View Profile of rupe33 Send a personal message to rupe33  Goto the website of rupe33     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
javabachelor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-07 1:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-01-21 12:43, vegasvic wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-01-21 07:57, susane wrote:
"The Exotic Sounds of Martin Denny" is great!
It contains tracks from different albums including the Exotica album. Start with that, then buy the rest after you are completely hooked on the music.

This is what I would also recommend. I started with ESOMD, moved on to his other CDs, and eventually collected the rest on vinyl -- but that's probably a little to complusive/obsessive for most people (did I just say that in a tiki freak forum?).

LOL. You're not alone, Vic. I did the same thing. There's nothing like seeing those Sandy Warner/Martin Denny albums full size! I save the CD's for my radio show...but the vinyl, I display them as art on my walls.

View Profile of javabachelor Send a personal message to javabachelor  Email javabachelor Goto the website of javabachelor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-07 3:29 pm   Permalink

For something altogether different, track down "Exotic Moog" from Denny! Came out in '69 and features versions of Quiet Village & A Taste Of Honey to name a couple. Depending on your taste it could be anything from hilarious to horrifying... Personally, I'm still up in the air over this one. Not a big fan of moog...

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-07 10:36 pm   Permalink

"Exotic Percussion." My God, that record gives me the chills. "Miserlou" makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up--before I even drop the needle. If I put that record on and sink down into an easy chair with a good drink, it's absolute bliss.

Seriously, the perfect storm: if I were in the Mai Kai bar, drinking the best drink they ever made (maybe a Shark Bite or a 151 Swizzle), and Martin Denny's "Miserlou" came on I would have a fatal aneurism right then and there and I would be damn grateful to go out in such pure ecstasy.

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation