FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts More home made lighting
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
More home made lighting
Eleio the fleet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-10 09:03 am   Permalink

Aloha everyone!

Though the existing photos for this thread are no longer available, I just wanted to thank everyone for having participated in this discussion and sharing your work.

Going by the photos and everyone else's input, I got up the guts to create my own.

I'm in Denver, so my access to Tapa (especially within my price range) was very limited for this project. Therefore, the closest "tribal" cloth pattern I could find at the time, was African. Having learned a great deal from this project, I plan to make another using tapa and the woven cording.

Anyway, here's a picture of my work.

So you are aware, this light is portable, meaning that it's not set up with an electric light fixture. I chose to do this because I'm not confident in my wiring skills and keeping the lighting battery powered means that I can set up the lamp almost anywhere. The light derives from a dissected set of those color changing tiki head party lights. The battery pack lasts about three hours, but there is also an electric plug in, if needed.

If memory serves, the lamp is 5 feet long. 20 inches in the center and 16 on the ends.

View Profile of Eleio the fleet Send a personal message to Eleio the fleet      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-10 11:00 am   Permalink

Nice job Eleio.
Glad to see that the efforts from others is still rubbing off here.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-11 05:46 am   Permalink

Wired or not, you have created an Excellent light and Portable is Great!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Eleio the fleet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-11 07:43 am   Permalink

Thank you both for the kind words.

Mahalo

View Profile of Eleio the fleet Send a personal message to Eleio the fleet      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-03 04:25 am   Permalink

Bumpity! Boy, it sure would be great if people could fix their broken links of pics from their Shutterfly accounts! I'm sure there are so many great pics on this thread, and they're all gone! Being that I have made a lamp too, at Monkeyman's lamp class, I'd love to see everyone else's work. Any takers on reposting their pics? It would be a simple matter of uploading those photos from Shutterfly to Tiki Central's server, and then they will never disappear! Anyone?

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-23 01:47 am   Permalink

Giant bump because I didn't know where else to put this without creating a new thread, but here is my lighting experiment. Not a light fixture but something anyone could do with lighting, on the cheap, with what I think are great results. See experiment photo below.

Lately I've been partial to cobalt blue glass, so I have start to accumulate them at little or no cost, from neighbors 5 cent garage sales to park trash bins. After cleaning the bottles up and putting them in front of my window, I noticed the sun light through them was gorgeous. So thought of duplicating that at night. After a couple of trials, with under-the-counter LED and mini fluorescents, I came up with two linked mini fluorescents, low behind the bottles. Changing the warm bulbs with cool bluer ones. A battery powered LED tube bar in behind the small jars of the top small shelf. Of course green, red or amber glass bottles will have similar effects. An indirect bonus effect from this same experiment was that my wood tiki and warm painted wall which are behind the blue glass bottles, retains the warmer light source while anything in front of the blue bottles reflex's the cool blue light of the bottles. The mixed temperature lighting turns out to be pretty cool. One can do their own thing with placement of their own glass bottles, lights and objects to be lit, for all kinds of results. Have fun with it.

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2014-07-23 01:51 ]

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation