FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food The future has finally arrived! Lazy Drinker is here!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
The future has finally arrived! Lazy Drinker is here!
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-11 6:25 pm   Permalink

Okay, so there's no way in heck it'll mix a drink nearly so lovely as our talented friends Martiki & Alnshely can, but for geeks like me, it sounds awfully danged keen!

The Lazy Drinker

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-11 6:32 pm   Permalink

That makes me sick! Technology is ruining all the arts, which mixing a good drink is. Laziness!!! Somewhere down the line we will probably be saying something like "I remember when I had to get off the couch to take a shit".
I'm drunk...

www.flounderart.com

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-11 6:47 pm   Permalink

Hey, you're right to be appalled, but I don't think we're running any risk of losing any mixology artisans due to this thing. It ain't computer animation or anything. If it were to ever enter the commercial arena, it would be adopted only by those bars that already are carelessly producing really crappy drinks anyway.

On the home front, it just sounds like a fun toy! If I could pair it up with a robot....

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-11 7:03 pm   Permalink

Sometimes I just want the drink...

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-11 7:09 pm   Permalink

If they keep the computer that near the drinks, I don't think that's a good mix.

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McDougall
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-11 7:11 pm   Permalink

I like your outrage Flounder. I used a simular more complex type of thing Bartending at a fancy South Beach bar one night, pretty cool. Those lines(that the liqour flows through) get really nasty real quick though. As lazy as I can be I can't ever seeing myself not enjoying mixing a cocktail, part of the enjoyment for me. My Roomate however is probobly on her way to buy one.

View Profile of McDougall Send a personal message to McDougall  Email McDougall Goto the website of McDougall     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-11 7:39 pm   Permalink

I had a dream for a bar where on the bartender side of the bar counter was a conveyor belt that was constantly moving. People would order drinks and the bartender would enter the drink into a computer, then wait a little bit and the drink would come out on the conveyor belt through a hole in the wall. The when the drink was in front of the person who ordered it, the bartender would pick it up off of the belt and simply hand it to patron.

The whole concept though was simply to have this obsurdly mechanical space-age bar where the "bartenders" pushed buttons all day and did no real work, like George Jetson.

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Baron
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-02-11 8:08 pm   Permalink

I don't need a lazy drinker computer.....I need a hard working computer to PAY for my drinks, that's the kind of technology I'm looking for. In reality I'm a little torn on this idea...because for the Tikiphiles such as ourselves, bars would be likely to serve a decent Fog Cutter with a computer than say your average 23 year old bartender.

Hmmmm the thought of ONE machine capable of playing exotic tunes, pouring the perfect Scorpion, and capable of complimenting me on my choice of Retro shirts is enticing. If it's also capable of baby-sitting and washing dishes.....I will be forced to embrace techonology!!!!

Although Hal from 2001 is also a scary thought as a bartender....

TB

View Profile of Tiki Baron Send a personal message to Tiki Baron      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-11 8:31 pm   Permalink

Here's my scenario.

All the crappy bartenders lose their jobs because "auto-souse" can mix a rum and coke and pour a bud light as well as any scab.

The sophisticate awakens in 30 percent of the bar patrons and they long for a real drink made with human touch.

They fuel a new wave of vintage bars.

I can finally get a freaking Mai Tai with orgeat and fresh mint in a bar.

I said FRESH mint!!

Bring on the friggin' robots.
I'll fly The Jab and Martiki and Jeff Berry in and start throwing some recipes at them that will leave them a smoldering tangle of syrupy circuitry... much like Flounder's mind.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-11 8:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-02-11 19:39, hanford_lemoore wrote:
I had a dream for a bar where on the bartender side of the bar counter was a conveyor belt that was constantly moving. People would order drinks and the bartender would enter the drink into a computer, then wait a little bit and the drink would come out on the conveyor belt through a hole in the wall. The when the drink was in front of the person who ordered it, the bartender would pick it up off of the belt and simply hand it to patron.

This kinda reminds me of Mai Kai in reverse!
Aome weird negative reality inversion....

You know, how the bartenders there are invisible, in the back room, and you order a drink and then it just shows up, like magic, in the server's hands...

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-12 05:49 am   Permalink

Will this thing sqeeze fresh lime?

What about all the other juices?

If you order lets say a Zombie, which of the 30 recipes would you get.

Also this thing would have to be a hell of a lot bigger than 32 bottles!
Trader Vic's Bartenders Guide list 61 liqueurs and a dozen rums. Then you need vodka, gin, and yes even tequila.

Oh yeah, will this thing be remote controlled? I would hate to have to get up to push the Zombie button.

www.flounderart.com

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-12 07:41 am   Permalink

Flounder,
Here's some code to help you out.

10 Make Zombie
20 GOTO 10
run

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-02-12 08:19 am   Permalink

The future is already here:

Full thread here:

http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic-new.php?topic=4221&forum=6

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-12 09:31 am   Permalink

Where the hell is my Flying Car and Moon City?!

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-02-12 09:58 am   Permalink

Now someone needs to develop the Lazy Puker so we don't have to mess with that either.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation