FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki The Encounter
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
The Encounter
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-17 08:59 am   Permalink

Wow, very cool photos!

I never knew such a place existed. Beats Heathrow any day.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-17 09:04 am   Permalink

Meet George Jetson!! Jane his wife Their boy Leroy daughter Judy dog's name?

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-17 10:17 am   Permalink

astro

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-17 11:38 am   Permalink

Neat! Just an additional tidbit - Eddie Sotto & team at Walt Disney Imagineering were contracted to turn the restaurant into its current incarnation - Encounter - back in the late 90s.... Eddie was definately after a "Jetsons-esque" rehab of the place... The soundtrack (background music) is pretty fun too...

In the same design vein, anyone paying attention to the plight of the TWA terminal at JFK? It's now on the list of America's 11 most endangered historic places....
http://www.nationaltrust.org/11most/2003/twaterminal.html

[ This Message was edited by: Tangaroa on 2004-02-17 11:39 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tangaroa on 2004-02-17 11:42 ]

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki mick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-17 3:26 pm   Permalink

So, this was a refurbished design? It appears that they nailed the "Moderne" style pretty well then....I especially love the sign!

It remined me of when all of anaheim around Disneyland had that look!

Now, if they could just repair Tomorrowland, back to the original style...I could die happy!

View Profile of tiki mick Send a personal message to tiki mick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-02-17 3:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:
The soundtrack (background music) is pretty fun too...

I seem to remember Esquivel playing last time I was there. Not live, of course, but as the ambience music. Actually, I believe this place could have been Esquivels "space age bachelor pad"
I've only been there at night - your day pix are great! They make me want to go there tonight and have a Manhattan!

[ This Message was edited by: Polynesiac on 2004-02-17 15:51 ]

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-17 4:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-02-17 15:26, tiki mick wrote:
It remined me of when all of anaheim around Disneyland had that look!

Now, if they could just repair Tomorrowland, back to the original style...I could die happy!

I miss the old Anaheim too... not a lot left...

I think this carport is still there (at the Westcoast Anahiem)...

[img]

Yes - the Convention Center is still there - but a lot is gone too....

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev

Posted: 2004-02-17 4:18 pm   Permalink

An interesting bit of trivia about the Encounter building is that one of the contributing architects was a man named Paul Revere Williams - who was an African-American.

Although he eventually became known as the 'architect to the stars', for the first 50 years of his life he was not able to buy a home and live in the nicer parts of L.A. He succeeded despite racial prejudices early in his career - he learned to draw upside down so his uncomfortable white clients would not have to sit next to him.

In addition to the Encounter building, he was also the main architect for Frank Sinatra's 1950's bachelor pad.

A short biography on Paul Williams can be found here ...
http://www.socalhistory.org/Biographies/pwilliams.htm

A picture of architect Paul Williams in front of the Encounter Building .....
http://www.usc.edu/isd/archives/ethnicstudies/africanamerican/williams/williams_airport.html

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki mick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-18 11:04 am   Permalink

awsome Pix tangaroa!! Thanks!!!

View Profile of tiki mick Send a personal message to tiki mick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-18 12:02 pm   Permalink

Satellite Shopland mall, Katella Way, Anaheim. This is the sputnik atop the now-demolished Satellite Shopland sign with its original colors.

[ This Message was edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-02-18 14:03 ]

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki mick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-18 12:56 pm   Permalink

Unga, I totally remember that satellite!!

How cool that you have a picture of it!

tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-23 10:35 am   Permalink

What did the interior of the Theme Building (as-built name of the structure that currently houses the Encounter Lounge) look like before the Walt Disney Imagineering remodel?

I've done a bit of googling, but have not run across anything.

[ This Message was edited by: tikijackalope 2006-03-24 04:11 ]

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amiotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-23 1:46 pm   Permalink

What an amazing and cool place! Boy, do I feel stoopid! All the years I was growing up in SoCal I thought that was part of the control tower (thanks to my idiot stepfather who, of course, knew everything there was to know about everything).

Definitely need to figure out a trip that flies me into LAX...

Thanks for sharing Al!

amiotiki

View Profile of amiotiki Send a personal message to amiotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-26 07:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-23 10:35, tikijackalope wrote:
What did the interior of the Theme Building (as-built name of the structure that currently houses the Encounter Lounge) look like before the Walt Disney Imagineering remodel?

I'd love to see pics of that - I'll ask Eddie Sotto next time I see him if he took any "before" pics. Sam McKims son Matt did the rockwork - he may have something too....

ikitnrev

Posted: 2006-03-29 04:18 am   Permalink

Zippy the Pinhead paid a visit to the Encounter this past Monday.

http://zippythepinhead.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=27-Mar-06&Category_Code=m2006&Product_Count=22

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation