FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Psycho Suzi's Motor Lounge, Minneapolis, MN (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Psycho Suzi's Motor Lounge, Minneapolis, MN (restaurant)
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-19 12:25 pm   Permalink

All right you locals. I'm attending a conference this summer down at the convention center and I'm staying at the Millennium. How far is Psycho Suzie's from there? Won't have a car so is mass transit handy to use, or is it lame and stop running at 11:00 like some places I've been?

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-19 12:31 pm   Permalink

rent a car.....go to enterprize car rental..get a small compact for $32 a day, maybe less...save yourself the headache of tryin to get around otherwise....enjoy your trip with less hassles....and maybe even find a way to write it off on next years tax return as an added bonus...

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MNZombie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-19 1:48 pm   Permalink

[/quote]
Won't have a car so is mass transit handy to use, or is it lame and stop running at 11:00 like some places I've been?

[/quote]
If by mass transit you mean taxis, you'll be fine. The bus system is a joke and our light rail is the model of what a highly limited light rail system can be (if you are going from the Mall of America to the airport, for instance, it's great, otherwise . . . ). Make sure the cab company knows you are coming from a bar. There has been some 'issues' in the recent past with the Muslim cab drivers refusing to drive people who are drunk or have dogs. It's supposed to have stopped, but the last time we tried to get ride downtown the driver refused because he could smell liquor. He drove off before we could get a cab number or his name, so there was no way to report it.

[ This Message was edited by: MNZombie 2008-03-19 13:49 ]

View Profile of MNZombie Send a personal message to MNZombie  Email MNZombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-20 08:21 am   Permalink

"Make sure the cab company knows you are coming from a bar."

Huh, I can't remember the last time I took a cab when I wasn't leaving a bar.

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrexotica
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-28 12:57 pm   Permalink

I've been to Psycho Suzi's a coupla times. I've never encountered a friendly or efficient waitress. The first time I was there, she got pissed off at me because I ordered a virgin drink. I suppose you can go a ways based on looks. The place is cool.

It's the only hipster Tiki Bar I've been to. The last time was in August & the crowd was pretty yuppified.

I'll stick with the friendly & un-pretentious atmosphere of the Chicago places.

View Profile of mrexotica Send a personal message to mrexotica      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suffering Bastard of Stumptown
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-07 09:31 am   Permalink

I'm in Minneapolis right now at the National Conference for Media Reform, and I went to Psycho Suzie's the other day.

I have posted photos on my flickr page at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/strathkinnessjb/

the place was totally crowded on a Thursday and we needed to share a table with 3 strangers, but it was cool.

the pizza was great. The decor was great. The drinks were sweet and strong and well presented.

I am not so much the drink connoisseur as many here, so I can't tell you that much except that I enjoyed them.

Overall, I would highly recommend going here and I hope to be able to go back soon.

..sb

View Profile of Suffering Bastard of Stumptown Send a personal message to Suffering Bastard of Stumptown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-08 12:13 am   Permalink

I have never seen that Kowloon bowl with a rendering of the Kowloon A-frame exterior on it. In fact, I have never seen an A-frame on any mug. It must be fairly new.

The Hula girl on it is pretty crude, but being such a sucker for A-frames, that rendering really makes it a desirable item for me. Thanks for posting this.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-06-08 00:14 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suffering Bastard of Stumptown
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-09 10:11 am   Permalink

Sven,
I think you can still get that bowl at the Kowloon. it is a new bowl. A bunch of us got them last year some time at a NE Ohana get together.

But let's not mess up a thread about Psycho Suzie's with other photos in my Flickr account. Only the photos tagged as Psycho Suzie's are from there!

..sb

View Profile of Suffering Bastard of Stumptown Send a personal message to Suffering Bastard of Stumptown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TimboTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-22 07:26 am   Permalink

After four years of "I've gotta get to this place..." we finally made the trip to Psycho Suzi's.

The pros:
- The look and feel of the place
- Diverse crowd

The so-sos:
- The food; I know it's meant to be trailer trash but I've had better at the state fair

The cons:
- The disaffected, hipper-than-thou, inattentive attitude of the wait staff; I think they're encouraged to be like this
- the drinks -- sweet, sweet, SYRUPY and so weak they couldn't get an infant drunk

I could have dealt with everything I didn't like about the place if the drinks had been better. I am willing to give the place another couple of chances so I can work my way through the drink menu.

Sadly, this is the closest thing that Minnesota will ever have to a tiki bar...

View Profile of TimboTiki Send a personal message to TimboTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-23 10:21 pm   Permalink

send your review to the owner or manager,
they will never know if you dont tell them.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martian-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-14 10:50 pm   Permalink

My recollection is that there is a tree stump tiki at the current location that may not be able to make the move. I should try to snap some photos for this thread while it still exists.

http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/blogs/92685114.html Posted by Tom Horgen

Psycho Suzi’s planning a fall move to Gabby’s location

If everything goes according to plan, northeast Minneapolis bargoers can look forward to a supersized Psycho Suzi’s. Owner Leslie Bock says she’d like to move her popular tiki-motor lounge into Gabby’s riverside location this fall (the two bars sit six blocks away from each other). While Gabby’s owner Jeff Ormond said it is too early to comment on the negotiations, Bock said she has signed a purchase agreement.

Bock said Psycho Suzi’s has simply outgrown its digs at the corner of Marshall and Lowry. At 16,000 square feet, Gabby’s is about four times the size of Psycho Suzi’s.

Bock's Northeast gem is known for its large, expansive patio (and strong tiki drinks). She said she would relish the chance to remodel Gabby’s, especially its riverfront patio.

“I will actually have natural features to work with this time, versus creating a tropical paradise out of thin air and magic,” she said.

Gabby’s, which opened in 1986, has become a late-night haven for hip-hop dance music in recent years. Bock said she would consider live entertainment, but probably more in line with Psycho Suzi’s kitschy/artsy/hipster vibe.

One thing Ormond did say was the deal is far from done -- and Gabby’s will continue to operate as normal. Southern rapper Young Dro performs there on Wednesday.

Bock is no stranger to revamping old bars. She opened Donny Dirk's Zombie Den in the former Stand Up Frank's last year.

[ This Message was edited by: martian-tiki 2010-08-14 22:55 ]

View Profile of martian-tiki Send a personal message to martian-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MNZombie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-08-15 06:03 am   Permalink

The deal may be further along then the article claims When I was there 2 weeks ago there was a sing in front of the new location saying "future home of Psycho Suzi's."

View Profile of MNZombie Send a personal message to MNZombie  Email MNZombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martian-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-15 10:33 pm   Permalink

That article was also from May.

the Diner's Drive-in and Dives episode as long as I'm posting...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsBrTl_bb4c

View Profile of martian-tiki Send a personal message to martian-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MNZombie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-10-16 10:36 am   Permalink

It's nice to see that Suzi's produced their own mug through Tiki Farm.

PenTiki

Posted: 2010-10-21 12:57 pm   Permalink

Would it be so hard to have a place like this in Texas let alone Houston? Sometimes I just hate this town.

View Profile of PenTiki Send a personal message to PenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation