FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tiki's Fair Market Value?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Tiki's Fair Market Value?
greentikipat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-04 5:38 pm   Permalink

Yubaba's dilema seems to be the one reason i've found for using 'the rule'. inexperienced, would-be buyers. ignorance of time/skill level/etc sometimes needs a starting point for negotiations. even at half (rule)price on those five tikis, you'ld be looking at a worthy option.
this is a great and timeless topic.

View Profile of greentikipat Send a personal message to greentikipat  Email greentikipat Goto the website of greentikipat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-04 6:04 pm   Permalink

I haven't sold a piece yet, but hope to in the future. Most of the stuff I have done I have swapped for other tiki art and I have some awesome art in my collection. At this stage I view it as a hobby that will hopefully pay for itself. I'll give tikis to mates/family. You know the guys who always give you a hand with projects or to move or whatever. For other mates I will sell at cost of materials. For general sales I will make some profit. How much depends on the qaulity of the finished piece. Working that out to $/hour rate, well Im better off getting a weekend job packing shelves!

In Australia we can set up a "hobby business", which is perfect for stuff like what I intend to do. If you earn less than $60,000 a year its just the same as doing personal tax (businesses have to do regular tax reports on Goods & Services Tax - GST).

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-04 2:40 pm   Permalink

Bump. Some more interest into cost by TIKI DAVID.
I usually charge $80 per foot but I add $50 dollars per foot with detail. So a 2 foot tiki starts out at $160 but with detail it comes out to be $260. What would be detail is anything that isn't part of the design that doesn't make it a tiki. Plain face and headpiece would be no detail. Full torso, legs and arms = detail/per foot. Detailed headpiece would also be detail/per foot. I also add in a material cost for exotic woods. If the customer doesn't understand the difference between exotic wood and palm wood or pine the I just hang my head and sigh.... So if I have a 3ft tiki that had a full figure and fully detailed head piece that's $390. But if it's carved into a beautiful piece of exotic wood that I purchased for $120(including shipping) then it's going to be $510 and the cost of the wood is past onto the customer. Any new thoughts?

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation