FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts The Tiki Art of Slacks Ferret- Kanaloa Kannibal Mug Glaze Tests on Page 12.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
The Tiki Art of Slacks Ferret- Kanaloa Kannibal Mug Glaze Tests on Page 12.
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-15 3:50 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

I thought I would start a thread of my various Tiki-themed art projects. I do want to say as a disclaimer right away, that I'm not as prolific as I would really like to be, so updates could be few and far between...

First up, my ceramic tiki fountain. This was the largest piece of ceramics I have ever made, not to mention, My first ever table-top water fountain.

This photo shows that I made the fountain in 3 pieces. My goal was to design a fountain that would be functional but also look pretty cool. I also wanted the eyes to glow, so I designed a little area for a tea-light to sit behind the eyes. That's why the top of the tiki's head comes off.

This photo shows the piece all assembled, but not yet bisqued, glazed or painted. In retrospect there are a few things I would have done different (like make a bigger water-collection bowl). The Tiki itself is of my own design. I worry it may not seem Polynesian enough...

Close up of the big guy after being finished with glaze and paint. Notice he is doing a little drooling here too...

Another view finished with water drooling off his tongue.

The completed fountain with succulents planted in it's nooks and crannies. The little hula girl is there to show you scale (but I guess you gotta know how big those little hula girls are). All told the piece is about a foot high.

I'll be adding other pieces as time permits.

Mahalo,

Slacks Ferret

[ This Message was edited by: Slacks Ferret 2010-02-18 08:09 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Slacks Ferret 2011-04-26 10:11 ]

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rain
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-15 4:11 pm   Permalink

supa cool!

maybe you could look into one of those little fountain mistmaker things to put in it, too.

[ This Message was edited by: Rain on 2004-02-15 16:11 ]

View Profile of Rain Send a personal message to Rain  Email Rain Goto the website of Rain     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-15 4:53 pm   Permalink

Thanks Rain.
Actually, it was always my intention to have the volcanoe mist up. I've just been too strapped to buy a mister. But I will soon. And I'll post photos once I do

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-15 6:15 pm   Permalink

Cool Slacks, i did not know you did ceramic peices. please keep the photos coming of future works.

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-16 12:28 pm   Permalink

Really cool Slacks! I've got a little pond in my back yard and am going to need some kind of spitter to keep the oxygen coming, otherwise it gets too much algae. I haven't seen anything tiki related yet, so I might have to get creative.
I bought one of those misters 3 or 4 years ago for about $80, but have seen them recently for less than $30CDN! If you can't find any cheap ones in Alberta, I'll see if I can find one for you here if you like, and send it over to you.

Keep it up!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-16 12:56 pm   Permalink

I love it. Sell me one!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-16 8:01 pm   Permalink

Hey Slacks, It wasn't lookin like much until the Glaze and Paint. Boy what a difference. Looks really Cool

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-17 09:12 am   Permalink

Those are pretty dang cool Slacks. I bet they look even better in person.
I bet some kinda tricked out lighting would probally give a killer smoke and fire look if you ever get a mister rigged up.
Unga, one of those would be great for your bar but where you gonna put it? You thinkin about expandin the bar into the kitchen?

Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-17 11:49 am   Permalink

Thanks for the comments everyone. I really appreciate the encouragement, especially since ceramics is kinda foreign to me.

I've been trying clay out since it's extremely accessible to me (the arts centre where I work has a tremendous ceramics facility). Eventually, I want to graduate to wood carving...but before that happens I'll need a space to carve (not to mention carving tools).

Until then I have ceramics to play around with. I tried plaster mold casting for the first time last week and had intended to make a few tiki mugs from the mold, but alas, it wasn't meant to be. I will try making tiki mug molds again, and when I do, I'll post the finished results here.

In the meantime here are some tiki paintings you may have already seen:

Cubist Tiki (2002) Oil on Canvas

Cephalapod Led Red Sea Peds (1998-2001) Oil on Canvas

Mahalo

Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-17 2:55 pm   Permalink

Your stuff is just down right COOL. That cephalapod painting reminds me of a dream I once had...
Quote:
I'll need a space to carve

What? You can't carve outside...in the snow?

Keep it coming...

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-12 6:04 pm   Permalink

Here's a painting I've been working on for many months, it's finaly at a point where I don't mind showing people, but keep in mind, it's not yet finished.

dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-08-12 6:25 pm   Permalink

Tikis playing Poker!
I LOVE it!!

i want i want i want i want i want i want i want!

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-12 6:36 pm   Permalink

Very nice, I like that fountin alot, and you can't go wrong with Tiki's playing poker.

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-12 9:29 pm   Permalink

Cool, a lot of different styles brought to the table.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-12 9:36 pm   Permalink

That doesn't look like a poker game where I would leave with anything of value. Those cardsharks would skin me alive. Love it

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation