[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Volcano Bowl Insert
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Volcano Bowl Insert
Cool Manchu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-08 10:25 pm   Permalink

Does anyone know how much the OMC Volcano Bowl ceramic inserts typically cost?

How rare are they?

Does anyone have one for trade?

View Profile of Cool Manchu Send a personal message to Cool Manchu  Email Cool Manchu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-10 11:10 am   Permalink

I've got one that I've had for awhile. I don't see them on ebay very often and can't remember what the last one sold for....probably not much more than $25.00 though. Keep your ebay search goin' and you'll get one eventually.

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cool Manchu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-10 8:24 pm   Permalink

Thank you very much. Do you know what they are offically called?

View Profile of Cool Manchu Send a personal message to Cool Manchu  Email Cool Manchu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-11 10:06 am   Permalink

Hmmm....good question. I don't think they have an official name. Anyone else....?

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-30 3:21 pm   Permalink

Hello everyone,
I need help in finding some of these volcano inserts for my wedding. Does anyone know of a resource for new ones or have a line on some old ones.
Thank you

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-30 4:28 pm   Permalink

great topic! if your not sure what these are they are on page 80 of tikiquest. i too have been looking quite a while for these.

tikifarm family~you guys should do a reissue of these things!

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-30 4:54 pm   Permalink

Curses! My Tiki Quest was swiped by a friend of mine who won't give it back, can someone post a pic?

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-01 1:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-30 16:54, Hale Tiki wrote:
Curses! My Tiki Quest was swiped by a friend of mine who won't give it back, can someone post a pic?

buy a new one!

I know I couldn't live without one now.

-Z

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-01 1:10 pm   Permalink

Lol. That's in between the $250 I've spent on Tiki Farm mugs, and the $100 order I just placed to Bosko. That's down there on my list, right after food, and repay my massive debt.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-11 9:59 pm   Permalink

Hey, would someone be willing to post pictures of one of these. I need to see the bottom to figure how they were made to keep the piece sanitary. i assume that the insert is glazed on the bottom, and how do they get around not having a small pressure release hole? I am trying to fit in my schedule the time to make a bunch of these to use at my wedding reception and this info would greatly help.
P.S. if i get these made in time for the reception i would greatfully send one of the inserts to those who helped with photos. Hell, If I do not make them in time for the reception, i still plan to make some anyways, and will send them to those who helped whenever I get around to making them.
Tanks
Thanks,
TT

[ This Message was edited by: tikitanked on 2005-02-12 09:32 ]

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-13 10:53 am   Permalink

hey tt,

here are photos of mine along with a scale for reference.

funny thing, until you mentioned the "hole" issue i hadn't looked that closely at it from the standpoint of manufacture. now it seems pretty facinating...

side and top...

bottom... if you look closly you can see a bit of distortion along the bottom right - filled in? odd...

also at the bottom outside, about a half inch up there is a very slight seam _under the glaze_... wtf?

i wish the photos could be sharper, i did the best i could. email or pm me if you want mo' info... good lux, j$

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-13 5:28 pm   Permalink

Thanks J$,
If I get these made I will send you one. I am surprised the foot is unglazed, this presents a sanitary issue since the insert sits in a bowl of drink. Realistically the alcohol probably kills the bacteria, but the bacteria is the issue. This is all by the book in means of safety, glazed surfaces (devoid of crazing) should not hold bacteria, but unglazed bisque can. Gives me stuff to go by, thanks again.
TT
P.s. If I make these, or when for that matter, the design will be different. J$, you will be able to use the one I make without worrying about the possibility of breaking an antique.

spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-13 6:02 pm   Permalink

I'm a little curious. I wonder about a hole as well. You're supposed to pour rum into the volcano and it burns. Cool. Does it just burn? (seems a bit of a waste) I suppose you could stick your straw in and suck it up (straw would melt, huh?), but with a hole it would fill with the drink in the bowl. Would that not be able to burn as well? Since it's probably mixed with fruit juice would you need to have a sugar cube or piece of bread or whatever to act as a wick?

Here's another question. Was this simply an accessory made to go with any bowl drink or did it come with a particular companys bowl?

And yet another...Does dry ice react with alcohol the way it reacts with water? Is it just a temperature thing? the smoke might be a neat effect as well.

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-13 6:51 pm   Permalink

Hey Tikitanked,

Looking at the photo's it's hard to say exactly, but I'm guessing the bottom is glazed. It's probably a clear or white glaze, but it does look glazed (the reflected light suggests this).

But J$ could answer that best. Johnny, does it feel glazed (slick and smooth) or just bisqued (rough and chalky) on the bottom (including the raised rim around the perimeter)?

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-13 7:01 pm   Permalink

Hey I Spy a Tiki,
The hole I was refering to is a pressure release hole, having nothing to do with the functionality of the insert. In ceramics if you pour up a piece where air is trapped inside, you need to put a vent hole in it somewhere or your piece will explode in the kiln.
Dry ice is not good to stick directly into the drink itself, the ice is not for consumption nor in its melted form. Some old scorpion bowls and some of the spanish ones had pockets on the side of the bowl to insert the dry ice and water for the fog effect.
The nice thing about the 151 flame, though maybe a waste of the alcohol itself, is that it emits a nice blue flame the width of the surface it is contained in. and yes, it will melt a straw very quickly.
As far as the maker, i am not sure. Judging by how rarely they come up on ebay, and having never seen one in a swap meet or thrift, I can only assume production was limited. They were made to convert a scorpion into a volcano.
J$, any word on the maker of your volcano insert?
Hopefully someone can shed more light on what polynesian palaces employed these or where they were originally purchased from.
Thanks,
TT

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation