FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Don the Beachcomber Mug Question
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Don the Beachcomber Mug Question
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-18 2:03 pm   Permalink

Aloha all,

I recently purchased a Don the Beachcomber mug. It's the one of his bust wearing a Panama hat. Does anybody have more information about this mug or know where I could look it up? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mahalo,
MachTiki

[ This Message was edited by: MachTiki on 2004-08-02 09:40 ]

[ This Message was edited by: MachTiki on 2005-01-17 11:11 ]

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-18 2:12 pm   Permalink

Welcome to TC MachTiki.
I do not know the true value, but here are some pics for reference.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-02-18 2:34 pm   Permalink

Thankfully, there isn't yet a book (that I've seen) that has tiki mug values. I know it is fairly rare. It's worth whatever you think it's worth to you. I may pay someone $20-30 at a flea market for one if I saw it, while someone else might bid $100 for one on Ebay. The value is relative.

Send it to me and I'll appraise it for you

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-18 2:45 pm   Permalink

Thanks to eveyone who has already responded. The mug I bought is exactly the one pictured first by Unga Bunga (thanks for the pics). I also agree that value to me and actual value are totally different. I'm just excited to have it in the collection. I don't plan on selling it, just curious.

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-18 4:26 pm   Permalink

And, at this point, who knows the value of a mug? You might speak to relative rarity, but the values on Ebay are changing all the time. So maybe such a book isn't possible to write. Or maybe, it would lower the market, as the prices on Ebay seem to edge higher and higher.

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-18 4:50 pm   Permalink

I sold one on ebay, similar to the 1st pic in Unga Bunga's post, for about $170, and recently sold one of much lower quality for about $50.... if that helps....

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-18 5:01 pm   Permalink

Not near as rare as the highly-sought-after "Moai The Beachcomber" mug.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-18 5:06 pm   Permalink

TraderPup, thanks! That helps a TON! I just wasn't sure if this mug was rare or pretty common.

MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-18 5:11 pm   Permalink

"Moai The Beachcomber", eh?! Why do I get the feeling there are going to be a ton of "... the Beachcomber" pics. All the same, thanks for posting your highly-sought-after mug.

ModMana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-18 6:36 pm   Permalink

About 2 years ago I saw the gold version at a flea market. The seller wanted $50.00. I walked away from it because he refused to bargain with me...I wanted to get him down to at least $40.00. Then, about 2 weeks later I saw one exactly like it on eBay. After emailing the seller about it I realized it was the same mug (and the same seller). It sold for $133.00...doh!

I saw the green version on eBay last month go for $330.00 and a gold one go for $292.00 (both in great condition). I guess those could be interpreted as the current "high roller" prices for a Don mug in good shape.

ModMana

View Profile of ModMana Send a personal message to ModMana  Email ModMana     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-18 11:20 pm   Permalink

You should also note however, that the Don Head/Bust mug comes in different sizes. One has a long neck and one has a short neck. If you look at Unga's pics, the top one has the short neck and the bottom has a long neck. If I'm correct, the short necks are more rare thus, should probably sell for more money. Also, Don the Beachcomber has several styles, sizes and colors of their Rum Barrel mug. The small white (squarish) one was the most common while the large brown/beige (roundish) was more rare.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ModMana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-19 01:21 am   Permalink

Short Don (Gold), Tall Don (Gold), Tall Don (Green)

You might also want to note that the hat on these mugs is a seperate piece that has been permanently attached. On most of the mugs I've seen there is a huge gap between the hat and the head where the pieces were poorly joined. Something else to look for if you want one of these...

ModMana

View Profile of ModMana Send a personal message to ModMana  Email ModMana     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-02-19 12:01 pm   Permalink

Another important thing to note is that this thread belongs in Collecting Tiki. Moving now...

thanks.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-19 12:40 pm   Permalink

I think the long-neck Don looks kinda like the new and improved Don the Beachcomber, rather than the actual Don (as seen in postcards) that lost his mainland franchises to his wife. I wonder if that's why the mugs are different.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-19 12:57 pm   Permalink

Damit! Damit! Damit! Damit! Damit!
I just missed buying this item by a day.
Story of my life.
(Scroll down to middle of page)
http://www.proppersource.com/PropSales/clearanc.htm

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation