[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Things that aren't tiki
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Things that aren't tiki
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-15 2:10 pm   Permalink

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I can't find the thread. Anyway, I thought it might be fun to have a thread where we can post pictures of items that well meaning friends have given us thinking they are tiki -- but aren't.

For instance, a friend brought this back from Eastern Europe (Latvia, I think):

It's carved wood. It seems to be an ashtray, but the indents are too big for cigarettes, so I think it may be meant for cigars (???)

blog

[ This Message was edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-09-17 23:26 ]

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-15 8:44 pm   Permalink

SDT:

I love the concept behind this post. Very funny. And I'll surmise once it's gets going, it will be a very informative and entertaining post as well.

-Slacks

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-16 07:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-02-15 14:10, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
I know this topic has been discussed before, but I can't find the thread. Anyway, I thought it might be fun to have a thread where we can post pictures of items that well meaning friends have given us thinking they are tiki -- but aren't.

For instance, a friend brought this back from Eastern Europe (Latvia, I think):
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4dc34b3127cceb8c5a7363fa60000001610[/img]

SDT: Just yesterday I saw almost exactly the same head figure, but three in a circle supporing a small bowl for cigarettes! my wahine pointed it out to me and i thought it was either eastern european or appalachian... thanks for the input

we have almost a lil running gag going when junk shopping now... she shows/hands me something and i go: "african/native american/american primitive/etc." ~ j$

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-16 11:26 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2004-02-16 07:45, Johnny Dollar wrote:
Quote:

we have almost a lil running gag going when junk shopping now... she shows/hands me something and i go: "african/native american/american primitive/etc."

I have a running gag going too. When I go thrift shopping with a friend I point to anything -- like a plastic Wyle E. Coyote mug -- and say "Tiki!"

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-17 08:31 am   Permalink

The UK's antique shops always seem to have stuff by Sylvac. Kind of looks like Tiki from the corner of your eye and has driven me nuts over the years:

This last one even seems to have a Tiki influence around the eyes.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-17 08:36 am   Permalink

Maybe the tiki influence was brought to the UK from Polynesia via "Mr & Mrs Brian Norris' Ford Popular".

*stop it! this thread is getting too silly!!!*

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vwtikigirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-17 6:23 pm   Permalink

I don't have it anymore because it "accidently" broke, but my friends bought me this lamp with a monkey and a palm tree on it and thought it would fit in perfectly with my decor. In order to avoid hurting their feelings it had to be destroyed.

View Profile of vwtikigirl Send a personal message to vwtikigirl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-18 02:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-02-17 18:23, vwtikigirl wrote:
I don't have it anymore because it "accidently" broke, but my friends bought me this lamp with a monkey and a palm tree on it and thought it would fit in perfectly with my decor. In order to avoid hurting their feelings it had to be destroyed.

Vwtikigirl - it wasn't white porcelain, was it? If so there's one that fits the bill in my local antique shop! I actually was quite tempted, despite it not really being Tiki. As it's all white, it has at least a vague tastefulness to it. Well, as much as a porcelain monkey lamp can be tasteful!

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vwtikigirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-18 09:22 am   Permalink

nope wasn't white porcelain. It was from bed bath and beyond, and really cheesy. Anything antique I would at least try to throw on ebay, but this ugly lamp wasn't even worth the shipping

View Profile of vwtikigirl Send a personal message to vwtikigirl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-18 10:10 am   Permalink

One of our daughters gave us 1 of those fiber optic palm trees with 2 plastic monkeys in it. Definately not Tiki, but still in the Tropical Kitsch mode.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-19 9:36 pm   Permalink

Actually with me when a friend gets me something that is close to tiki, I still display it. I mean, hey they thought of me when they saw the item and that's good enough for me.

But I too have come across things that where not tiki, i'll look around for photos to post in the future.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-19 10:03 pm   Permalink

Hmmmmmmm. Things that aren't tiki?

How Bout MotorHead!?

Can you imagine the "Ace of Spades" done via Exotica?

----------------------------------
ooops. I only read the title.

[ This Message was edited by: revbambooben on 2004-02-19 22:05 ]

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-20 2:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-02-19 22:03, RevBambooBen wrote:
Hmmmmmmm. Things that aren't tiki?

How Bout MotorHead!?

Can you imagine the "Ace of Spades" done via Exotica?

----------------------------------
ooops. I only read the title.

[ This Message was edited by: revbambooben on 2004-02-19 22:05 ]

Yep, I can. I was thinking the same about Rush's "Spirit of Radio" just his morning. I would also love to hear a Space Rock/Exotica/Irish Folk hybrid (Mellotron, bird calls, & tin whistles! Oh My!)...

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vintagegirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-20 4:38 pm   Permalink

I was once privileged to hear King Kukulele's version of "White Room".

View Profile of vintagegirl Send a personal message to vintagegirl  Goto the website of vintagegirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-20 4:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-02-20 16:38, vintagegirl wrote:
I was once privileged to hear King Kukulele's version of "White Room".

I once heard him sing that Gilbert & Sullivan / Tom Lehrer song about the Periodic Table.

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation