[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki Tour of San Pedro, CA
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Tiki Tour of San Pedro, CA
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-09-26 10:16 am   Permalink

Sorry about those picture links. (an old, cancelled Snapfish account). I've provided new links to those old photos. Sorry for the blurriness on some of them.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy

Posted: 2005-09-26 10:29 am   Permalink

I recently took a little field trip to Bamboo Ben's secret ancestral property and brought my camera:

Quote:

On 2004-02-12 23:38, RevBambooBen wrote:
There's a little place at the very end of Western Ave., now a county park on the map called Whites Point. Go to the right of the playground and pay the dude $5 and proceed down the hill. Wait!!! Stop the Car!!! Take a look straight ahead. See the palm trees? Remember that view.

Quote:

Ok, drive slowly down the hill. Park your car at the bottom. Now, walk towards the palms. You will pass a couple of pilings, hmmmmm, they look like they might have had gates attached at one time.

Quote:

Beyond the public bathrooms you see some sort of marble floor. And, to the right, built inside the hill slope, you see a couple of fire places.

Quote:

Then you keep walking north. You come across some "very old foundation slabs" along the coast. Oh wait! Go back to the marble floor. Look for a plaque in the middle. Read it. Ok, now you know. Back to the "very old slabs." This is where the house was. An old spanish fort converted into a house and halfway built with "Driftwood." Beyond the fireplaces rests the grounds of the work sheds where history took place back in the 40's. This coastal land was home to Eli Hedley, Malcom Hedley and their 4 daughters, one being my Mom. As you have now learned, the plaque is dedicated to the Hedley family. You are at "The Cove."

Quote:

The Hedley sisters talk story and this is how it goes.
"The Cove was a spot for many to eventually discover. As children it was our "playground by the sea." Our family was known as "The Beachcombing Hedleys." It was a happy time for us all. Not easy, as I came to distaste "potato soup," which we ate often. As time passed, Mama and Daddy were the hosts with the toasts. Movie stars as famous as Cary Grant would moor their boats off the rock and come ashore for a luau to remember. Sailors of the sea, some known and some silent, would gather. Raymond Burr often came to call for a hand to a high school prom. He fancied Marilyn, the second daughter. Nothing would come to be, but a long lasting friendship amongst us all.

Planning and preparing for a "happening" was busy yet careless. The tables would be set with lovely cloth, flowers placed and food simmering. Mama was a relaxed hostess. Nothing was too big for her, nor too small. Mama loved entertaining no matter who came to call. The same amount of graciousness went out to every visitor.

The times at The Cove slipped away when my sisters and I were in upper high school. However, the love we hold for these shores has never died. This is our home, our childhood, our past. Fond memories and "happenings" are in our hearts today and forever. Thank you Mama and Daddy."

Ba Hedley

I need a beer,
Bamboo Ben

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mancuso11

Posted: 2005-10-23 7:24 pm   Permalink

Hi everyone,
I'm new her and just wanted to thank you for posting some great shots of San Pedro. They made me home sick.

View Profile of mancuso11 Send a personal message to mancuso11      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-07 7:03 pm   Permalink

Here is a picture of a picture that Eli had framed with palm stems from the Cove. It is the " Beachcombing Hedleys" in front of their house that was made out of driftwood at White Point / Royal Palms / the Cove.
( My mom is the little blonde. In the book she is the Elf. You can catch her now once in a while down at La Conga in Pedro doing events and or at the Cove hanging out. She just moved back from up north

Hope you's enjoy.

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BryanDeanMartin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-11-07 10:34 pm   Permalink

Holy cow, what a blast from the past...my exwife used to work (probably still does) down at Ports O'Call...and I totally remember going down to Whites Point. I'd forgotten much of this....

Most of these areas aren't too far from where Marineland used to be. There used to be bunkers near there too used for defense during WWII.

And for D. Boon fans, he's buried over at Green Hills Memorial Park in Palos Verdes (with full name Dennes Dale Boon on the grave).

View Profile of BryanDeanMartin Send a personal message to BryanDeanMartin      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rohurley

Posted: 2006-07-17 09:13 am   Permalink

Sorry for bumping an old thread.... I got all excited after seeing the pics of the Royal Palms Tide Pools.

I was doing a google search researching Green Hills Memorial Park and ran across this thread. Man did this bring back some memories.

This combined with the Tiki motif made my day. Thanks for that!

[ This Message was edited by: rohurley 2006-07-17 09:13 ]

View Profile of rohurley Send a personal message to rohurley      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-19 6:09 pm   Permalink

Also sorry about bumping this old thread, but we've just moved our office/studios to San Pedro and I was searching for Tiki in the neighborhood.

I'll have to check out the cove and all when I get the chance, but I was also wondering what the nearest tiki bar options would be to San Pedro? Seeing as San Pedro doesn't seem to have one itself.

Thanks.

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac

Posted: 2006-10-19 7:45 pm   Permalink

Check your PM Premex!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-21 6:58 pm   Permalink

Those slit drums are very cool, the one on the left in the Disney slit drum pic is actually based on a New Caledonia door Jamb figure, then tricked out New Hebrides style with the slit.

ST

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation