[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki 1945 Mystery Menehune Photo
1945 Mystery Menehune Photo
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-02-17 5:01 pm   Permalink

Just saw this auction on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3275031763&category=35804

Assuming the 1945 date is more-or-less correct, does this strange tiki correspond to any images or pictures that anyone might have seen? Is this a Menehune perhaps? I thought the carvers and historians out there might be interested in this.

Sabu

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2004-02-17 17:01 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2005-04-16 00:33 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-02-17 5:28 pm   Permalink

Sabu,

It does appear to be more menehunic in nature (great folks those menehunes!).

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-17 6:46 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-10 13:56 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-17 7:28 pm   Permalink

I'm certainly not an expert but I've been reading up on Hawaiian/South Pacific folklore lately. I haven't yet read of instances of Hawaiians carving representations of menehune. Also, most descriptions of male menehune have them clothed and having facial hair.

I think it's tempting to assume, given the alleged date of this photo being 1945, that the carving is ancient. Given that most Hawaiian tikis or idols were destroyed decades earlier, this is either an "escaped" ancient tiki or one contemporary to the first half of the 20th century. Also, I don't recall any legit ancient tikis carved standing on an existing tree stump, but I could be wrong.

I'd guess it's a tiki that was carved in the early part of the last century by a modern (for that time) island carver. It only makes sense that as anthropologists run out of artifacts to send back home that indigenous entrepeneurs would create "new" artifacts.

But then again, I reserve the right to be wholly and completely wrong on every point.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-18 06:46 am   Permalink

it's rather smurfy...

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-18 07:19 am   Permalink

I dunno, but after looking at the photos in the auction.... the piece looks sculpted rather than carved... unless its a carving thats been heavily coated with something.

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-07 02:18 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-13 11:39 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-07 11:12 am   Permalink

The mouth on the tiki looks strangely familiar...

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-16 02:07 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-13 12:24 ]

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-16 5:14 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-13 12:25 ]

SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-18 12:02 am   Permalink

Did you get a photo taken of yourself next to this guy? And did you offer to take it off their hands?

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-17 04:55 am   Permalink

I was at home last night and did a little viewing of the free pay per view movies on Comcast... I watched Gidget Goes Hawaiian - a couple tikis made an appearance and there were lots of cooly garnished cocktails on view but what I couldn't wait to report was that the same Menehune/tiki that had been discussed here also made a cameo. There was a scene where Gidget and Moondoggy were arguing directly in front of the tiki. I startled the wife when I let loose a hearty, "holy shit!" and sure enough after rewinding and pausing a couple time it was the Menehune! I would assume the movie was shot on location at the Royal Hawaiian and it was pretty cheesy but the TC connection made it all worthwhile.

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-05-19 10:53 pm   Permalink

A couple images from that...

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation