FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Weave your own fishing float net!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Weave your own fishing float net!
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-23 2:00 pm   Permalink

http://www.olypen.com/elgato/ballnets.htm

I've been trying to think of alternatives to the genuine thing...like cheap toy balls...or paper mache around a baloon...

This method seems kind of expensive, especially since you'd need 180' - 200' of rope to do a 14" ball!

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? Just curious!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-26 12:39 pm   Permalink

That's pretty thick looking rope. I don't think you would need it that heavy if you used it for lightweight items. Also, could skip doing as many knots which would use less string. Sounds like a lot but it really isn't when you look at the amount in a roll of twine.

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-26 1:08 pm   Permalink

hi susane, I agree that it seems like way too much, and how many people have seen 14" floats? That's pretty big! My fiance is in the navy and it looks like he's going to be able to hook me up with the rope I need...I'll post pics when I've done my first one! (might be a tiny 5" er for practise)

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-26 1:17 pm   Permalink

I used to make macrame belts and planthangers to sell way back in the early 70's so I've got a lot of books on knots if you want more patterns.

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-26 1:26 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-26 1:29 pm   Permalink

I tried making my own net last night. It was looking real good but I ran out of rope. It's amazing how much you need.
I tried it on a small 6 inch float. I plan on going out later and getting more rope and trying it again later. If it turns out I'll post a pic.

www.flounderart.com

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-26 3:32 pm   Permalink

I've got an old knot book of my uncle's(former brigadier general and knot finatic) but haven't found that particular one yet.

Unga, nice book! The auctions around here have 20-40 floats going to local antique dealers(haven't had the chance to snag myself one yet), I'm so amazed at the variety.

Flounder, how much rope did you unsucessfully use with that little one? I guess you could figure it out...200' for, say, 15", 67' for 5"? I guess you'd need 12 equal lengths of...what...5'...ending up as 2.5' sticking out all the way around? Ok, so math isn't my thing... does this sound about right? Maybe more? It would get pretty expensive fooling around with long lengths of rope cut into so many pieces! I'd love to see what you've done so far!

Great Minds Drink Alike

FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-26 4:07 pm   Permalink

I knew the rope would be to short. It was more of an experiment than anything.

I'll post a pic when I get around to trying it fo real.

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-26 5:48 pm   Permalink

That's pretty cool...I've been trying to figure out te secret to that for years! I have some colored glass ball shades that will easily pass for floats with the proper netting and can be easily lit inside (a 2 inch hole already there)...On the rope lenghth, I believe it-I had to go back to the hardware store three times to get enough rope to lash the moso beams on the KTPR ceiling. Ended up using 400+ feet of manila and jute!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-26 6:24 pm   Permalink

This could be a very helpful experiment. I've been wondering what are the most commonly used "Not Real Glass Fishing Floats but Things that Look Like Them, or Give the Feel of Them, Kind Of…" items. The Colored Balls hanging from the ceiling at Trader Vics are not Fishing Floats but give off an awesome vibe all the same. And they put out a Frosted Glow! And they're HUGE! Constructing a net for those suckers would have to be a real job.
Also... I recall reading here something someone once posted in a forum concerning the Kon Tiki Paradise Room congratulating BK on the authenticity of his Balls (or Floats, as the case may be). Are there certain kinds of rope that should be avoided?

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-27 02:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-01-26 18:24, Traitor Vic wrote:
congratulating BK on the authenticity of his Balls

Hahahah!!! Good one!

I think those transparent plastic toy balls seem ideal for this. I'll have to dig up my old netmaking books now for instructions.

atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-01-27 06:08 am   Permalink

insted of rope you could just use old net, and knit the side together then bring the bottom together on a ring, it would have a obvious seam but you could disguise it.

my dad tried to teach me all these net knitting skills as a kid but only in a work context rather than a cocktails and home decor style.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Philot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-20 8:03 pm   Permalink

I just ran across another source that might be of interest. batjak ltd.
It looks like they might have things for sale or take commissions.

They have a page with a nice pictorial depiction of the familiar netting.

But the one that caught my eye was the instructions for tying a rib-hitched ball net. That pattern was new to me. Has anyone else seen one like that before? Has anyone tried tying one up?

[ This Message was edited by: Philot 2012-04-23 18:50 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Philot 2012-04-23 18:51 ]

View Profile of Philot Send a personal message to Philot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Greg_D_R
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-04-23 10:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-20 20:03, Philot wrote:
I just ran across another source that might be of interest. batjak ltd.
It looks like they might have things for sale or take commissions.

They have a page with a nice pictorial depiction of the familiar netting.

But the one that caught my eye was the instructions for tying a rib-hitched ball net. That pattern was new to me. Has anyone else seen one like that before? Has anyone tried tying one up?

Let me give you a little help with those links:
familiar netting rib-hitched ball net

Cool stuff. Does anyone have a link to a reasonably priced ball/float substitute that can be found in the year of our lord 2012?

View Profile of Greg_D_R Send a personal message to Greg_D_R      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Philot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-23 7:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Cool stuff. Does anyone have a link to a reasonably priced ball/float substitute that can be found in the year of our lord 2012?

Depends on what you want to do with it.
I used a glass fish-bowl and some craft store glass paint to make a reasonable facsimile of glass float lamp with a puffer fish inside. Being a fish bowl, a good portion of the top is sliced off, but if you hang it high, it's not too noticeable. Cheap and relatively easy.

View Profile of Philot Send a personal message to Philot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation