FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Does anyone know anything about the Zamboanga?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Does anyone know anything about the Zamboanga?
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-07 6:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-02-06 12:36, bigbrotiki wrote:
I know, that's about as bad as racism can get, right up there with the race theories of the Nazis (which I was hinting at). I just wanted to crank the "ouch" effect up a notch.

Remember, we are all making fun of the naivitee of mid century racist stereotyping with Tiki. This joke is an example of really crossing the line.

More on this in my reply on the "Dodge Kahuna" thread.

Of course if you have spent any time in Thailand, Japan or China* (if not elsewhere in Asia and the rest of the 2nd, 3rd & 4th world) you would know that such racism STILL exists towards Westerners and other Asians regularly to this day.

Bat-chi-gai means white chicken, a Chinese dish and a slur for Whites. There are worse examples, especially in Japan.

View Profile of Rattiki Send a personal message to Rattiki  Email Rattiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-09 2:16 pm   Permalink

I asked Jim Heimann, he believes the Zamboanga existed from the late 30s to the early 50s, but he will substantiate this by looking it up in his archives.
He said the building is still there on Slauson and houses the American Legion now.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-10 3:26 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-10 13:52 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-12 05:47 am   Permalink

Thanks bigbrotiki that is some kewl info!

And now some preview pix of my Tiki Coupe' which is ALMOST finished and I will do a full spread on ASAP

Like I said, these are kind of old and I have done a LOT more as you will see soon!

[ This Message was edited by: Rattiki on 2004-02-12 05:50 ]

View Profile of Rattiki Send a personal message to Rattiki  Email Rattiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-13 07:23 am   Permalink

The plot thickens, look at this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3386216556&category=18824

Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-01 07:30 am   Permalink

And it thickens again, an e-mail I recieved today as follows:

>From: "Baron Maurer"
>Subject: Zamboanga
>Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:45:56 -0700
>
>Hi There,
>
>I was just surfing around to see what kind of things might be out there on my Late Grandpa Joe Chastek and I came upon the Tiki Forum. I have quite a few items from both the Zamboanga and Vagabond's House. I think I have 1 of the original menus from the Zamboanga. I also have some matches from Vagabond's House that the matches themselves are figures of naked women with the match head obviously the head of the woman (like nothing I've ever seen before). My Grandfather was always into Naked Polynesian Women. I'm also looking at one of the ceramic tailless monkeys that I have right here in my office. Drop me a line and I'll see if I can't help you out. I'll dig through what I have and let you know.
>
>Baron
>
>
>
>Baron Maurer
>
>Draper, UT 84020

I with held the address and phone numbers that came with the e-mail.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-01 09:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-01 07:30, Rattiki wrote:
>From: "Baron Maurer"
I also have some matches from Vagabond's House that the matches themselves are figures of naked women with the match head obviously the head of the woman (like nothing I've ever seen before). My Grandfather was always into Naked Polynesian Women.

How great, I love it when actual relatives of Poly pop proprietors come out of the woodwork. The best thing that can happen to an urban archeologist!

Those matches will be in my upcoming book, as an illustration of how Poly pop changed from the Wahine imagery of the 30s/40s to the Tiki icon in the 50s/60s, for which I have a matchbook where every match has a Tiki on it instead.

Tiki Modern will also have that nude mural postcard, and the great monkey back bar mural from the Zamboanga in it. Jim Heimann has a whole slew of paper ephemera on that place...and it actually DID call itself a "Polynesian Paradise" on some of them.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bifcozz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-11-01 11:55 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: bifcozz 2007-02-09 21:39 ]

View Profile of bifcozz Send a personal message to bifcozz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-01 5:48 pm   Permalink

I wrote him back saying he should post here along with some pix of the things he has and and that I was posting his e-mail to me and he replied:

Right on Carl! Thanks for throwing that on there. I'll have to register on tikicentral and post some photos. My Grandfather and I were pretty close, it was hard to see him go. He did live a very full life indeed though. I believe he was 86 when he died. Started out as a little skin cancer on his face and within a year that was it, had gone to his lungs etc. He was in the Navy and sailed the seven seas, probably no government paid sunscreen, lol, so it's amazing he didn't have problems earlier on. Thanks again!

Aloha,

Baron

PS. There was a story that my mother has told me about 1 of the restaurants having a large aquarium that had silver dollars lining the bottom of the tank with a sign on the front of the tank saying something like "take as many as you can." The catch was that the tank was filled with Piranha. That was Joe Chastek

Archipelago

Posted: 2006-11-02 9:16 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Those Post Cards are great! I found a drawing that Don Blanding drew on a piece of cardboard with a black felt pen. It looks like it is of a Maui Pier. On the front it says "To Jack - aloha always. Don Blanding. And on the back it says "To Rona & Joe Aloha Nui, I deed this to you, Jack. I'll have to ask my mom who Jack is, and I really don't know who Rona is either. I still have quite a bit of stuff to go through, so more to come. I'm working on the pics too. Have patience, I'm working on Island time, LOL.

View Profile of Archipelago Send a personal message to Archipelago  Email Archipelago     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-02 10:33 pm   Permalink

Hope this helps!

[ This Message was edited by: hiltiki 2006-11-02 22:40 ]

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-02 10:49 pm   Permalink

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-02 10:53 pm   Permalink

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-02 10:54 pm   Permalink

Archipelago

Posted: 2006-11-03 11:23 am   Permalink

Here are some pis of that ceramic monkey I was talking about.
Front say: ZAMBOANGA HOME OF THE TAILESS MONKEYS LOS ANGELES
Back says: "NO TAIL?" with an arrow pointing to where a tail would be. More to come.

View Profile of Archipelago Send a personal message to Archipelago  Email Archipelago     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation