[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Sambo's restaurants...pictures
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Sambo's restaurants...pictures
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-17 5:18 pm   Permalink

Anyone remember these? We always ate at the Anaheim one in the morning before family trips to Disneyland.... (oops! this has already been discussed - http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic-new.php?topic=6286&forum=6) - I should have titled this Sambo's restaurants...pictures

[ This Message was edited by: Tangaroa on 2004-02-17 17:23 ]

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-02-17 5:33 pm   Permalink

The Royal Inn in Alameda still stands as a Day's Inn with the adjoining coffee shop but it's no longer Sambo's.

However, the Linoaks motel is closed and will be torn down to build a new public library. At least it's not going to be a Walgreen's!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-17 6:26 pm   Permalink

More Sambo's info. I do miss the one one we use to go to at the corner of Bristol Street and West Dyer Road in Santa Ana. IHOP (International House of Pancakes) took it over after Sambo's moved out a few decades ago.

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-17 9:11 pm   Permalink

Great stuff Tangaroa. So not only do you collect tiki, Sea World and other theme park items, you also collect Sambo's?

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-18 11:37 am   Permalink

Sorry, double post, this should be here, not in the other thread.

That story was one of my favorites when I was a child. My Grandparents lived in India during the war(grandpa was a doctor with the British army, grandma a nurse) and my Dad was born there.(Whitbread is the last name, a very English/Scottish family) My Grandma had this book at her house, and I loved to read it, especially since I'm an animal lover. I loved the part where the tigers ran around a tree, eventually turning into butter, which was eaten with a big stack of pancakes! Sooo silly. The book I loved is one I haven't seen anywhere else. It was big and thin, softcover with big beautiful pictures. I still search for it on e-bay, but haven't seen it yet. It's amazing all the memorabilia and restaurants associated with this story, apparently made up by a lady to keep her children occupied. Sadly it was changed to be more 'pc'(a turban added to the boy to make him look more Indian). Personally, I loved the original.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-18 2:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-02-17 21:11, ZuluMagoo wrote:
Great stuff Tangaroa. So not only do you collect tiki, Sea World and other theme park items, you also collect Sambo's?

I wish I really did have a good Sambo's collection! The new baby & house take most of my money these days....

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-18 4:37 pm   Permalink

There used to be a Sambo's close to where I lived in the 'burbs of Ft. Lauderdale. They changed it to a Hooters a LONG time ago.

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc on 2004-02-18 19:25 ]

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-18 4:52 pm   Permalink

There was on in Ocean Beach on Voltaire, I think, unitl the mid 80's.
TG
Tiki Gardens Memorial
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-18 5:11 pm   Permalink

There was a Sambo's in Torrance (or was it Harbor Gateway?) on Western just north of Sepulveda. We didn't eat there much when I was a kid; mostly we went to Alphy's on Sepulveda near Crenshaw, where they had a cookie club for kids. Both are long gone, but I think they're still there as some other coffee shop.

I seem to recall that a lot of Sambo's restaurants became Season's in the early 1980s, then later Season's morphed into Bakers Square.

Season's, you may recall, was where Spinal Tap designed the Stonehenge model for their tour.

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-18 10:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-02-18 17:11, cynfulcynner wrote:

There was a Sambo's in Torrance...
I seem to recall that a lot of Sambo's restaurants became Season's in the early 1980s, then later Season's morphed into Bakers Square.

There was a Sambo's in Torrance, just a stone's throw from the Latitude 20 on PCH. After morphing into a Season's, it later became 'Godfather's Pizza', was vacant for a looong time and is now a paint store. My folks would take me there as a child and I was always transfixed by the mosaics above the counter depicting the story of "Little Black Sambo" and the whole tigers-turning-into-butter thing. Made me wonder what I was actually eating with MY pancakes...

Oh, and the Alphie's is now a Denny's.

[ This Message was edited by: Doctor Z on 2004-02-18 22:44 ]

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-18 10:43 pm   Permalink

Teitelbaum took some pics of the former Sambo's in Seattle when he was visiting in October, maybe he'll post them here? The exterior is pretty cool, but they've painted it a green I'm not fond of. The interior is fairly intact, and still has the same light fixtures in the picture above.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-01 7:57 pm   Permalink

Yo tangoroa, awsome photos!!, got me all mushy inside after taking in the era that was so damn fun....for us kids!. I am sure it has been stated, but the original sambos is serving food daily in santa barbra cal.I had no idea they still existed till my wife and I got a room next door to it on our honeymoon.Just a short walk north from state street where it meets the ocean.Awsome food and lots of t-shirts for the brave!.And yes, there were people of color eating there!.

[ This Message was edited by: twowheelin'tiki on 2004-03-01 20:07 ]

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-02 1:10 pm   Permalink

Thanks! Anyone else have some pictures to post...?

TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-04 01:35 am   Permalink

I swear I have a postcard of a Sambos that has a tiki sitting outside of it.

Oh now I have to see if my memory serves me right.

TG

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-04 2:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-04 01:35, TikiGardener wrote:
I swear I have a postcard of a Sambos that has a tiki sitting outside of it.

That..... would be completely godhead.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation