FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Volcano Bowl Insert
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Volcano Bowl Insert
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-13 7:10 pm   Permalink

I'm just amazed that a Marylander was the one with this piece in their collection. Where the hell did you find that Johnny$?

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-14 12:43 pm   Permalink

tt: although the bottom rim is not as thickly glazed as the rest of it, slacks is right, it isn't the raw bisque. it's sealed with some sort of coating (it's got a sheen to it), but not thick enough to craze as it is crazed on the rest of the bottom and the sides. weird. but mega mahalos for the offer, i would be proud to own an official tikitanked volcano insert if/when you make them. re: maker of your volcano insert: there are absolutely no markings on mine. however, on page 80 of tikiquest duke sez OMC made them. perhaps his had a sticker.

johntiki: found it in hampden, hon. specifically, hampden junque. as to its provenance, no idear. i'm pretty sure i spent no more than $18 on it, in fact i think it was that. it's a bit more than my limit for a typical mug, but i had a feeling this one was warrented

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-14 11:31 pm   Permalink

J$,
Thanks again for the help. I am going to make these for sure, but the question is before the wedding or awhile after. i will let you know, and will send some to you.
I still am interested if anyone knows which places used them, and why. Since there were bowls with volcanos and those without, why use the insert. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this one.
TT

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-15 04:31 am   Permalink

The main reason I can think of for using the insert vs. a volcano bowl is for shelf space. If you use the insert in a regular scorpion bowl, then you need to store (and buy) fewer bowls. And I imagine the scorpion bowls were a bit cheaper than the volcano bowls, so if one broke, you'd pay less for replacement. All a matter of economics.

When life hands you limes... make Mai Tais!

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-15 8:59 pm   Permalink

The inserts were made by Otagiri, so I'm guessing they made them to allow restaurants to be able to server their bowls with fire or without.

The inserts hold a lot more liquid too- here's some photos of us at New Years using one of my inserts....and Isopropyl alcohol. It makes the best and highest flame of anything you can put in there. You'll probably finish the drink before the flame goes out

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-16 06:02 am   Permalink

ZAZZ pic tikihula!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-16 09:59 am   Permalink

Thanks. It was a great New Year's Eve party at the Dark Marq Room in TikiCleen and TheDrunkenHat's place.

That's the other cool thing about the inserts- they are so wide at the top that the flame dances around and splits into two flames and then goes back into one- VERY mesmerizing!

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cool Manchu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-02 4:59 pm   Permalink

So I found a place in the bay area that has three of these inserts for sale. They claim that they came from Tiki Bob's, but I have no way of proving that.

They want 24.95 for each one. Drop me an email and I will let you know where you can find them if you want one for that price.

View Profile of Cool Manchu Send a personal message to Cool Manchu  Email Cool Manchu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-05 12:37 pm   Permalink

Someone bought all of them at Time Tunnel, but the owner said she saw reproductions for sale at the La Luz gallery shop in LA.
http://www.laluzdejesus.com/index.html

Anyone want to check it out?

OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-05 12:42 pm   Permalink

Hey,
I was there two weeks ago and did not see those. I will go today or tommorow and check it out, will post back then.
TT

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-05 8:45 pm   Permalink

nothing at La Luz/Wacko, I looked and asked

TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-08 07:55 am   Permalink

Darn, thanks for checking. Holden...help!

MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-10 10:33 pm   Permalink

the piece is double glaze fired. glaze is up top fired and then inverted & stilted (if glazed first, no stilt marks) & brushed and then fired again as the top is now glazed, so no bisque foot showing in my humble opinion.
Alohaz,
Holden

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-12 08:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-14 23:31, tikitanked wrote:
I am going to make these for sure, but the question is before the wedding or awhile after. i will let you know, and will send some to you.

hey tt, whatever happened to this project? a random neuron misfired and i remembered this project.

Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-12 10:33 am   Permalink

I'm in need of a volcano insert, I'd love to know if you were successful with this project! Anyone else?
-Tw

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation