FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Does anyone know anything about the Zamboanga?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Does anyone know anything about the Zamboanga?
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-05 07:51 am   Permalink

I saw this on Mike's Tiki Room website a while back and the interior of the place gave me a '49 Woody! I guess I have a thing for 40's nightclubs, and it's now my screen saver. BUT I can't find ANY info on the net about this place. I bid on a menu that I believe came from there, but I guess someone has more money (and less sense) than I do this week!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2221740907&category=1437&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBBI%3AIT&rd=1

BTW Zamboanga Is a city in the area of Mindinao, Philippines that is harrassed regularly by the Abu Sayyaf Maybe it just sounded romantic to the owner OR maybe they were Philippino?

View Profile of Rattiki Send a personal message to Rattiki  Email Rattiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Monitors
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-05 11:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

BTW Zamboanga Is a city in the area of Mindinao, Philippines that is harrassed regularly by the Abu Sayyaf Maybe it just sounded romantic to the owner OR maybe they were Philippino?

The Abu Sayyaf problem and NPA (communist separatists) are recent problems (circa 1970s), but I heard that it is beautiful there.

View Profile of The Monitors Send a personal message to The Monitors  Email The Monitors     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-05 12:21 pm   Permalink

Rattiki - That menu that was just auctioned off was definitely from the same place. Here's the picture:

I'm an avid collector of all things having to do with the Zamboanga, but don't know much about the actual club myself. I'd love to know some of the history, since it was a local joint. I have that menu, several postcards, a napkin and a matchbook. Here's one of the postcards, showing one of the most beautiful murals I've ever seen. (Wish I could see it in color).

The Zamboanga obviously was not a place for children or the prudish.

As early as 1935, there was a book entitled "The Monkeys Have No Tails in Zamboanga", by Capt. S.P. Meek. It was about American soldiers who were stationed in the Far-east at that time. The joke in the book was that if you cut off a monkey's tail, it could pass for a Filipino. (Remember, this was a very racially insensitive era).

Either at that time, or even possibly during WWII, U.S. sailors stationed in the Phillipines made up this little ditty:

"Oh, the monkeys have no tails in Zam-bo-an-ga
Oh, the monkeys have no tails in Zam-bo-an-ga
Oh, the monkeys have no tails, they were bitten off by whales,
Oh, the monkeys have no tails in Zam-bo-an-ga"

I've heard John Wayne sing it in the movie, "Donovan's Reef". I've also heard the Beav' sing it in an episode of "Leave it to Beaver".

Thus the name of the club and it's signature drink, "The Tailess Monkey". (or so I assume). Which probably meant the club was built during or just after the war. I have no idea how long it lasted - the fact that there seem to be no color images leads me to believe it either didn't last long, or became more of a dive-bar in the later years. Like I said, I'm interested in any history of this Hollywood club.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-05 12:38 pm   Permalink

If someone cares to unearth it, there is a thread on this board about this place, and the song "The monkeys have no tails in Zamboanga" where the Zamboanga's house cocktail, "The Tailess Monkey" took it's name from...
Wait, I just found where I posted that info:

"Great postcard! I don't know anything about the club itself, but Zamboanga is a city in the Phillipines, and the "Home of the Tail-less Monkeys" thing is a reference to an old song called "The Monkeys Have No Tails in Zamboanga." The song dates back to the turn of the century, I believe, but it was popular with American army/marine troops in the Pacific during WWII. For movie fans, it's the song playing on Lee Marvin's broken Victrola in DONOVAN'S REEF. Words and music can be found at:
http://sniff.numachi.com/~rickheit/dtrad/lookup.cgi?ti=ZAMBANGA&tt=ZAMBANGA."

Don't know if that link is still active.

Joe Chastek, owner of the Zamboanga, later opened "The Vagabond's House" on Sunset Blvd, named after Don Blanding's famous poem.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-05 12:43 pm   Permalink

Joe Chastek obviously had an eye for quality. The ephemera from Vagabond House are also some of the most beautiful items in my collection. Thanks for making the connection for me, Bigbro.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-05 4:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

The Abu Sayyaf problem and NPA (communist separatists) are recent problems (circa 1970s), but I heard that it is beautiful there.

Well they may be new names or ideologizes but there has a been a separtist problem in the Sula - Mindanoa region since before the Spanish and American War's US take over of the P.I. The 45 automatic was reputed to have been developed and issued as the officers sidearm as a way to stop the charging Moro.

View Profile of Rattiki Send a personal message to Rattiki  Email Rattiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-05 5:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-02-05 12:21, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
Thus the name of the club and it's signature drink, "The Tailess Monkey". (or so I assume). Which probably meant the club was built during or just after the war. I have no idea how long it lasted - the fact that there seem to be no color images leads me to believe it either didn't last long, or became more of a dive-bar in the later years. Like I said, I'm interested in any history of this Hollywood club.

Sabu

Kewl info and postcards Sabu but your conclusion that the club was built during or just after the war may not be necessarily so as we held the Philippines as a territory from 1898 until 1946. Though that menu's copyright IS from 1943 and the photos have the look of no later than the 40's. I guess what I am speculating is that the club could have even been from the 20's or 30's, since it looks more like a nightclub (stage and all) then just a Polypop Tiki Bar. A matter of fact I see NO signs of post Trader Vic's Polypop or Tikis at all!

[ This Message was edited by: Rattiki on 2004-02-05 17:07 ]

SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-05 5:17 pm   Permalink

The mural in the first photo of the dining room looks like caricatures. Got a better view of that one? Maybe it would clue more to the time frame with the faces they used.

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-05 5:45 pm   Permalink

According to the dateline on the "Evolution Of Polynesian Pop" chart put together by the learned, everything PRE-1950 can be considered pre-Tiki, so it is fitting that there would be no Tikis in an early 40s tropical bar (especially since it was not Polynesian themed).

quote:
".... The joke in the book was that if you cut off a monkey's tail, it could pass for a Filipino."

HA HA HA, that is so funny!!!...I remember back in the 40s me and good ole Herman (Goehring) slapping our knees over that one ("That's what Adolf always sez. Ze Amerikanz are such a wize guise!")

HA Ha...ha.Gecko? GECKO!? You're not laughing..?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-05 7:18 pm   Permalink

I blew it up on my photo shop and it is quite blurry, but from what I can make out there is Bogey, Garbo, Groucho and maybe Sid Ceasar. That would be reflective of the 30's and 40's.

Personally I am curious as to what kind of entertainment they had and when and why it closed. I think you're right Sabu, it must have gone under a long time ago, maybe even before the actual 50's-60's Polypop craze.

Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-06 06:23 am   Permalink

To get an idea of what Zamboanga in the Philippines is REALLY like have a look at this So much for the Hollywood fantasy!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2223072251&category=20264

Iolani
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-02-06 07:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-02-05 12:21, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
The joke in the book was that if you cut off a monkey's tail, it could pass for a Filipino. (Remember, this was a very racially insensitive era).

Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick, that's awful. Also absurd. Pinoys can't look like tailess monkeys; I can't grow a moustache, let alone hair anywhere else on my body.

View Profile of Iolani Send a personal message to Iolani      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-06 08:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-02-05 17:45, bigbrotiki wrote:
quote:
".... The joke in the book was that if you cut off a monkey's tail, it could pass for a Filipino."

HA HA HA, that is so funny!!!...I remember back in the 40s me and good ole Herman (Goehring) slapping our knees over that one ("That's what Adolf always sez. Ze Amerikanz are such a wize guise!")

HA Ha...ha.Gecko? GECKO!? You're not laughing..?

I'm not laughing either.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-06 12:36 pm   Permalink

I know, that's about as bad as racism can get, right up there with the race theories of the Nazis (which I was hinting at). I just wanted to crank the "ouch" effect up a notch.

Remember, we are all making fun of the naivitee of mid century racist stereotyping with Tiki. This joke is an example of really crossing the line.

More on this in my reply on the "Dodge Kahuna" thread.

Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-06 3:02 pm   Permalink

Reminds me of a song my Dad taught me as a kid:

"OHHHH, the Monkey wrapped his tail around the Flagpole, to see his A$$hole!"

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation